Chapeze Distillery History

COPPERSTILL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I went and visited with my father last night and told him I had purchased a bottle of the Stagg Bourbon. He thought at one time it was a product of the Chapeze Distillery located near Clermont. He went on to tell me about when Jim Beam bought that property for its warehouses. He (David Beam)and his brother (Baker) were to tear the old distillery down. He reminded of a old flow box or tail box that has been laying around our house for years. I had never paid much attention to the thing, it is old and not very impressive to look at and it has always sat out in the weather. It turns out that this is the flow box from that distillery.It takes on a whole different aura after finding out about its history. I believe some of you would love to find something like that at a flea market. I guess I am kind of blind to some of the memorabelia laying around. I won't take things like that for granted any longer. If anyone has anymore info on the old Chapeze Dist. or can clarify the information Dad presented I would appreciate that.

John Ed

I'm not too sure about the history of the distillery you mentioned, but I know there are other's on here who will. As for there being an old bourbon with the name Stagg, I have seen bottles like that on eBay. The new Stagg's full name really is George T. Stagg. The Old Stagg name as on the bottle shown on ebay was produced by the George T. Stagg distillery (which is now Buffalo Trace as of 1999). The brand Old Stagg was introduced in 1905 one year after the KY River Distillery was renamed the George T Stagg Distillery.

post-87-14489811326591_thumb.jpg

It is entirely possible that Old Stagg was made there. Schenley owned Chapeze and what is now Buffalo Trace. Sam Cecil speaks of them moving production from plant to plant and sometimes losing the original brand identity.

<font color="green"> Good God Give Joe Satriani Some </font>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.