I wish Suntory would

kaiserhog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

They could start by giving it at least 4 years of aging again. Couldn't hurt...

make Old Overhold a BIB for under $25; would be nice to compare that to Ritt BIB (and probably would be a damn nice pour).

I also kinda wish they would let Cooley open up a bit again with some of the interesting things they were doing with Irish Whiskey before Beam apparently changed the direction but that is a thought for a different thread I suppose.

My wife had an uncle who bunkered and served in his Manhattans on the rocks, we're pretty sure, OO for years after WWII into the 1980s (1987?) when National Distillers sold it to Fortune Brands (Jim Beam). I experimented for years and am pretty sure he used a 100 proof version in his Manhattans along with Dolins vermouth which, then, none of us had heard of. Anyway, I wish Suntory would produce a real OO BIB so I could find out, before I die, if I've guessed right. In the meantime, Ritt BIB is getting the nod. I also agree with T about Cooley's products. I'm now out of JL Sullivan and running short of Michael Collins SM and blended both.

OO, JB Rye, and KC Rye all taste like vodka and peanut shells to me. Come on Suntory, you probably have the original OO recipe. Out of all the major US distillers, Beam is the only one I can say that every version of their rye is bad. This isn't just me hating on Beam. I do like KCSB and OGD BIB, and OGD 114.

My wife had an uncle who bunkered and served in his Manhattans on the rocks, we're pretty sure, OO for years after WWII into the 1980s (1987?) when National Distillers sold it to Fortune Brands (Jim Beam). I experimented for years and am pretty sure he used a 100 proof version in his Manhattans along with Dolins vermouth which, then, none of us had heard of. Anyway, I wish Suntory would produce a real OO BIB so I could find out, before I die, if I've guessed right. In the meantime, Ritt BIB is getting the nod. I also agree with T about Cooley's products. I'm now out of JL Sullivan and running short of Michael Collins SM and blended both.
I agree Harry, original recipe and BIB. This venerable old brand deserves saving.

I wish Suntory would release their own Alberta Distillers 100% rye at 13yrs+ aging (possibly with the co-operation of the warmer climate Beam rackhouses) so that we could get AD aged rye at barrel proof w/o chill filtration at less than the extortionate prices charged by Whistlepig and Lock, Stock, And Barrel.

I am sure that even at $70/bottle they would be making a fortune.

I can remember my Dad saying 40 years ago how could 100 proof OO was and he couldn't get it anymore. Shoot maybe it was 50 yrs ago.

The Old Overholt we had locally in the 70s was 6 year 86 proof and I don't recall ever seeing a 100 proof. Of course we didn't pay much attention to Rye back then. I knew a gentleman whose family owned stock in a Rye distillery in Baltimore and even they didn't drink it, just not fashionable.

Let's just hope it goes back to four years old. At 36 months there is literally no reason to drink it.

I actually like the 3 year old version better. It's more lively and ryeish. I know I'm not the majority on that, but I know what I like. If you want Old Overholt BIB, just buy some Knob Creek Rye!

I actually like the 3 year old version better. It's more lively and ryeish. I know I'm not the majority on that, but I know what I like. If you want Old Overholt BIB, just buy some Knob Creek Rye!
I've heard good things about KC Rye.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.