Jim Beam 90 proof green label rye.

ethangsmith
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been to several Montgomery County stores and the yellow label appears to be gone, and replaced with this fine gem. And since they never raised the price, this is one hell of a value!

I've been to several Montgomery County stores and the yellow label appears to be gone, and replaced with this fine gem. And since they never raised the price, this is one hell of a value!

Thanks for this. I had penciled in a trip in early March to see if, as they told me it would, the JB BIB had arrived. I may go early just in case.

Thanks for this. I had penciled in a trip in early March to see if, as they told me it would, the JB BIB had arrived. I may go early just in case.

Good idea. I do think this is a great deal at ~$12, but I do wonder if the county realizes that this is a different product.

Interesting that they'd up the proof of what's always been a bottom shelf almost afterthought of a product for them (at least compared to their bourbons). Probably a case of them wanting to separate the JB rye from OO which is truly bargain basement.

Actually, between that and the newer Jim Beam-labelled products like the single barrel, Master's Collection, etc, they seem to want to raise the quality profile of the Jim Beam name/brand, instead of resorting to alternate names like Knob Creek for more premium offerings. Not that Knob Creek & Co haven't become respected names, but still, making the flagship brand mean more than bottom shelf makes sense.

The other thing I find interesting is the change of label color. Not that they'd would choose to change it, as that helps set the tone for re-launch, but the choice of color. Besides already having a green-labelled bourbon, Jim Beam seems to have jumped on the "green label=rye" bandwagon. Think about it. WT Rye, Bulliet, Dickel, even the new Woodford Rye, all green labels or green text. When did green become the color associated with rye?

The other thing I find interesting is the change of label color. Not that they'd would choose to change it, as that helps set the tone for re-launch, but the choice of color. Besides already having a green-labelled bourbon, Jim Beam seems to have jumped on the "green label=rye" bandwagon. Think about it. WT Rye, Bulliet, Dickel, even the new Woodford Rye, all green labels or green text. When did green become the color associated with rye?

seems logical to me. If i had to pick a color for 'rye', it'd be green, a I think minty-pine when i think of rye whiskey

FWIW, the Beam yellow label rye is discontinued.

Wow! The old yellow label and the current Old Overholt were very close (although I did slightly prefer the mellower yellow label), but this new green label blows both of those away. In this day of increasing NAS, cutting proofs, etc., how refreshing is it to see a firm RAISING the proof? I've gotta tip my hat to the Beam folks!

In this day of increasing NAS, cutting proofs, etc., how refreshing is it to see a firm RAISING the proof? I've gotta tip my hat to the Beam folks!

That really is a terrific observation Bones, and one that should be repeated as often as possible. We can fill 10 pages in half a day with Chicken Little "The sky is falling!" posts when the slightest thing goes against "us" in the Bourbon World. And I'll admit that sometimes it seems more is going against us, than for us. But, it is equally important to give amble credit when the good things happen.

:toast:

The 90 proof Beam rye not only has some of the statistics many of us are looking for, it is a fine tasting product. My wife loves my Sazerac cocktails. I don't like to make it with Overholt and the Dickel and Bulleit at 95% rye aren't quite right either. Sazerac rye is just right but it can be hard to get in the Hinterland that is Northern MN. I grab a Rittenhouse once in awhile and it is great. Now the 90 proof Beam shows up at my local. I give it a try and........ I just bought my third liter and have cracked the 2nd. It has been wonderful in Old Fashioneds, Sazeracs, and Manhattens. It is also not too shabby in a Glencairn on its own for a nightcap. To make it ideal for my cheap wallet I would love to see it around $19 but it is running around $23 right now. Maybe it will gain traction and get competitive in the area.

In the 60's Beam rye was 90 proof and green label (IIRC), so they are simply bringing it back a la Beam Bonded.

Gary

I should qualify my post since I am not sure 100% Jim Beam Rye was issued in green before, I may be thinking of Beam's Choice (bourbon).

But it was definitely once issue in more than 80 proof, 86 certainly and I'd think 90 at one point. I am trying to confirm in those foreign "mini" sites (the ones from CZ and Japan that I recall from some years ago) but can't locate them at the moment.

Gary

Gary I remember the Green Label as 90 proof and 8 years age stated back when it actually was their "Choice".

Gary I remember the Green Label as 90 proof and 8 years age stated back when it actually was their "Choice".

Yes, thanks and that was the bourbon I believe.

Got some today as "desk whiskey." May get some for the home as well for cocktails. Definitely has the beam yeast and a little more corn than a rye needs, but I found it really enjoyable at the end of a long day. Much better than yellow label. To me it tastes like an actually good OO.

With rye continuing to grow in popularity it was a good move for Beam. Beam Rye and Overholt were too close together in terms of price and there was too much of a gap between them and Knob Creek Rye. This spaces them out better.

With rye continuing to grow in popularity it was a good move for Beam. Beam Rye and Overholt were too close together in terms of price and there was too much of a gap between them and Knob Creek Rye. This spaces them out better.[/quote

I agree 100% Chuck, and the fact that the product is so darned tasty at an affordable price, I think Beam has knocked this one out of the park!

• 2 months later...

Purchased this several days ago, and it's been a decent pour. Tonight, sipping it after dinner and I am getting a wonderful fresh cut grass note. More herbal than "spicy", and has that freshness like sheets dried outside on a clothesline nose to it. Nice whiskey.

Tried this tonight and really don't care for it. I really wanted to like it. Still has the beam funk that I especially notice in their younger offerings. There are too many better ryes in the price range.

I put it in a bell jar with toasted oak spiral to see if it improves.

I put it in a bell jar with toasted oak spiral to see if it improves.

So far 4 days with spiral does improve taste. Seems to "mask" Beam funk taste somewhat. I'm going to leave it in a few more days.

Final conclusion....the spiral helped some but not enough. Don't really care for JB green.

This was all over Kentucky during Sampler but I didn't pick any up, assuming it would be in Michigan soon. No such luck so far, although it is on the list now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.