BOTM 1/15: Wild Turkey 101

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Have not tried it since the label change. Thought the last couple of bottles were not very good, much younger than in past.

Will likely pick up a bottle towards the Spring. Comments sound encouraging.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All.

If I am out at a bar or a restaurant and their offerings are run of the mill and over priced WT 101 is always my go to. I keep it in the house mixed in with 20 other bottles and I am always pleased. I like most things that come out of WT, not all, but most.

My lovely sister always gets me a bottle of this for my birthday (near Thanksgiving). I have never had the older stuff, but, WT101 never disappoints and will do whatever you need it to. Also, that pic of empty WT101 is impressive...the liver is evil, it must be punished.

• 8 months later...

Having tried this for the first time last evening I have to say I am very pleased with my selection. Every bit a worthy sipper at a great price point. Plenty to enjoy.

Well.............. I'm never without a bottle of WT101, so.... I'd say I like it...lol.

I think it's hard to beat at the price point it's in. Yea, RB is better, but it's also pricier. Unless you just don't care for the taste of WT101, it's a fine bourbon... even at a price more than it is.

Been a big fan of WT101 for a while, but am wondering if there is any significance to WT's website remodel. The description of WT101 as being a marriage of primarily 6-8yr old bourbons is gone. I emailed them about it going on two weeks ago, but so far no response.

Yeah I know, not on the label so maybe didn't mean all that much anyway, but still ....

Been a big fan of WT101 for a while, but am wondering if there is any significance to WT's website remodel. The description of WT101 as being a marriage of primarily 6-8yr old bourbons is gone. I emailed them about it going on two weeks ago, but so far no response.

Yeah I know, not on the label so maybe didn't mean all that much anyway, but still ....

• 2 months later...

There's certain bourbons that taste good when sipped straight from the bottle, and WT 101 is one of those in my opinion.  Makes a great sipper for when I'm backpacking.

The last two bourbon purchases I made were WT101, so I have a bottle on hand. I will try to keep it in mind and do a serious tasting, later today.

Tim

Edited by ratcheer
Typo correction

• 11 months later...
On 2015-01-27 at 0:20 PM, Mr. Bourbon said:

I have tried the 81, It was OK.

I'd love to try the 101 but I don't think they sell it in Canada? :rolleyes:

Hey Mr. Bourbon, the 101 is sold at the LCBO (Ontario) - I always pick some up when I make a run from Quebec (we also can only get the 81)

Eric

With the demise of OGD 86, WT101 is now the "everyday pour" bourbon in this house. I bought a liter for the holidays, but haven't tasted it yet. I was into the Hirsch.  My wife and oldest son were using it, though. I'll sample it and give my thoughts, later.

Tim

Edited by ratcheer

So, I just did a side-by-side comparison of my recently purchased WT101 and Hirsch Small Batch Reserve 7-years old 92 proof. The Hirsch was a bit more expensive at $42 for 750 ml.

The flavors are quite similar. The Hirsch has more flavor and is somewhat sweeter, while the WT101 has a bit more of the "rye bite", which I do enjoy. I would call the WT "pretty good" and the Hirsch a little better.

I would also say that the WT101 is quite a bit better than my previous "everyday pour", OGD 86. Of course, it is also quite a bit pricier.

Tim

Edited by ratcheer

I was called Wild Turkey Dan a few years back at my sons wedding as I had to by the whole bottle in order to have it on the bar for me and everyone else to enjoy.  It was worth it!  101 is my weekly pour, I do really  enjoy the Kickin Chicken!  

Cheers to you Jimmy and Eddie!

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Just opened up a bottle up, it's got the new label.  Perhaps a bit younger "looking", a bit lighter from previous bottle designs.  But still has great flavor (IMHO), and think it's a bit better than the last bottle I had.  Comparing the color difference to WTKS, or Diamond Anniversary, it's a bit obvious that this is younger.  It's a solid amber, but nothing more.  So perhaps they are using younger barrels, I hope not though.

Always have a bottle on hand!

22 hours ago, anyexcuse said:

I've heard John Wayne had a liking to Turkey 101, good enough for me! :)

I've never tried Duke bourbon. Is it similar to WT101?

13 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I've never tried Duke bourbon. Is it similar to WT101?

Nor have I; nor have I any actual interest in trying it.   Can't speak to how it tastes; but I'd be very surprised to find out that it it mimics WT101

I'm fairly sure it was bottled to sell Bourbon that wasn't being sold another way.    In other words, I doubt it's something specifically blended or selected for characteristics that would've pleased John Wayne.    This is an opinion garnered from reading a few comments from folx who tried it, and from my general experience with other market-driven offerings of a similar sort.   If you do get a bottle, and have the will to open and try it, please post your impressions in the tasting threads.    I'd be curious to find out if I've been missing out, or was lucky not to have jumped at it myself.

I have one bottle of pre-label-change WT101 left in the bunker for another Thanksgiving.  I enjoy it as a sipper, but mostly, at Thanksgiving especially, I'll take it with an ice cube or two and an orange slice garnish.  It just so happens that WT101 time for me coincides with receiving boxes of oranges between Thanksgiving and Christmas and that's how I discovered that an orange slice is the perfect garnish for WT101.  

In many of his writings Hunter S. Thompson often mentioned he was drinking Wild Turkey. I wonder if it was the 101. In my mind it is their flagship whiskey or their main whiskey. Ive always been a fan of whiskey with a rye bite and this one is a favorite.

• 4 weeks later...

I love Wild Turkey 101. It was the first bourbon that I ever tasted and the only good bourbon that I drank for about 15 years (as the others that I drank in that time frame were Kessler, Rebel Yell, and Old Fitzgerald Prime).

Wild Turkey 101 has always been reliable to me, regardless of label design. Even though the price has risen over the years, I still think it is a bargain.

Long live the bird!

• jbutler unpinned this topic
  • 6 months later...
4 hours ago, georgemoe said:

Just opened my first bottle of WT101. So that's what rye bite is?

Not really. It's only 13% rye. They achieve spiciness or "bite" through other means.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.