Stagg vs. Stagg

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 % off to me would have been nice.

Bobby, I agree. A small token of their thanks would not have hurt them and would have solidified your relationship as their ambassador. I noticed that you did not name the shop, but I'm surmizing that had you received some thanks, that you might have named the store?

toast.gif

Just being able to promise and then get G.T. Stagg in this state (MA.) is nothing short of a gift of the gods....Then to promise NEXT years Stagg on top of that ....You can understand that it puts me in a very beholding position bowdown.gif....

Bill G.

There's no point to name this outfit. They have a good shop but I will only go there as a last resort now. The whole point was I rattled their chain on both OFBB and Stagg and at first they knew nothing of either, then got up with their suppliers. Besides taking care of my order( Thanks) they got more and promptly sold all of that as well. I realise when you sell a truck load a week that a few cases isn't much.

OK, so which company is it that markets the labels on that "greatbourbon" web page?

I've never seen any of those in my local bottle shops.

frown.gif

"Who markets...?", you ask? I'm not sure. (In fact the whole marketing activity for those products appears muddled, to put it politely.)

The producer is Buffalo Trace Distillery.

I can't imagine why that name is omitted from the website.

I do know that there are separate websites for at least Buffalo Trace Bourbon, Blanton's Single Barrel bourbon , and the Old Rip Van Winkle family of bourbons and rye.

Again, except for the first of the three, I see no reference to "Buffalo Trace Distillery" on those sites. In fact, the ORVW site refers to "Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery", which, as far as I know, does not exist -- at least not as a separate physical entity.

Here in southern California I have seen on the shelves all of those bottlings, with the exception of Buffalo Trace itself, the higher-end Ancient Age bottlings, the higher-end Old Charter, and this year's Antique Collection. The BT website has a "Where to get it?" function that lists locations in KY, TN and IN only. And yet I can order it from Sam's or Binny's in Chicago.

I'm guessing that the distribution of all of the BT bottlings reflects past associations of the various labels more than any rational, comprehensive marketing plan. Perhaps an industry insider can shed additional light on all of this.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield (The Original DaveM)

Thanks Dave.

Those products seem to have a great rep among the bourbonophiles here, and I'm anxious to try some of them, but Ancient Age is the only label that I remember seeing on the shelves.

The property development company I work for rents to several WSLCB stores, so I should talk to a couple managers and find out what it takes to get those products here.

How much do you folks pay for your GT Stagg, in your respective locations? What do you pay for Buffalo Trace?

How much do you folks pay for your GT Stagg, in your respective locations? What do you pay for Buffalo Trace?

Buffalo Trace is not readily available here in NY, but there are a few stores in Manhattan that have it. I can get it for about $20-22+tax out here... George T. Stagg I was able to get for $46 plus tax this time around. The last time (2002) I got it for $42-43 with the tax...

Stagg is officially unavailable in Virginia. The ABC Special Order Catalog lists it at $43.65, but I got a call today from my local store manager and she said "the distributor that offered it to the State of Virginia has reneged."

Alas, I will remain a Stagg virgin. *SIGH*

I buy my Buffalo Trace in Maryland, where it's $12.99/750ml.

BT is not available in Missouri either, but luckily I can drive about 25 minutes to Illinois side of St Louis Metro area and pick up a bottle at Randall's (www.internetwines.com) also listed in the Van Winkle where to get listing. But I have found them to be much higher than Binny's or Sam's. Just more convenient for me. One other thing about this store, the pricings on the internet and those on the shelves can be much different. I picked up Pappy Van Winkle 20yr for about 80 bucks and they price it at just over 100 on the net. In other cases I have found the price to be lower on the shelves. I have heard that if the web price is lower they will honor it. So, if any of you are going to shop there, take a printout of their website pricing with you.

Dane

I bought the new Stagg for $41.99 (plus sales tax, which is 9.25% here) last month here in Tennessee, but only about 1 in 4 stores has received an allocation, and most of it has likely disappeared by now. Buffalo Trace is, however, widely available for anywhere from $22-$26, depending on size/location/clientele of store.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.