E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This one is on my list passed one up earlier this yr, and regretted it, had a taste afterwards and I do like it the best out of what I have tasted from that series, SB and the SmB, the rye was pretty tasty as well. On another note , do they still make the Sour mash version, used to see that around but haven't for a long time.

I still think the rye may be the best of the bunch but $70 or so seems a bit steep for a NAS that is probably well under 10 years. It needs to be closer to the Small Batch price of $40 for me to look for it as a regular choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a list of the different releases and the corresponding proofs I know of 3 releases, but there may be more.

Not sure exactly, but the current release is 129 proof, and it is darn good IMO. I haven't tried any of the earlier releases to compare it to.

I picked up a bottle today in Northwest Arkansas. We tasted it next to Bookers 25th. Both of us liked the CEHT better. I paid $74.99 for mine. The store also had a bottle of Pappy 20 he got in 3 days ago. He only wanted $599 for it.

I finally got to try my bottle. I rank it righ up there with some of the Stagg Sr. years. Compared it to 2010 and liked the Taylor better.

Picked up a bottle today. Not as hard hitting as some barrel proofs but really drinkable and smooth. Fortunately, my guy has a couple of cases so I will go and pick another up for the bunker.

I ordered a bottle as a result of this thread - looking forward to trying it!

[ATTACH]19739[/ATTACH]

I hope you also picked up the bottle to the left.

Man, 6 of these showed up at a local store the other day and one fine gentleman bought 5 of them as they were being stocked, ugh. I've never been a huge fan of the EH line, but anything that's getting good reviews I'm up for a try.

I bought two bottles at under $70 each. After tasting it that night, when I went back the next day to pick up the one left on the shelf, it was gone. I forget where I read it, but I had read that BT tweaked things with this new 129 proof as I gather reviews were a bit mixed with the earlier release. I think they did a bang-up job with the 129 proof release, and if you find it for a reasonable price, I'd endorse a buy.

Don't know about mixed reviews for batch #1, but I for one though it was hands down one of the best tasting bourbons I've ever had. Granted, I'm still far shy of having tried a fair number of the BTAC line, so I can't make any comparisons there, but for the money it's well worth it.

Just picked up a bottle of batch #2, haven't opened it yet since I've got too many things open at the moment, but will definitely do a SBS before too long.

Definitely pick one up if you can.

I hope you also picked up the bottle to the left.

I did.

And to the right...

I did that too - but this is a CEHTBP thread. :lol:

There have only been two releases of the barrel proof. 134.5 and 129.0

Wait a minute, my bottle says 135.4 proof - what batch do I have? Was that a typo by LCWoody?

Looks like now I'm gonna have to hunt down a 129'er. (Oh, darn it all to heck! :rolleyes:)

I had the first release and found it undrinkable neat, on ice, with water . . . completely unbalanced for my taste. Too hot neat and water brought out a bitter oak.

That being said, I bought a 129 proof bottle to try, we'll see if a fool got parted from his money twice.

I bought two bottles at under $70 each. After tasting it that night, when I went back the next day to pick up the one left on the shelf, it was gone. I forget where I read it, but I had read that BT tweaked things with this new 129 proof as I gather reviews were a bit mixed with the earlier release. I think they did a bang-up job with the 129 proof release, and if you find it for a reasonable price, I'd endorse a buy.

I had another pour of the 129pf last night, and unless my palate and mind are playing tricks on me, this is really top-level stuff IMO. Curious to hear others' thoughts as more people pick up the new release.

Edited by jeffrey r

I had another pour of the 129pf last night, and unless my palate and mind are playing tricks on me, this is really top-level stuff IMO. Curious to hear others' thoughts as more people pick up the new release.

Your palate is not playing tricks on you...I also have the 129...I really, really enjoy this. Spicy caramel...amazing.

Yea, one of the best barrel proof bourbons I've had all year, definitely better than MMCS, I would say on pair with ECBP and HHSS quality-wise. With all the insanity surrounding other release, its nice to be able to walk into a store and pick up a high quality barrel proof bourbon from a major distiller for around 70 bucks. No waiting in line, no raffle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.