Stranahans is back in Georgia

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Should anyone be interested. Just saw it on the shelf yesterday. Presumably going back into other states as well.

post-8493-14489821658997_thumb.jpg

In SC also. I noticed the label is different but assume the whiskey is the same.

The label is different (I think it changed a bit almost immediately after the change of ownership) as is the little metal cup but in my opinion so is the whiskey. I have a bottle of the presale whiskey as well as a newer one and had a chance to try a couple of other even earlier bottles. I think they went from a 4 barley mashbill blend to a 3 barley mashbill (although i can't confirm that) and they now make their own distillers beer where it used to be made by a local brewer. It is a bit subtle but to me the difference is evident when tried side by side in a blind taste test. I seem to prefer the "original formula".

The label is different (I think it changed a bit almost immediately after the change of ownership) as is the little metal cup but in my opinion so is the whiskey. I have a bottle of the presale whiskey as well as a newer one and had a chance to try a couple of other even earlier bottles. I think they went from a 4 barley mashbill blend to a 3 barley mashbill (although i can't confirm that) and they now make their own distillers beer where it used to be made by a local brewer. It is a bit subtle but to me the difference is evident when tried side by side in a blind taste test. I seem to prefer the "original formula".

I'm glad I have several bottles of the old stuff. A local liquor store ordered it for a customer several years ago and he died so it sat on the shelf. I picked them up a about $40 a pop.

I'm glad I have several bottles of the old stuff. A local liquor store ordered it for a customer several years ago and he died so it sat on the shelf. I picked them up a about $40 a pop.

If you decide to pick up a new one and have any of the older stuff for comparison I would be curious to know what you think. A blind test is the best of course. Running about $55 here of the new ones I have seen so $40 was a good price!

I wish they could/would put some of this back to get some age on it. The times I've tried I enjoyed it quite a bit for what it was, but felt some more time to develop would do it well.

I wish they could/would put some of this back to get some age on it. The times I've tried I enjoyed it quite a bit for what it was, but felt some more time to develop would do it well.

Not likely to see that happen anytime soon except perhaps for a few limited release bottles. With the re-expansion into other states they are likely pumping it out as fast as they can!

It's funny that Proximo re-released Stranahans at about the same time they release Tincup, a sourced whiskey by Graber.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a bottle of this in Northern Kentucky yesterday. Glad to see this is becoming more widely distributed again! Maybe someday we'll see it again in Ohio...

• 10 months later...

I have to agree. I really enjoyed the "original formula". I purchased a bottle and really can't drink it. It tastes of dark fruit (prunes). I know various whiskey can have a dark fruit component, but this was way too much. I originally thought it may be my bottle. They had a whiskey tasting at a local. I asked the gentleman for a taste. Exactly the same. I'll pass from now on. Plus I won't try there special releases either.

• 4 months later...

Couldn't find a newer thread about Stranahan's and couldn't recall the recent (late last year?) thread discussing it so . . .

At WhiskyFest Washington DC last night, Rob Dietrich (Stranahan's MD) was pouring.  I only had the Diamond Peak (a blend of their 4yr and 7yr I think he said but all the own make I know he said).  In addition to being rich in flavors (nothing easy to pick out but quite a nice bunch of them), its finish lasted and lasted.

• 1 year later...

I picked up a bottle of this on clearance and after adjusting to my first glass I find it immensely enjoyable.  Very easy-drinking for 94 proof and at such a young age, yet still full-flavoured and interesting.  Distinctly floral, with some sour fruity notes, fresh lumber, and woodsmoke.  I've had a handful of malt whiskies at this age and Stranahan's is the best of them.  Long and pleasant finish.  It's almost like a cross between an aged brandy and a young bourbon.  Great stuff!  

• 5 months later...
18 hours ago, Jackinbox said:

I'm still trying to find out what the appeal is about a $50, 2 year-old malt whiskey?

Early on, the novelty I suppose. It was one of the first attempts at an American malt and an early "craft" distillery with relatively widespread distribution.

And I think the early bottles were better than current releases. Still too expensive back then to me for what you were getting but at least it was interesting.

These days, my experience with the current whisky leaves me with minimal interest.

11 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Early on, the novelty I suppose. It was one of the first attempts at an American malt and an early "craft" distillery with relatively widespread distribution.

And I think the early bottles were better than current releases. Still too expensive back then to me for what you were getting but at least it was interesting.

These days, my experience with the current whisky leaves me with minimal interest.

You make a good point about the novelty.  I think part of the problem for me was that I went to a lot of trouble to obtain a bottle a few years ago when it was only being sold in Colorado.  Once I finally got one, I was pretty disappointed in it.   Part of it was my fault because I never even thought to find out the age on the stuff.   Once I found out it was 2 years old, that explained my disappointment.  

11 hours ago, Jackinbox said:

I think part of the problem for me was that I went to a lot of trouble to obtain a bottle a few years ago when it was only being sold in Colorado.  Once I finally got one, I was pretty disappointed in it.

Similar story here, except that I had a chance to try the Colorado-only bottle at a friend's, and it was outstanding, which started my search to obtain one myself. The one I got next year didn't impress.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.