Need help with Michter's bottlings

t44tq
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can someone point me toward some info on Michter's rye bottlings? I wanted to know if there is a way to date the bottles or determine the origin. I've heard that older bottlings of the 10 yr. rye are very good, but I don't have any idea how to tell the difference between various bottlings.

Michters is not forthcoming about the origin of their products but there are some solid opinions here about the whiskys themselves.

Michters is not forthcoming about the origin of their products but there are some solid opinions here about the whiskys themselves.

One of the reasons I don't buy them.

As far as I can tell this is the format they've used for the barrel number:

yy, letter denoting month, barrel number

So for example 13H216 is 2013, H=August, and 216 is their barrel number

In 2012 they departed from this system and only used numeric values, e.g. 2368.

So if you see a numeric-only barrel number it's probably 2012; otherwise the 2-digit prefix is probably the year it was bottled.

As far as I can tell, everything before the 13-"letter" and 14-"letter" was great and , I suspect, was old bernheim (CoK). No way to be sure on the source, though. The 14 rye is no where near as good. I suspect it to be nice 10 year rye from BF, with no proof to back it up. I would pay $50 for it, not what they are asking.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.