Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Rye

VAGentleman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I probably won't buy it either, because I don't drink much rye and of the stuff that I do, I have plenty already bunkered. I like to know it is on the shelves though. What is currently on the shelves, its the only rye I would buy. Rittenhouse, WT and Baby Saz are non existent on shelves in my area. When they do come, they get bought up immediately. The only other one I am happy on the shelf is Knob, but I think it is a bit different (still great!) than the Woodford. Both the Knob and Woodford are pricey for what they are, but on sale, I could be nudged to think otherwise.

Sucks you can't even pick up Ritt, Baby Saz or WT. They're all available in my area.

But you did just remind me that I also have several of the new release liter bottles of WT 101 Rye bunkered as well, further putting a nail in the coffin of picking up the WR. I just have no need for it whatsoever. And like you, I do gravitate more towards bourbon than rye, even though I have become a big rye fan as well.

Now that the PA state stores have the Woodford Rye on the shelves, I've had the chance to spend some time with a bottle. I find this rye to be about exactly what I'm looking for out of a rye. It's not as bourbon-esque as Rittenhouse and the Beam ryes, but it's not as inky and overtly herbal like the MGP/LDI (Whatever they're called this week) ryes. It strikes that balance for me. It's certainly a rye, and it's not too young or too old. It's not too low in proof or too high. And that copper flavor does not bother me at all. And with the Wild Turkey rye getting young, hot, and thin, this is probably going to be my "better" go-to rye. I'm very pleased with it.

• 2 months later...

I recently received a bottle as a gift from a friend. It is an interesting rye. I do agree that it has a different profile that Rittenhouse. I am not sure what rye I would compare it too. The nose is peppery with hint of fruit, mostly pear and apple. The taste has a strong clove, rye and spice flavor. It is a little sweeter than expected. I like it but probably would not buy a bottle for the price I have seen in this thread. I would place it in the same category as Woodford Reserve Bourbon. Good but overpriced. If the price were closer to $25 then I would consider it a good buy.

• 4 months later...

I found a bottle at my grocery for just over $30, so I picked up a bottle. I don't typically go for 90 proof, but I've found when I've taken a break from whiskey, diving right back into 100 proof can be a bit jarring. 

I have to say I am very impressed with Woodford Reserve rye. My first thought was that it was complex and smokey, no way it was 100% rye - which I later confirmed online -  53% rye. To me, it does have a smokey bourbon flavor for a rye, but not near as sweet. 

I really enjoy it. Wish they made a 100 proof version. 

• 1 month later...

This is finally going to show up in Michigan at $43 a bottle, state minimum.

I feel like I shouldn't, but I know I'm going to buy a bottle.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

This is finally going to show up in Michigan at $43 a bottle, state minimum.

I feel like I shouldn't, but I know I'm going to buy a bottle.

Regular folks really can't appreciate the inner torment we whiskey enthusiasts go through on a daily basis...;)

50 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Regular folks really can't appreciate the inner torment we whiskey enthusiasts go through on a daily basis...;)

I really think we should get more credit for those times when we are able to resist.  You know, like that one Tuesday back in '11.

21 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I really think we should get more credit for those times when we are able to resist.  You know, like that one Tuesday back in '11.

Then again, there's Bruce...  :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.