Pappy Van Winkle video

bourbonv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here is a link to a news story that aired last night on WHAS 11 about recently found video of Pappy Van Winkle. I had a small part in this story, mostly helping Doug Proffitt connect with Sally and Julian. It is a great story. http://www.whas11.com/story/news/local/2014/11/20/pappy-van-winkle-bourbon-shively/70014744/

Mike Veach

Wow! That was just charming, Mike.

So many of these 'Bourbonians of old' have such interesting and enlightening stories. ...Not to mention the "history" (or what passes for it at the distillery gift shops and in their marketing). That stuff is fun, too... even if we know most of it is made up.

It's really nice to see the old pix and especially the old films of someone real, and as legendary as "Pappy" Van Winkle.

Thanx so much for posting this.

I wish stories like this one were a regular occurrence; maybe they are and I am not privy to them...

I also fear that the art of telling a story is becoming a lost one as generations move to short, sound bite communication means from the hour long stories my grandfather used to tell me.

Thanks for posting, Mike!

Very cool, Mike--thanks for being involved in getting things like this out. As a bourbon drinker who minored in history, I loved 99% of the story. As a Native Ohioan, however...

"No good bourbon whiskey was ever made north of the Ohio."

: (

If you want to read more on this buy the book " But Always Fine Bourbon" by Sally Van Winkle. They showed it in one of the videos. You can order it through BT gift shop for sure maybe Amazon.

Edited by p_elliott

I am happy to post this. My part in the story was minor and I had more to do with hooking Doug up with Sally, who put some pressure on Julian to find the video. The story, rightly so, is Doug's and the Van Winkle's story.

Mike Veach

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.