Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Fall/Winter 2014

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I assume the nikka from barrel is from overseas?

As far as I know. It is sold in a half liter bottle which apparently is a great big sin according to US regulations. Why, I have no idea. Although I think K&L had it available very briefly.

I purchased a Balvenie Tun 1401, batch 6 today.

Was it in the wild? Hard to believe something like that would last so long

Was it in the wild? Hard to believe something like that would last so long
Indeed it was in the wild. Folk in this part of Maryland don't appear to crave hard to find scotches nearly as much as they do bourbons.

Picked up one (plus three for the bunker) 700ml bottles of Famous Grouse 18YO Blended Malt (Vatted Malt) for $21 each. I can't say it is my first choice, but it will be a nice aged drink and I have bottles to bring out for social occasions. Not only is it pretty good, but 18 years is always welcome with the general public!

The bottles were on sale, normally about $26 or so. I live in a country where bourbon is hard to come by, but Scotch is a plenty (including $30-35ish Johnny Green which is everywhere). I think Taiwan is strategic market for booze companies, it may be seen as a trend setter for China, so medium range juice gets discounted deeply due to fierce competition.

Hmmm, looks like Taiwan is the #1 Market for Malts. That doesn't sound right as it is a smallish country, but still impressive:

http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/manufacturers/insight/alerts/Pages/OpportunitiesforIrishwhiskeyintheMaturingTaiwaneseMarket.aspx?year=2014&wk=19

Hmmms, seems the Irish got it wrong, Taiwan overtook France to be #2 behind the USA. That would make Taiwan #1 Ex-USA. That is still pretty crazy, Taiwan only has around 23 million people. But channels are huge here, convenience stores carry liquor. I can walk 5 minutes in any direction in Taipei and find a shop selling single malts lol.

http://www.foodnavigator-asia.com/Markets/Asia-driving-global-malt-whisky-growth

Edited by Vadertime

Wound up grabbing a Knappogue Castle 12, Auchentoshan 12, and Glenmorangie 18. All 3 are new to me, so excited to get into them!

Stopped by one of the better liquor stores in town to see what they got in this week and found 12 ETL. Picked one up and had a double to close out the evening

Just got a bottle of Springbank 15 year, so far I may like the Cask Strength 12 year better. More depth, flavor, better mouthfeel. Anybody have thoughts on the 18 year vs. 15 year?

Just got a bottle of Springbank 15 year, so far I may like the Cask Strength 12 year better. More depth, flavor, better mouthfeel. Anybody have thoughts on the 18 year vs. 15 year?

Hm... I was contemplating the 15 also after falling in love with the 12 this last week. Looks like I might try to find a taste at a bar prior to buying blind.

Hm... I was contemplating the 15 also after falling in love with the 12 this last week. Looks like I might try to find a taste at a bar prior to buying blind.

I actually recently had these two blind and found that I slightly prefer the 15 to the 12. It may be lacking the proof of the 12 CS, but makes up for it in nice depth and complexity (imo).. and the 92 proof still works quite nicely for it.

To continue with the Springbank Theme for the day: I received the two teenage Springbanks I ordered awhile back. 1993/2012 Duncan Taylor Dimension Springbank 18. Bottle 17 of 243; the low bottle count and color make me hopeful that it's been aged in bourbon instead of sherry. I've heard that Springbanks aged in bourbon, while rare as hens' teeth, can be excellent. Either way it's a Springer, so I'm sure it'll be very tasty. Second was an OB refill sherry Springbank 17 CS (57%). I had this bottling at Jack Rose and absolutely loved it. Very glad to have a bottle of my own.

Grabbed a Nadurra 16. I've been quite fond of sherry lately and have been tempted by the new oloroso edition, but I've heard so many good things about the original that I had to try it.

I actually recently had these two blind and found that I slightly prefer the 15 to the 12. It may be lacking the proof of the 12 CS, but makes up for it in nice depth and complexity (imo).. and the 92 proof still works quite nicely for it.

For me, I found the Springbank 15 a bit closed off nosing it. But it was the first pour after opening. So I let it sit in the glass for about 20 minutes and it did wonders. Classic Springbank flavors, and a bit more salt and brine in the finish compared to the 12 CS. It's my first Springbank 15 and am looking for many more pours!

To continue with the Springbank Theme for the day: I received the two teenage Springbanks I ordered awhile back. 1993/2012 Duncan Taylor Dimension Springbank 18. Bottle 17 of 243; the low bottle count and color make me hopeful that it's been aged in bourbon instead of sherry. I've heard that Springbanks aged in bourbon, while rare as hens' teeth, can be excellent. Either way it's a Springer, so I'm sure it'll be very tasty. Second was an OB refill sherry Springbank 17 CS (57%). I had this bottling at Jack Rose and absolutely loved it. Very glad to have a bottle of my own.

Where can you find the Springbank 17 CS? That sounds amazing.

Where can you find the Springbank 17 CS? That sounds amazing.

Binny's - Just call b/c sometimes things aren't listed online - I've seen several cool OB finished versions of multiple ages. Not sure if they deliver out of state

Binny's - Just call b/c sometimes things aren't listed online - I've seen several cool OB finished versions of multiple ages. Not sure if they deliver out of state

I just found out that the state of Minnesota does not allow shipping in of liquor...argh!

I just found out that the state of Minnesota does not allow shipping in of liquor...argh!
You should check your PMs . . .

Purchased a GlenDronach 12 today for $55. I haven't seen this on the shelf much as of late, so I figured I'd pick one up. I went out with the intent of buying another G&M Mortlach 15, but the stores I went to either wanted $95 for them, or were sold out. I can literally have them shipped to my house for $15-$20 cheaper, so I passed. At an rate, I get the impression that this is the new bottling, but it's hard to tell. I found a 1402 on the bottom of the bottle, but otherwise can't seem to find a bottling date. If anyone has any info on the 1402 or where to find the bottling date, I'd be much obliged. Mostly it's for personal edification, since it's going down my gullet new or old.

A good buddy hooked me up with a Smokey Joe Islay Malt. How could I resist that! :lol: it just became my new house scotch.

Purchased a GlenDronach 12 today for $55. I haven't seen this on the shelf much as of late, so I figured I'd pick one up. I went out with the intent of buying another G&M Mortlach 15, but the stores I went to either wanted $95 for them, or were sold out. I can literally have them shipped to my house for $15-$20 cheaper, so I passed. At an rate, I get the impression that this is the new bottling, but it's hard to tell. I found a 1402 on the bottom of the bottle, but otherwise can't seem to find a bottling date. If anyone has any info on the 1402 or where to find the bottling date, I'd be much obliged. Mostly it's for personal edification, since it's going down my gullet new or old.

Indeed, when I said "new bottling," that is what I meant. I'm excited to try it. Bet it's delicious.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.