What cocktail are you enjoying Fall/Winter 2014

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a couple of Old-Fashioned's last night, made with Bittermilk #1.

One with Hudson maple cask rye (6/1 ratio, as opposed to Bittermilk's suggested 4/1, so it wouldn't be too sweet).

The second with Baby Saz (5/1).

Have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the Hudson Maple cask. Quite a tasty cocktail!

Bought my first bottle of gin in over 15 years. Tried Tanqueray neat...it was pretty good. The attempted a martini. Used about a teaspoon of dry vermouth to 1oz gin...was too much vermouth. Added another oz of gin and it was perfect.

Had to make room for more snow coming ... love shoveling this stuff more than once. Defrosted with a Hot Toddy:

- Mug of fresh-brewed tea (rougly 2/3 lapsang souchong 1/3 Irish breakfast)

- 1 tsp. orange blossom honey

- 1.5 oz Redbreast CS

- small squeeze of lemon

This really hit the spot! Oddly reminded me of warm Scotch ...

Made a Sazerac this evening with some Corsair Red Absinthe I picked up and Rittenhouse rye. It turned out very tasty. The hint of Hibiscus in the Absinthe rinse played well off the rye.

Think I'll go a little further on the next one and try the Hudson Maple Cask Rye.

Sazerac #2, with Hudson Maple Cask Rye.

Think I like this one even better (although it could just be because it's the second one in an hour). The Maple finish is evident, but there's something so in-your-face "hey, this is Rye" about the HMCF that it plays nicely with the sweeter/smoother than normal Corsair Red Absinthe. Won't have many of these,due to the small size of the Hudson bottle, but I quite enjoyed this one.

Have been attempting to put together the perfect dry martini. Have tried 4 different gins; Tanqueray, The Botanist 22, Beefeater 24, and Brokers. In a traditional dry martini, Brokers worked the best with 1/4 tsp dry vermouth: 1.5oz gin with a single olive. Tanqueray had more juniper notes and a bit overpowering. The Botanist 22 and Beefeater 24 were great to sip neat. In a martini, I found it was best to have no vermouth (Winston Churchill), and garnish with lemon or lime to compliment the citrus notes.

In honor of what can only be called 'The Great Texas White-Out of 2015, I give you the 'SNOW-LD Fashioned" made with EC12, Demarara simple syrup, Sorghum bitters, and Texas snow...post-10866-14489822077165_thumb.jpg

Strictly for the sake of science I did an Old Fashioned side by side. My standard recipe with EWBIB, simple syrup, and Angostura aromatic and orange bitters vs. the same but with some homemade aromatic bitters. Both were excellent. The homemade bitters had just a tad more baking spice flavor/aroma. I am happy with the batch.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what I have made, but it's very good. If it was cocktail strength, it would probably be a daquiri, but it isn't, so I estimate that it's a rum Collins. Anyway:

1 tsp sugar, dissolved in about 1 oz water

3 slices of fresh lemon, squeezed

1 slice of fresh lemon, not squeezed, for garnish

2 oz Appleton Estate Jamaica rum

Filled with ice cubes

Perfect on the warmest afternoon we've had, lately.

Tim

My girlfriend and I have been suffering a nasty head/chest cold for the last week or so. Perhaps the only good thing about it is that it's the perfect opportunity to work your way through a series of hot toddy recipes. After two a night for the last 5 days or so we have come to an agreement that toddies can be either Rum or Bourbon based. Our favorite Rum toddy is made with Lemon Hart 151 and our favorite Bourbon based is made with WTKS.

2 oz Bourbon or Rum

4 oz hot water

1 table spoon honey

1 tea spoon fresh lemon juice

Mix and stir then heat the entire cocktail (don't boil)

serve with a thin lemon slice floating on top.

So far the Lemon Hart 151 is the overall winner, but keep in mind with a bad cold your taste buds are mostly MIA so a very spirity potion is preferable. Plus the 151 proof is conducive to a goods night sleep.

My girlfriend and I have been suffering a nasty head/chest cold for the last week or so. Perhaps the only good thing about it is that it's the perfect opportunity to work your way through a series of hot toddy recipes. After two a night for the last 5 days or so we have come to an agreement that toddies can be either Rum or Bourbon based. Our favorite Rum toddy is made with Lemon Hart 151 and our favorite Bourbon based is made with WTKS.

2 oz Bourbon or Rum

4 oz hot water

1 table spoon honey

1 tea spoon fresh lemon juice

Mix and stir then heat the entire cocktail (don't boil)

serve with a thin lemon slice floating on top.

So far the Lemon Hart 151 is the overall winner, but keep in mind with a bad cold your taste buds are mostly MIA so a very spirity potion is preferable. Plus the 151 proof is conducive to a goods night sleep.

Early Jan I did the same thing wilt OGD114 and it worked quite well.

This weekend I finally tried my Bittermilk #1, #3, and #4 with RITTBIB and I was very pleased. They make unique cocktails which are quite tasty.

• 2 weeks later...

Autuminal weather here in Melbourne, man thats a fun word, so an autuminal feeling cockatil was in order, My goal was to create a transitional feeling; a little hint of summer with a foreshadowing of the winter soon to be, but also with a little something special inbetween, below is what resulted, which seemed to please the Mrs greatly, she even asked for a second which is somehwat rare, unless ofcourse im pouring cabernet.

2oz cream sherry, locally made

1.5oz talisker 10

1/2 a lemons juice

Dash of green Chartreuse

Dash of Benedictine

Dash of chocolate bitters

Shaken in ice, strained & served in a coupe with a swirl of lemon peel as garnish.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.