What cocktail are you enjoying Fall/Winter 2014

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After the first try I bumped up the rye content to make it more like a 2:1 ratio which I preferred to the original recipe I posted. I'll try it without the vermouth next...

I should clarify that I used both Angostura bitters AND Regan's orange bitters as per the Washington Post variation.

Always enjoyed Jason Wilson's column in the Washington Post so was sorry to see him retire. He was "ombibulous" like me!

Checked out a new (to me) cocktail bar last night. One of their house cocktails is a Manhattan made with High West Campfire. An interesting take. I enjoyed it.

Checked out a new (to me) cocktail bar last night. One of their house cocktails is a Manhattan made with High West Campfire. An interesting take. I enjoyed it.

Which place?

16 character....

I actually tried this at home, soon after buying my first bottle of HWCF.

It is an interesting spin.

I got some Bittermilk No.1 (Old Fashioned) a few days ago.

Mixed one up with it and some OGD114.

Not bad. Sweeter than i expected, but a pretty quick and easy way to make an old-fashioned (because it's sooooo hard to mix one from scratch :rolleyes:)

Old Fashioned with Old Forester Signature. Very Good. I like mine with a splash of simple syrup, four shakes of Angostura bitters, two shakes of orange bitters and enough Signature to put a little lead in my pencil.

So, in trying to find a drink my wife might like (she's partial to a Colorado Bulldog),I saw some Kahlua Peppermint Mocha in the store the other day.

I remembered how angry she was when NesCafe discontinued their 5 Calorie instant Peppermint mocha, so I grabbed a bottle. Then I stopped by the grocery store and picked up a carton of the Starbucks Peppermint mocha.

They both sat here for several days until I decided to make her a drink myself.

I tasted the Kahlua, and as expected, it was extremely sweet (but she likes that). The Starbucks was not as sweet as I knew she'd like it, but the two combined were perfect.

I let her taste it, and she thought it was pretty good. Then I drank the rest...:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

BT Mashbill #1 Manhattan

1oz GTS

1oz Buffalo Trace

1 oz Cocchi di Torino

2 dashes Woodford Cherry Bitters

stirred on a giant cube

Old Fashioned with Old Forester Signature. Very Good. I like mine with a splash of simple syrup, four shakes of Angostura bitters, two shakes of orange bitters and enough Signature to put a little lead in my pencil.

I hate to ask but what is the number on that Lead Pencil?

Threw together a few cocktails for a Holiday party this weekend that featured three "Christmas" cocktails. New York Christmas featured Irish Whiskey, the California Christmas featured tequila and mezcal and the Kentucky Christmas naturally featured bourbon.

Kentucky Christmas

1 oz Knob Creek 120 proof bourbon

1 oz Aperol

1 1⁄2 oz Grapefruit juice

1⁄2 oz Lime juice

Shake, strain, lowball, rocks

Needs the extra proof to balance out the other ingredients and Knob Creek did the job well. Seemed to be a hit!

Needs the extra proof.

Bruce, I shortened your post to highlight Old Dusty's first rule of building a cocktail

This time of year I like a good Manhattan. Unfortunately I do not prefer bourbon, I prefer Canadian Whiskey.

Joe

Bruce, I shortened your post to highlight Old Dusty's first rule of building a cocktail?

Indeed, that is pretty much a given!

Enjoying a couple Cooperstown Cocktail variants in the hammock this evening, using Robert Veremeires recipe as the base,

2.5oz tanqueray

1oz Dolin dry

Dash orange bitters

Couple sprigs mint

Dash absinthe

Gentle squeeze of a lemon

Shaken and strained

Edited by onemorepour

Received a 2L mini barrel and a 1L bottle of Carpano Antica sweet vermouth for Christmas. Planning on using them to make barrel aged Manhattans. Anyone ever tried this?

Received a 2L mini barrel and a 1L bottle of Carpano Antica sweet vermouth for Christmas. Planning on using them to make barrel aged Manhattans. Anyone ever tried this?

Taste often and don't let it go too long. I wouldn't go more than a few weeks before I started trying it. It can get over oaked (at least for me) quite quickly and you want to pull it out too early rather than too late! Perhaps 4-6 weeks is a good maximum aging time (and maybe less) especially if this is the first time you use the barrel.

And be prepared to have a few bottles handy to filter the contents into when you think it is ready!

Thanks for the tip. This will be the first time I am using the barrel. I am thinking about doing the Manhattans first and then doing a Manhattan finished bourbon.

Any tips on what to filter with. I imagine there is going to be some wood/ash particles from the barrel.

Picked up something while out shopping Friday and depending on hot toddys to get me through until tomorrow.

thank you OGD114

and you want to pull it out too early rather than too late!

This is a solid piece of advice in several different contexts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.