Rye Sour

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

When I was looking for a rye-based cocktail last weekend I came upon this concotion. It just the same as a basic whiskey sour, but you'd be surprised at how good it is with rye (I used Jim Beam because it's the cheapest and most untamed, IMHO, in my collection).

Also WRT using lime in a mint julep isn't that what they call a "maheetah" down south? Lew, go to a watering hole and order a mojito, then pocket the muddler. For those not familiar with this, it's a little stubby baseball bat looking thing. I got one from a sidewalk cafe in Paris and it does a great job on releasing the oils when making the MJ.

Here's the recipe I followed for the Rye Sour:

1oz. lemon juice

1/4 - 3/4 oz. sugar syrup or 1 barspoon sugar(I like the low end of the scale)

1 1/2 oz. rye whiskey

stemmed cherry

Shake well over ice cubes in a shaker

strain into a sour glass and add cherry

(sour glass = wine flute)

taken from the amusingly named "American Bar" by C. Shumann

ISBN 1-55859-853-7

I'll try that rye sour this afternoon, Bushido, I've got three fresh lemons that said "use me" when I opened the fridge this morning.

As for the mojito, well, yeah, they use lime juice and mint, but they also use rum! Lime and rum, lime and bourbon... Hmm, I guess I'm putting lemon juice in my rye, what's the diff? Errrrrgggg, I still don't wanna put lime juice in my juleps!

As for the muddler, I like the bent iced tea spoon, it's nice and long for my tall julep glasses. I use my muddler for old-fashioneds, even though my 'muddler' is actually the end of an old ceramic mustard spoon that looks funky and has almost exactly the shape of a 'real' muddler. Guess I've got a thing for old spoons. My wife knows to keep away from them.

Lew Bryson

Hirsch Reserve 16 YO: Real Pennsylvania Bourbon

Thank you, Bushido: I am drinking that rye sour right now, and it is an eye-opener. I might have gone a little heavy on the lemon, but it sure is perky. I'm gonna write this one down.

Lew Bryson

Hirsch Reserve 16 YO: Real Pennsylvania Bourbon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.