What cocktail are you enjoying Fall/Winter 2014

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't usually do cocktails, but had a taste for one last night. I whipped up a Manhattan (not even sure if that's the correct name) 2 overflowing jiggers of EHTSB, 3/4 jigger of sweet vermouth, a couple of dashes of Angostura Bitters, shaken and served sans ice in a chilled martini glass. Very tasty.

I also tend to prefer my Manhattans stirred, not shaken, as Professor Wondrich suggests. After all Manhattan is in 'Murica and we don't need a fictional spy to tell us how to create our own drinks!

(The general rule, although not set in stone, is to stir drinks that have all clear ingredients and shake those that don't, such as when juice is used. But if you like your Manhattan shaken, then shake away!)

With all the bourbon I've collected and poured down my gullet, a fraction of 1% has been in a cocktail. I think I'll explore this new frontier and start by learning the names and ingredients :)

It tastes good no matter what you call it though.

Just back home from a jam-packed 3 day biz trip to Chicago, and gathering my wits with my cocktail of choice so far in this New Year, a Boulevardier. I'm not the biggest sweet vermouth fan, so I have been cutting back proportions accordingly as I experiment, while going heavy on the whiskey. Tonight, it's 2oz Knob Creek Rye, 1 oz Compari, a Smidge over 1/2 oz of M&R Vermouth, and upon a recommendation, I dropped a couple shakes of Fee Bros Aztec Chocolare Bitters in there. Orange peel garnish. Just love this. :yum:

Guessing the "Left Hand" suggestion came from Bruce the SB cocktail wizard? He made me one at Sampler last year and I promplty went out and invested in both Campari and Aztec bitters:drink::drink:

Guessing the "Left Hand" suggestion came from Bruce the SB cocktail wizard? He made me one at Sampler last year and I promplty went out and invested in both Campari and Aztec bitters:drink::drink:

Ha! I'm on a quest accumulating things that one day might stump Bruce... :lol: I doubt I'll get there, though... :D

Ha! I'm on a quest accumulating things that one day might stump Bruce... :lol: I doubt I'll get there, though... :D

Every now and again it still happens!

I'm not the biggest sweet vermouth fan...........a Smidge over 1/2 oz of M&R Vermouth

Joe, nothing wrong w M&R. In fact Mr. Martini had a swingin' little bar in Bedford Falls right down from the Emporium. But I digress. You might want to up your vermouth game a hair and you could change your mind. Try Cocchi di Torino or Carpano Antica. They are both good enough to drink on the rocks w a twist after dinner, but really amp up your cocktails. Just my opinion, but I'm guessing Bruce would concur.

Joe, nothing wrong w M&R. In fact Mr. Martini had a swingin' little bar in Bedford Falls right down from the Emporium. But I digress. You might want to up your vermouth game a hair and you could change your mind. Try Cocchi di Torino or Carpano Antica. They are both good enough to drink on the rocks w a twist after dinner, but really amp up your cocktails. Just my opinion, but I'm guessing Bruce would concur.

Indeed I would! I don't even need rocks or a twist. I drink it like a glass of (higher proof) wine! Those two are both excellent vermouth's and if you want something a touch more dry and bitter to balance out a sweeter cocktail try Punt e Mes, originally made by the same people who make Carpano Antica until the brand was sold a few years ago.

Bruce, do you notice much difference or favor bitters w alcohol v those like Fee Bros without? I have both and really don't notice much difference.

Bruce, do you notice much difference or favor bitters w alcohol v those like Fee Bros without? I have both and really don't notice much difference.

Thanks, E. I've had a few different vermouths around the crib, with my favorite being Vya, so far. I think part of my problem with them has been that since I don't make many cocktails at home, the vermouth will sit in my fridge for many months...year(s). Maybe they're just losing their zip. But, I must add that I'm not really keen on the taste of VM I general, so I back down on its portion when following a recipe. I recently went with the M&R recently because it came in a smaller bottle, and also because it was old man Gower's fave back in the day... :D I have heard many of you cocktail Kings, and God (Bruce) :lol: talk about the Cocchi and Carpano. I will have to secure those next. Thanks for the tips!

:toast:

Thanks, E. I've had a few different vermouths around the crib, with my favorite being Vya, so far. I think part of my problem with them has been that since I don't make many cocktails at home, the vermouth will sit in my fridge for many months...year(s). Maybe they're just losing their zip. But, I must add that I'm not really keen on the taste of VM I general, so I back down on its portion when following a recipe. I recently went with the M&R recently because it came in a smaller bottle, and also because it was old man Gower's fave back in the day... :D I have heard many of you cocktail Kings, and God (Bruce) :lol: talk about the Cocchi and Carpano. I will have to secure those next. Thanks for the tips!

:toast:

The Cocchi is my favorite, but lately I've been buying Dolin because I can find it in 375s. I'll have to see if I can find a store that stocks Cocchi in the 375. A full bottle of vermouth is just too much for me to consume before it goes bad.

The Cocchi is my favorite, but lately I've been buying Dolin because I can find it in 375s. I'll have to see if I can find a store that stocks Cocchi in the 375. A full bottle of vermouth is just too much for me to consume before it goes bad.

Party Source carries both Cocchi and Carpano in the 375 if you get down that way again in the near future although the Carpano 375 is listed as out of stock at the moment. Might have t omake a note to bring a few different vermouths to the sampler. Presuming people are interested in a cookout bar again this year. Presuming there is a cookout?

Just back home from a jam-packed 3 day biz trip to Chicago, and gathering my wits with my cocktail of choice so far in this New Year, a Boulevardier. I'm not the biggest sweet vermouth fan, so I have been cutting back proportions accordingly as I experiment, while going heavy on the whiskey. Tonight, it's 2oz Knob Creek Rye, 1 oz Compari, a Smidge over 1/2 oz of M&R Vermouth, and upon a recommendation, I dropped a couple shakes of Fee Bros Aztec Chocolare Bitters in there. Orange peel garnish. Just love this. :yum:

I tried one of these after reading your post, only with Baby Saz and Carpano Antica. The chocolate bitters were a nice touch.

Yesterday, I got a box from Bittermilk. I like their No.1 Old Fashioned mixer when I'm feeling lazy (which is often), so i ordered a couple more bottles.

I also ordered the No.3 Smoked Honey Whiskey Sour, and the No.4 New Orleans Style Old Fashioned Rouge.

I started with the No.3 and some MMCS. They recommend you mix this one 1:1, but it came out very sticky-sweet and the whiskey was overpowered by the mixer completely.

Maybe trying this one 2 parts whiskey to 1 part mixer might help.

Moved on to the No.2, which they claim was inspired by the Sazerac cocktail (one of my favorites), contains wormwood, fennel, and gentian root, and was aged in Willett Rye barrels.

I mixed this 4 parts Baby Saz to 1 part No.4... Now this is more like it! Very nice cocktail that was much easier than making your own Sazerac. Wish I'd ordered two of this one (and maybe skipped the No.3).

Of the three Bittermilk formulas I've tried, the No.4 is far and away my favorite.

Sadly, the only one I've ever found locally, is the No.5, Grapefruit tonic, which I have little interest in.

Yesterday, I got a box from Bittermilk. I like their No.1 Old Fashioned mixer when I'm feeling lazy (which is often), so i ordered a couple more bottles.

I also ordered the No.3 Smoked Honey Whiskey Sour, and the No.4 New Orleans Style Old Fashioned Rouge. Wish I'd ordered two of this one (and maybe skipped the No.3).

Of the three Bittermilk formulas I've tried, the No.4 is far and away my favorite.

Sadly, the only one I've ever found locally, is the No.5, Grapefruit tonic, which I have little interest in.

This one of the reasons I love this forum. I do very little mixing of cocktails because I only have access to Fee's in three flavors.

Catching up on the last several posts in this thread and I read "Bittermilk", what is that?

Google it and up pops their site with a message available at Amazon (side story I have two Amazon fulfillment centers within 30 miles of my house and a lot of my orders are 1 or 2 day delivery) so I go to Amazon and wow they have all the bitters that y'all constanlty talk about.

Now I have loaded a lot of them to my wish list and need to weed some out before placing an order.

It's like Christmas in late January.

This one of the reasons I love this forum. I do very little mixing of cocktails because I only have access to Fee's in three flavors.

Catching up on the last several posts in this thread and I read "Bittermilk", what is that?

Google it and up pops their site with a message available at Amazon (side story I have two Amazon fulfillment centers within 30 miles of my house and a lot of my orders are 1 or 2 day delivery) so I go to Amazon and wow they have all the bitters that y'all constanlty talk about.

Now I have loaded a lot of them to my wish list and need to weed some out before placing an order.

It's like Christmas in late January.

Tried something different today. I have a tangerine tree that produces a lot of fruit albeit small and seedy. I picked several today and juiced them. I thought they would make a passable sour mix. It turned out to be more than passable! I mixed 1part of the tangerine juice to 3 parts of BT. Tastes pretty darn good! Not too sweet and just the right amount of tang.

Tried something different today. I have a tangerine tree that produces a lot of fruit albeit small and seedy. I picked several today and juiced them. I thought they would make a passable sour mix. It turned out to be more than passable! I mixed 1part of the tangerine juice to 3 parts of BT. Tastes pretty darn good! Not too sweet and just the right amount of tang.

You can never have too much "tang".

• 2 weeks later...

Worked out in the yard today under glorious blue skies, but chilly upper 30's temps. No matter, as it was very nice. Then the clouds rolled in, and it just began to just look colder...:rolleyes: So, packed up, moved inside, and whipped up another Boulevardier...Stunningly delicious cocktail. :yum:

Made my first high proof Sazerac using Party Source 8 year SAOS rye at 121.6 proof.

The next time I make one it'll be with my new bottle of 136 proof Pernod absinthe, either with the SAOS or regular baby Saz....maybe one of each

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.