Jim Beam 90 proof green label rye.

ethangsmith
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On Facebook, Jim Beam just announced a 90 proof green label rye. Glad to see a mid-proof offering from them. Can't wait to have a taste!

I mixed some Old Overholt and Knob Creek Rye 50/50 to see what it may come out like. I was pleased with my mixing results.

I mixed some Old Overholt and Knob Creek Rye 50/50 to see what it may come out like. I was pleased with my mixing results.

Now, there's a thing to try. And I just happened to have an OO sitting in the back of the cabinet and a brand new KC rye I bought on sale awhile back.

I think you could venture to say they would be nearly identical. I think the idea here is that the yellow label and the Old Overholt will be the inexpensive 80 proofers, the new Jim Beam green label rye will be the mid-proof, mid-price offering, and the Knob Creek rye would serve as the higher proof, more expensive offering.

• 4 weeks later...

Just completed a Beam rye 3-way. This included the KC Rye, Ri1, and the green label. While there are obvious similarities among these, there were some differences. To my palate Ri1 tastes like watered down KC rye, whereas the new green label tastes like the yellow label with much more heft and body. I like all 3 of these, and I think the new green label is a winner. It clearly tastes the youngest of the 3, but in a very good way...having said that, I really dig young ryes..so if you don't like younger ryes, this may not be for you. I always thought the Beam yellow label was decent, and this seems to be a very nice step up. As one of the biggest fans of Pikesville rye, I'd love to see HH do this for that one as well.

It is rumored that Pikesville is going to 110 proof and 6 years old and will be sold as a rarer, higher shelf rye than the Rittenhouse. Saw that on a different thread on here.

It is rumored that Pikesville is going to 110 proof and 6 years old and will be sold as a rarer, higher shelf rye than the Rittenhouse. Saw that on a different thread on here.

OMG I will be all over this. Only concern is that at 6 years old, it may lose some of that youthful zest that makes pikesville great. I'll definitely try it though.

Back to the original thread, I do have some questions about this new green label Beam "Pre-Prohibition" style rye:

- What makes it pre-prohibition style?

- Was a new yeast used? Based on my sampling, this appears to be no, as this seems like a heftier yellow label.

- Is the yellow label going away? This green label appeared to be identically priced to the yellow label, making it a great value. Then again, the Overholt brand was nearly the same juice as the Yellow.

If Beam is replacing the yellow label with this, it is a great change. This is without question the most easily sippable rye I've tried north of 80 proof.

Back to the original thread, I do have some questions about this new green label Beam "Pre-Prohibition" style rye:

- What makes it pre-prohibition style?

- Was a new yeast used? Based on my sampling, this appears to be no, as this seems like a heftier yellow label.

- Is the yellow label going away? This green label appeared to be identically priced to the yellow label, making it a great value. Then again, the Overholt brand was nearly the same juice as the Yellow.

If Beam is replacing the yellow label with this, it is a great change. This is without question the most easily sippable rye I've tried north of 80 proof.

If they replace yellow label 1.75s with this at the same price, I am definitely in.

According to a press release that was thrown in with one for the JB BIB, they claim to be using a different recipe for the green label. From your review, that doesn't seem to be quite accurate.

According to a press release that was thrown in with one for the JB BIB, they claim to be using a different recipe for the green label. From your review, that doesn't seem to be quite accurate.

Of course it's a different recipe. This one has a smaller amount of water.

Got my bottle of green label today. Quite tasty. It's a nice rye that sits between all the 80 proof stuff and all the 100+ stuff on the market. I would agree with previously posted comments that it is an amped up version of yellow label. Not as old or as high proof as the Knob Creek Rye, but not as low proof and thin as the yellow label. It strikes a nice balance and the price is right too. It's already found a permanent home on my shelf.

Got my bottle of green label today. Quite tasty. It's a nice rye that sits between all the 80 proof stuff and all the 100+ stuff on the market. I would agree with previously posted comments that it is an amped up version of yellow label. Not as old or as high proof as the Knob Creek Rye, but not as low proof and thin as the yellow label. It strikes a nice balance and the price is right too. It's already found a permanent home on my shelf.

Looking forward to trying this. Did you get it in PA?

Ethan, did they also have yellow label on the shelves? Was the green label priced more? So far, the green is being priced the same as yellow around here. This is such a killer deal.

There was NO yellow label on the shelf. Interestingly, the PLCB online site does not list the 90 proof, only the 80 proof. It looks like the 90 may be the replacement, at least in PA, for the yellow label. I think the green label is about $3-$5 more than what the yellow label was. However, I feel it is totally worth the $21.99 asking price.

In MN I purchased a 1L bottle of the 90 proof green label rye this week for about $22. I used it this evening to mix a few Sazeracs and found myself quite pleased with the result. I think it will make a very nice cocktail rye for a reasonable price. I am curious to sneak over to Wisconsin when I can. It was the only state where I can recall seeing a 1.75 of the yellow label. I wonder if they will get handles of the new green as a running mate or replacement. I enjoy mixing cocktails for parties on occasion and would like the bigger size.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.