E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I haven't seen this in a while. Any one see any in the Indy area?

Yep, it's definitely around. PM me if you want a pointer.

I loved the first 2 releases of this. Yes NAS but I was out BT lab when they working on this and recall it was 9 years old at least on 1st release. The 129 proof is just now out in Texas and I suspect maybe a larger release; I've seen it at several stores and on the shelf for $68-$75. I grabbed a couple but have not tried it yet.

Lots of praise here for the 129 proof release. I haven't opened mine yet, but it sounds like I need to.

If this one had an age statement, it would check all the right boxes. I think bt is afraid of it encroaching on stagg. Same mashbill and barrel proof.

I feel like I'm the only person disappointed with this. It strongly reminds me of John J. Bowman. It's got that same cloying sweetness to me. I'd much rather have another bottle of ECBP over this which is a shame as I was really looking forward to this bottle. I'm hoping it grows on me.

Anybody side by side this with stagg jr? I had my foray into stagg jr. at a bar so I'm not sure which batch it was but I see why that was reviewed negatively. Still I liked it warts and all. A slightly more refined pour is closer to what I'm looking for.

If this one had an age statement, it would check all the right boxes. I think bt is afraid of it encroaching on stagg. Same mashbill and barrel proof.

I disagree, I don't think the product necessarily needs an age statement. That being said since it appears to be an annual release and somewhat allocated release, a note on its origin for each batch would be nice. Similar in how Stagg and WLW come with a distillation date and info on the warehouses and placement. Gives them the flexibility on the profile but provides the wanted info on the batch, considering the premium price and the limited availability, this doesn't seem much more to ask.

I disagree, I don't think the product necessarily needs an age statement. That being said since it appears to be an annual release and somewhat allocated release, a note on its origin for each batch would be nice. Similar in how Stagg and WLW come with a distillation date and info on the warehouses and placement. Gives them the flexibility on the profile but provides the wanted info on the batch, considering the premium price and the limited availability, this doesn't seem much more to ask.

It just would be nice to have more info.

Anybody side by side this with stagg jr? I had my foray into stagg jr. at a bar so I'm not sure which batch it was but I see why that was reviewed negatively. Still I liked it warts and all. A slightly more refined pour is closer to what I'm looking for.

I can't speak for the latest batches of ether, but IMO Stagg Jr 1 & 2 <<< CEHTBP batch 2. I don't have interest in checking out batch 3 of Stagg Jr since i still have two nearly full bottles yet.

Haven't opened it yet. Both of my bottles are 134.5 and $79 for my area is ok. Every bottle of CETH I've had I've enjoyed so this was a no brainer.

Had some of the 134.5 last night and for the first time (for me) it was exceptional. I had this bottle open for 6-7 months now and though I've liked it, it hasn't wowed me. Last night I tried it in a larger glass (stemless white wine glass) instead of a glencairn and this may have helped it quite a bit. I've heard others theorize that glencairns can pinch the nose of some higher proof bourbons. I also got my water ratio just right as I've now gone full geek and use an eye dropper. All of the above, combined, resulted in something that was reminiscent of Stagg for me. I enjoyed it so much that I went back for another and it was just as good. I'll try it again tonight to determine if I have it wired or if last night was just a good palate night for this particular whiskey.

I think you're right about fitting the tasting glass aperture to the whiskey, Flahute.

I haven't been on land in a long time, so haven't been able to put the theory into practice, but I think that the characteristics of a bourbon are going to determine the ideal width of the top of the glass.

I think the Glencairn is going to be good for faint and subtle whiskeys, the Canadian Glencairn for the in betweens...and I've got the feeling that this may be the ticket for the snarling barrel-proof beasties:

http://www.bruichladdich.com/whisky-shop/gifts/the-laddie-tumbler

I think you're right about fitting the tasting glass aperture to the whiskey, Flahute.

I haven't been on land in a long time, so haven't been able to put the theory into practice, but I think that the characteristics of a bourbon are going to determine the ideal width of the top of the glass.

I think the Glencairn is going to be good for faint and subtle whiskeys, the Canadian Glencairn for the in betweens...and I've got the feeling that this may be the ticket for the snarling barrel-proof beasties:

http://www.bruichladdich.com/whisky-shop/gifts/the-laddie-tumbler

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.