What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Fall/Winter 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I like your style!
Thanks! I find I often do my best work with a glass of whisky in my hand. Tonight it was Bowmore Tempest Batch 2, followed by the same Mortlach 15. The Mortlach is about half empty now, and has taken on a nice "scotchy" profile I recognize from JWBlack in addition to the sherry and Christmas Spices. The Bowmore Tempest . . . does not make me a seeker of more Bowmore. It's nice enough, but there is something missing from it that I get from Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Port Charlotte, Octomore, Kilchoman, etc. Just doesn't really do it for me. I still want to try a sherry aged Bowmore before I write the distillery off entirely, but there's something about Tempest. Maybe it's the lack of medicinal/phenolic flavors I get from the others I mentioned. Or the chocolatey flavors I get from Caol Ila or Lagavulin. Tempest appears to be less intense but earthier, with significant salinity (which I normally like). At any rate, I'll definitely try a sherried expression, but Tempest batch 2 is officially on my "meh" list. Like it, but wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice it to Mamie Taylors. Won't buy another unless I notice a significant shift in my palate.

Started the evening with a dram of Balvenie 15 Single Cask bottled Nov. 2013, and will be moving on to a Springbank 15. I am really enjoying the Balvenie 15 now, it's been opened for about 3 weeks and is 50% full.

Ben Webster and Art Tatum are on the stereo, a good way to spend a Friday evening!

Smokey Joe Islay Malt. This is the greatest Islay ever!!! :D

I still want to try a sherry aged Bowmore before I write the distillery off entirely, but there's something about Tempest.

Bowmore is the most polarizing of the Islay distilleries, probably because the profile is not as in your face smoke/peat as the others. If you get the chance try (before you buy) 10yo "Devil's Casks", 15yo "Laimrig" (both complete sherry maturation) or 15yo "Darkest" (sherry finish).

Bowmore is the most polarizing of the Islay distilleries, probably because the profile is not as in your face smoke/peat as the others. If you get the chance try (before you buy) 10yo "Devil's Casks", 15yo "Laimrig" (both complete sherry maturation) or 15yo "Darkest" (sherry finish).
the first two are on my list to try for sure, but I'll give Darkest a shot if I can't find them. I was surprised that I wasn't a fan, to be honest. I absolutely love a number of lightly and moderately peated spirits. It's a head scratcher for me.

Small pour of Shieldaig Highland Single Malt, while continuing the tasting of value pours (only single malt for under $20 that I've enjoyed enough to buy a bottle of).

Tonight is a rare two-dram night. I started out with some Bunnahabhain 12 (old presentation) followed by some 8-Yr Port Charlotte SMWS 127.1.

Bowmore Tempest Batch 2 again. As the bottle has gone down, the odd floral thing appears to have lifted off a bit. This is starting to remind me a bit of Lagavulin 12, but the peat is earthier and there's a lot more young spirity sweetness. I don't think I'll buy another bottle, but it's been interesting to try. A very different take on Islay. If nothing else, it has helped me refine "citrus rind" from "bitter."

Edited by garbanzobean

Was watching an old Ralfy review of Bowmore Tempest Batch 1 (Episode 151 if you're interested), where he stated that Bowmore Legend was akin to "getting beat up by bouncers at the Moulon Rouge" with its floral lavender, violet, etc notes. I'd say that's true of Tempest Batch 2 as well, at least for me. Maybe I have a low tolerance for those particular flavors in scotch whisky. It's odd, because I don't mind the floral notes I get out of Four Roses bourbons in the least. In fact, I like them.

Small taste of Macallan 15yr Fine Oak (thanks to a fellow SB'er!) Tasty pour, with the sherry still prominent but some other interesting things going on. Need to revisit with a fresh palate in the future before making up my mind, but this introduction definitely has me leaning towards picking one up (which would make it the only Macallan label in the cabinet).

Poured my 50mL sample bottle of Amrut Fusion. Very tasty stuff! I may have to spring for a full bottle.

Moved on to Ardmore Traditional Cask. For a sub-$30 peated single malt, this is quite nice.

Now some CB Hedonism. Nice delicate flavors.

Had a real shitty day at work, so I'm kicking back with a glass of Alc-hem-ist Springbank 10. Looking at the SMWSA website and considering buying a membership again . . . Their frequent teenage Caol Ila offerings at "relatively" reasonable prices make it tempting not to jump on it.

Edited by garbanzobean

Had a real shitty day at work, so I'm kicking back with a glass of Alc-hem-ist Springbank 10. Looking at the SMWSA website and considering buying a membership again . . . Their frequent teenage Caol Ila offerings at "relatively" reasonable prices make it tempting not to jump on it.

Mmmmmmmmmm, that is one tasty pour.

Bummer to hear...

I'll pour one of these to go with your Campbeltown malt:

15512209250_70362a9c88_z.jpg

Live to fight another day!

Thanks to some kind assistance from a fellow SBer I received this yesterday.

post-8493-14489821658752_thumb.jpg

Arrived at the house just moments before I was to leave for our Wednesday tasting. Obviously couldn't wait to try this one so it joined the party as the guest star! Brought along what is left of the K&L Chieftain's Mortlach 22yo as a comparison. It weighed in at 115.6 proof and the nose was a touch hot initially so I gave it a few minutes of airtime before going in. First sip was still a little feisty but after a bit more time it calmed down nicely to become a nice pour at proof. A touch of spice on the front of the tongue quickly was enveloped by the rich raison-y sherry fruit notes that stayed in place well into the finish and beyond. This was a very vibrant whisky with out much wood overtones that I could discern. Didn't add water this time so will need to try a drop or two next time.

The Chieftains was remarkably similar but its advanced age began to show in the back of the palate and into the finish with more mature earthy wood notes. Still there was a plethora of rich raison/fruit flavors and the finish was again long and satisfying.

Both are highly enjoyable but in a SBS blind tasting I think I would still choose the Chieftain for that fantastic earthy character that adds some complexity to the fruit on the palate and finish. The Chieftain has become one of my favorite bottles and it will be sad to see it go especially knowing that there is no more to be had.

Edited by tanstaafl2
Meant I received it yesterday, not today.

I grabbed a few Malts of Scotland samples when I was in Europe recently. One of them was a heavily sherried Tormore from 1988. Enjoyed it, especially for the unique notes in the finish. Also, this was my first time trying a Tormore.

Excited to crack The Macallan Cask Strength, and it is as lovely and intense as I remembered my small prior taste.

Bummer to hear...

I'll pour one of these to go with your Campbeltown malt:

15512209250_70362a9c88_z.jpg

Live to fight another day!

Thanks brother. The rest of my week went pretty well. BTW, because of this post, I'm probably going to cave and grab a bottle of Longrow 10 soon. If you are loving it that much, I clearly need to turn my wallet upside down on it as well . . .

Tonight I'm finishing off the dregs of my G&M Mortlach 15 (thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end), and will be opening up something else. BTW the Mortlach 15 gets a solid B+ from me (keep in mind I'm not a huge speysider fan, and I enjoyed the bottle enough to buy another). I'd say this was a rare case where I thought the beginning/end of the bottle was nicer than the middle, but I enjoyed the entire thing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.