Tasting glass covers - where would you get 'em?

The Black Tot
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Time spent at sea leads one to the contemplation of the smaller things in life - Or, I'm bored...

I was thinking about glassware for tastings and I've seen in a few pics around the internet where people use little glass covers on top of their glasses of whiskey which are standing by.

It makes a lot of sense to me to keep the smells of the whiskeys from interacting outside the glass, and to isolate the full aroma that comes out of the glass into the room for an objective tasting.

So where do you get such little lids for your glencairns or what not?

I was thinking I'd like something nice to go with nicer crystal glassware.

I considered round eyeglass lens blanks - something convex would make a nice topper and probably make half decent contact with the glass rim. But I have no idea where to buy bulk eyeglass blanks. (Is anyone here an optician?) Are they reasonably priced in bulk?

I'm open to suggestions on what people use. One of the new tasting glasses I've bought has a 3" rim, so I'm looking for stuff up to probably a 3 1/4" diameter. I'm also looking for smaller ones for regular and Canadian glencairns.

VERY nice, Clavius! This is what I'm talking about. I'll have to have Mrs Tot measure the top of the CDN Glencairns to see if the watch glass cover will fit.

Still need a solution for the 3 inch diameter glass, but this is a better start than I was hoping for.

Once I had the "watch glass" keyword from Clavius I found this:

https://www.gogenlab.com/equipment-laboratory/condensers/allihn-condensers/pyrex-plain-watch-glass-beaker-covers

which offers a 3" and a 3.5" model.

It's "lab glass" so probably not very fancy. Still looking for a larger diameter frou frou version.

If you're not holding formal tastings where you need to impress people, Ralfy recommends keeping some of the metal tops of the packaging tubes that some whiskies come in and using those. The CEHT series comes to mind, bourbon-wise.

I have ordered them from Amazon as well. The 50mm fit Glencairns. I have seen sizes all the way up to 150mm or about 6 inches. I would recommend buying a few extra. They seem to get broken or lost way too often.

Where I work, we get a lot of that type of stuff from VWR. They only list up to 3.5" but we have much larger ones in the Stockroom.

Where I work, we get a lot of that type of stuff from VWR. They only list up to 3.5" but we have much larger ones in the Stockroom.

Novaman, what is VWR?

ebay also has them. they come various thicknesses and finish. edges can be smoothed with grinder (ground glass) or fire polished.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do Watch covers/tasting glass covers have to be glass or metal? I had a small tasting for a couple of couples my wife works with and realized I didn't have glass covers.

Had some nice pieces of walnut lumber (do a little woodworking as yet another hobby). Fired up the table saw and router and shortly thereafter had 20 2.5"X2.5" smooth sanded squares.

Seemed to work just fine. Was thinking about using danish oil to preserve but afraid it would leave a scent. Could also use polyurethane, but afraid of the same thing.

GAB, food-quality mineral oil works; just be sure to use very little and rub in well. I've used it on butcher blocks. BTW, the wood squares are a nice idea. "Anybody" can buy covers.

GAB, food-quality mineral oil works; just be sure to use very little and rub in well. I've used it on butcher blocks. BTW, the wood squares are a nice idea. "Anybody" can buy covers.

Thanks Harry.

Here's 6 I used Danish Oil on (from reading, food safe, just takes a while to cure completely). Will try the GAB food quality mineral oil on others. And use up the rest of the walnut already cut to make some that I won't preserve at all.

http://i.imgur.com/nlnirJg.jpg

They also work well as coasters!

LOL at myself. I wasn't clear (I better start drinking; I lose focus if I stop:grin:). GAB = GAbiker to me, not a mineral oil brand. Yeah, the Danish oil is nice, but it does have a long cure time. I only use it on outdoor pieces. Back on thread - did you give them to the guests as a keepsake from the evening?

Edited by Harry in WashDC
typos, of course - it's me typing

LOL at myself. I wasn't clear (I better start drinking; I lose focus if I stop:grin:). GAB = GAbiker to me, not a mineral oil brand. Yeah, the Danish oil is nice, but it does have a long cure time. I only use it on outdoor pieces. Back on thread - did you give them to the guests as a keepsake from the evening?

Harry, I didn't as they still needed a little sanding to be just right. I did send them home with what was left of the bottle of Weller 12 that they liked the best of the 5 whiskeys they tasted.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.