Laird Apple Brandy 100 proof No Longer Bonded?

ramblinman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've only had the 100 proof non-bonded version but I really enjoy it.  It has a lot of clean apple flavor and is very drinkable at 100 proof.  I'd love to try a bottle of it with more age but while it would be different I don't know that it would be better. I'd like a version with some more oak presence but at the same time I really enjoy the juicy apple flavor of this version.

• 3 months later...

A relatively young "dusty" but I went shopping for some Laird's 100 proof for the fall season last night and found a Bottled-in-Bond lurking in the back of the shelf. Looking forward to enjoying that! 

Having pre-treated my Empty Bottle Neurosis, I felt safe having a long pour off the nearly empty bottle from the bunker. Such a tasty drink. The apple, vanilla, light caramel, and just enough cinnamon spice to balance that sweetness; along with sufficient proof to warm the ol' heart cockles as it settles in. I like the BIB better than the "Old" (7.5 year) Laird's.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, MeAndMyWhiskey said:

A relatively young "dusty" but I went shopping for some Laird's 100 proof for the fall season last night and found a Bottled-in-Bond lurking in the back of the shelf. Looking forward to enjoying that! 

Having pre-treated my Empty Bottle Neurosis, I felt safe having a long pour off the nearly empty bottle from the bunker. Such a tasty drink. The apple, vanilla, light caramel, and just enough cinnamon spice to balance that sweetness; along with sufficient proof to warm the ol' heart cockles as it settles in. I like the BIB better than the "Old" (7.5 year) Laird's.

Great find, I'm jealous. By the time I had heard that Laird's removed the Bonded status, all the bonded bottles were gone from liquor stores near me. The current bottling is good but not as good as the bonded was.

Enjoy!

Read that they came out with a 12 yr version of there Apple Brandy now. It is also 100 proof. 

Do t know pricing and I haven't seen it in stores yet.

The 12 has been around for quite a few years, but I don't think it's 100 proof, unless that recently changed.

I was able to pick up 4 bottles of the 100 proof stuff yesterday! I'm stocked now for a few more months!

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:54 AM, BigPapa said:

Read that they came out with a 12 yr version of there Apple Brandy now. It is also 100 proof. 

Do t know pricing and I haven't seen it in stores yet.

The 12yo that has been around for some time is 88 proof (or at least the one I have is).

Just now, tanstaafl2 said:

The 12yo that has been around for some time is 88 proof (or at least the one I have is).

Yep, I just saw it today (on a pretty steep discount at a local).  I passed, but please feel free to chastise me if I erred!  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Yep, I just saw it today (on a pretty steep discount at a local).  I passed, but please feel free to chastise me if I erred!  :lol:

No, probably not. At that age much of the apple character is gone. A pleasant enough brandy is the result but not something I felt compelled to seek out again. Of course if the discount is good enough that might change things! Can't remember what I originally paid for it.

I had a bottle and really didn't care for it at all, my money would have been better spent on a bourbon BIB.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

In defense of Laird's . . .

I keep a couple "pints" of the 100 proof around for those cocktails calling for "apple brandy".  I don't have to worry about under-proof, additives, caramel, etc.

17 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

In defense of Laird's . . .

I keep a couple "pints" of the 100 proof around for those cocktails calling for "apple brandy".  I don't have to worry about under-proof, additives, caramel, etc.

Yes, I am nursing my last Lairds BIB for cocktail use only although it was never really a pour I went to by itself.

• 2 months later...

Finished off my last bottle of the BIB and it was fantastic. I live only about 20 minutes from Lairds and can still find the BIB at stores here and there. I will have to search out all that I can. 

On 11/29/2016 at 6:50 PM, KyleCBreese said:

Finished off my last bottle of the BIB and it was fantastic. I live only about 20 minutes from Lairds and can still find the BIB at stores here and there. I will have to search out all that I can. 

Could be a fun weekend dusty hunting adventure! The BIB is completely gone around here from what I can tell or else I'd do the same. The speed at which it disappeared was incredible.

6 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Could be a fun weekend dusty hunting adventure! The BIB is completely gone around here from what I can tell or else I'd do the same. The speed at which it disappeared was incredible.

I'll see what I can find over the next couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2016 at 0:58 PM, Kpiz said:

I was able to stop at a few stores yesterday and found a store that had 3 bottles for $26 each. Grabbed all three. 

IMG_2526.JPG

They're beautiful! Man, never thought I'd be so jealous over a few Laird BIBs. Maybe I should go on a hunt of my own...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Kpiz said:

They're beautiful! Man, never thought I'd be so jealous over a few Laird BIBs. Maybe I should go on a hunt of my own...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But does it taste good? Or just a good hunt?

Edited by BigPapa

28 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

Not Kyle, but I will say it is worth seeking out. It's tasty neat, but really shines in cocktails. For comparison, Copper and Kings is the new darling of the brandy world. Their "Floodwall" apple brandy is also 100 proof but NAS. Also great in cocktails but not so much neat. 

Edit: and Floodwall is also $45

Edited by Old Dusty

5 hours ago, BigPapa said:

5 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

Not Kyle, but I will say it is worth seeking out. It's tasty neat, but really shines in cocktails. For comparison, Copper and Kings is the new darling of the brandy world. Their "Floodwall" apple brandy is also 100 proof but NAS. Also great in cocktails but not so much neat. 

Edit: and Floodwall is also $45

I completely agree with Eric's assessment. The Laird's BIB is excellent mixed but can also stand alone. It was great for nights when I wanted something a little different, but also something with some kick.

I love it neat or with a little ice. It's a great change of pace from bourbon. I will see if I can find more. 

I found the 7.5 year old Lairds today for $26. I'm going to give that a try for the first time. They also had the 12 year for $52.

5 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

I found the 7.5 year old Lairds today for $26. I'm going to give that a try for the first time. They also had the 12 year for $52.

I would pounce on the 12 at that price. I have never seen it at retail anywhere. Had a bar pour in D.C. A few months ago, it was not life altering but still delicious. And nowhere else will you find an American Brandy of that age (stated). 

IMG_3140.JPG

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:07 PM, Old Dusty said:

I would pounce on the 12 at that price. I have never seen it at retail anywhere. Had a bar pour in D.C. A few months ago, it was not life altering but still delicious. And nowhere else will you find an American Brandy of that age (stated). 

Just be aware that at that point the 12yo has very little, if any, apple character left at least to my palate. Even the 7.5yo doesn't retain much apple character. Especially if you were to try it blind against other brandies and didn't know it was an apple based brandy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.