A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First bottle was a 2.3. Disclosing fully, I pretty much loved this before tasting it: I like-to-love every bottling of HW I've ever tasted; I did graduate work in Shakesp. and teach him now; and the Rendezvous + Port Barrel seemed like an ideal marriage for me. The 2.3 met my expectations; I love it.

Picked up a couple of bottles of the 2.6 and was initially pretty shaken by how hot it was in comparison, but after a couple of days airing-out it's settled really well. Perhaps a bit more delicate than the 2.3 but just as damned good. Thinking about it now I wonder if the port flavors aren't actually better integrated in the 2.6.

I just bought Act 2.7 yesterday and it is quite good. I'm getting the fruity flavors up front to start and then they fade into a nice, spicy rye.

First bottle was a 2.3. Disclosing fully, I pretty much loved this before tasting it: I like-to-love every bottling of HW I've ever tasted; I did graduate work in Shakesp. and teach him now; and the Rendezvous + Port Barrel seemed like an ideal marriage for me. The 2.3 met my expectations; I love it.

Picked up a couple of bottles of the 2.6 and was initially pretty shaken by how hot it was in comparison, but after a couple of days airing-out it's settled really well. Perhaps a bit more delicate than the 2.3 but just as damned good. Thinking about it now I wonder if the port flavors aren't actually better integrated in the 2.6.

As I recall from my recent conversation with David Perkins it is not just port pipes but also French oak (presumably used wine barrels but not port) which adds a spicy element to the dram. Each batch is blended to be similar but no two are ever going to be exactly the same.

As I recall from my recent conversation with David Perkins it is not just port pipes but also French oak (presumably used wine barrels but not port) which adds a spicy element to the dram. Each batch is blended to be similar but no two are ever going to be exactly the same.

Wish Dave could have hung out longer last Saturday, but always a pleasure to get a chance to say hi. We had at least two different batches on the table, and while not a studied sbs comparison - I found them to be pretty similar. To your point - they'll never be identical, but close enough that I won't geek out trying to collect various acts. Love the stuff HW is doing!

• 1 month later...

I thought the act 2.3 was decent, but not something that I would buy. Then, in a fit of illogic, I bought a bottle of the act 2.7. I will followup with tasting notes when it gets cracked.

I thought the act 2.3 was decent, but not something that I would buy. Then, in a fit of illogic, I bought a bottle of the act 2.7. I will followup with tasting notes when it gets cracked.

I actually liked Act 2.x better than 1 but will have to revisit them SBS again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.