JD Holiday Select SB 2014

VAGentleman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The new JD Holiday Select is now out and for the first time they are single barrels. They come in at 96 proof which is higher than the regular SB and at the same price so that’s a definite plus. The bottles have individual numbers but not barrel numbers.

The bottle I got was pretty good, comparable to the regular single barrel if not a little bit better. This one is bright, if that makes any sense. Theres a creamy mouth feel that has some good nuttiness to the taste. It fades to some good maple flavor before ending with some nice charcoal at the end. A pretty long finish on this one also. Being the same price as the regular SB and 2 proof points higher make this a no brainer if you like the regular stuff. I’m quite enjoying my bottle and will have to get a couple more

Thanks for this. I stopped drinking JD years ago (mid-1980s?) when the proof on the Black dropped to 80 and never got into the SB. I will try this.

• 2 weeks later...

I grabbed a bottle for curiosities sake. The flavor profile above was right on Bright with Cinnamon, fading into a maple type of flavor. When I first sipped this I thought it was going to be a real winner. The initial flavors were bright and punchy but, that's where, IMHO, the goodness ends. I found it to be very thin and that the flavors dissipate rather quickly. This may have been a result of me drinking some really good complex bourbons as of late. This TN whiskey could have been a stunner but, for me, was found a little lacking. I would rate an 88/100 or something along those lines.

It was pretty Good but, for $60 I would grab a 4R single barrel and an EWSB over this all day.

I grabbed one of these, since I prefer the SB to any other JD expression.

Haven't opened it yet, but my 2013 is getting close to empty, so need to open this one up and compare the two.

• 1 month later...

I got a bottle of this for my dad for Christmas (GJ is his everyday pour), and we tried it immediately. I was so pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it that I went out and got myself a bottle the next day. I haven't opened that yet, instead refocusing my efforts on the JDSB that has sat idly on my bar for months. I must say it's really hitting the spot lately. Like many here I imagine, I abused Jack & Coke as a young'n, eventually "graduated" to GJ and ultimately JDSB but it never was a regular in my rotation. I think the SB, and especially this holiday SB, has earned a spot on my bar though.

I have some 2012 bottles that are very good.

I think my local has a few of these on he shelf. You think I should go for one? As I recall it's 100 proof

I think my local has a few of these on he shelf. You think I should go for one? As I recall it's 100 proof

• 2 weeks later...
100.4 and mid $40.

I have revisited this a few times since my initial posting. It has definitely benefited from some air time. It is more balanced now and less forward. The flavors seem to mingle a bit longer and it is an excellent Whiskey in its own right.

I bought mine for $59.99, at $40 I would buy a few. :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.