BOTM 12/14: Four Roses Single Barrel

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This one is an enigma to me. First time I tried a 4RSB, I liked it-had it in a blind test against yellow label and small batch, and it won by a landslide. Seemed refined, well rounded (except for a certain lack of bottom end), and dashed with black pepper and cinnamon. Once the bottle had been open a month, I started getting a lot of weirdness, solvents, lack of balance. Now it is simply thin, harsh, and astringent. This has happened with each of the three bottles I have bought.

FWIW, here's my take on things. There's lot's of tastes/flavors going on. To me, it's a little fruity, and a little floral, plus there's some sweetness, and spiciness too. It might seem like a jumbled mess to some folks. Maybe there's too much going on? Sometimes bourbons that have a lot of different "things" going on, are hard for some people to get a handle on. I know that I've thought that myself about a few things in the past. But in the case of FRSB, somehow it works, and in a very good way. The different flavors tend to counterbalance each other very nicely.

Joe

This is an excellent description, and it sums up my experience quite well.

I think the abundance of "things" going on accounts for much of the variation some people see in this one. The bourbon may stay the same day after day, but any variation in my palate will cause me to taste difference aspects more strongly. Certain flavors may fade with exposure to air, but I think most of the variation I see is just the way I am tasting things that day. This is a nice counterbalance to something like Old Forester Signature, which tastes the exact same to me first thing in the morning, or chasing a handful of habaneros.

I'm a bit late to the game, but I want to add my love for this. It's my favorite readily available bourbon ($30-$40 'round these parts). The first time I bought a bottle I was simultaneously amazed and disgusted (pickle notes), but I couldn't stop going back to it. Ended up buying a second bottle immediately after that and killing it even faster. Decided I loved it. Shoe leather, fruit, sometimes pickling spices, graham crackers, and creamy custard. Makes me sound like a stoner raiding a 711.

• 4 weeks later...

FRSB is a huge hit with my wife. I agree that it is a solid bourbon. I love the complexity (kinda why I get into bourbon). Lots of notes, depending on how you drink it. Add a little ice and you get more smoothness, less spice. Drink it neat for the floral and fruit, but be sure to mix it around in your mouth or you will miss some of those notes. Slight hints of caramel, but probably lower on the scale than either WT, or Noah's Mill. If you cannot get the FRSB, then small batch is a good sub. I would recommend not drinking the yellow label neat. Very sweet. Even at the distillery they tell you it is for cooking or mixing.

I bought a FRSB and let me tell you this is going to be a goto bourbon for me. Everytime I even think about this stuff. My mouth just starts to water. This bourbon to me is like a lays potatoe chip. "Betchya can't have just one!" Im still very new in getting the taste into words except. "This is really good!"

I bought a FRSB and let me tell you this is going to be a goto bourbon for me.

How much did you pay for it?

here in Ontario it is currently selling for $46 (a pretty good deal compared to most other American whiskey at the KGBO)

• 3 weeks later...

We have some of this in UT, picked up a couple of bottles a couple of weeks ago, along with the small batch. Next month will get some more.

• 3 weeks later...

I really, really like this stuff... but I simply cannot pay the $40 it normally costs around here. I recently picked up a bottle on sale for ~29 bucks, at that price I'm all over it. It'll probably remain a once or twice a year purchase for me.

Definitely one of my favorites, but at $40 it's sadly a "special occasion only" type of purchase.

• 1 month later...

TW in Phoenix has it (FRSB) for $34, it was around $45 a few months back. The FR small batch is priced at $33. I am not an expert or even a big bourbon fan, but I sure do like the Four Roses expressions. I will be picking up another bottle today. :cool:

this will be my next purchase. a couple stores have private selections with one store having several different barrels.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.