Your Top 5 Ryes

Hedonist
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Regardless of price or availability:

1. WT 101 Rye

2. Pikesville Rye

3. Rittenhouse Rye

4. Russell's Reserve Rye

5. Old Overholt Rye (The newer 3 year old stuff is actually quite tasty!) or Knob Creek Rye.

For regularly available stuff.

SAOS BP (8 years and just beautiful stuff, though I'd guess all the reasonably aged LDI rye at barrel proof would get me excited)

Jeff 10

Ritt BiB

Baby Saz

WTR 101 (newer stuff ok, older stuff felt a bit fuller, but still good enough)

Edited by ramblinman

Need to amend #5 with SAOS 7 yr since is very good and $20 less than High West

Smooth Ambler 7 is among the best LDI's in my opinion.

Just ran across a store with several old bottles of WT101 Rye. It's one of my favorites, but I'm already stocked. That, Baby Saz, and Ritt BIB are probably my favorites though I do enjoy some CEHT and WFE Rye as well. I'm enjoying the Whistlepig that Mrs. Mosugoji got me for Xmas and it's giving me an appreciation for Canadian rye whiskey.

I'm surprised it's been two pages already and nobody has mentioned on of my favorites yet. Hirsch rye series

Hirsch 21,,22,25

Rittenhouse 21,23,25

Saz 18

Vintage 21,23

VWFRR

I like Handy and old HW ryes, by the above five are my tops.

Yah, I kinda cheated by including the whole series of years, but in those, I don't consider one year better than another, just a different variation of awesomeness.

B

I'm surprised it's been two pages already and nobody has mentioned on of my favorites yet. Hirsch rye series

B

My guess is that no one who has responded has tasted them, myself included

My guess is that no one who has responded has tasted them, myself included

Yeah, the only bottles I've ever seen have been on this site.

I kinda of figured that was the case. Hirsch, and the old Ritts, are really products of a bygone time, not to be duplicated within the foreseeable future.

B

May need to exit my answer to toss out the Vintage and VWFRR, and sub in the BMH 23 and Rathskeller.

Or extend the list to a top seven....,at this level , you're starting to split hairs on which is better.

B

Agreed. I only listed what I can get now whenever I want it. Others obviously have access to some might fine bottles.

BMH 23yr

Vintage 21

Hirsch 22

HW 16

VWFRR 13, but only prior to about 4 years ago, as there has been a drop off in quality for me.

For daily pours available now:

Ritt BIB

Dickel

Willett 4yr Indiana

HW RR

and pressed for a 4th I would say Turkey RR 6yr

Disregarding price and availability (although I do have at least one of each of these at present in bunker):

1. VWFRR

2. HW 21 yr

3. Baby Saz

4. SAOS 8 yr barrel strength

5. Jefferson's 10 yr Canadian

Lots of overlap with others, but here are mine:

1. VWFRR

2. Saz 18

3. HW 21 yr

4. Jefferson's

5. WT 101

Top 5:

LeNell's No.2

Doug's #1

Doug's #2

LeNells No.1

E.H. Taylor 100% Rye

Joe, that's a fine list. But it seems like one of those things is not like the others:grin:

Top 5:

LeNell's No.2

Doug's #1

Doug's #2

LeNells No.1

E.H. Taylor 100% Rye

Joe, that's a fine list. But it seems like one of those things is not like the others:grin:

I for one am glad to see the CEHT Rye get some love! I could never come up with a top 5 list as my tastes constantly change but I think it is excellent even if I am not overly fond of the price. But its a very interesting a tasty rye that I think is worth at least trying if the chance presents itself. It doesn't seem to be particularly hard to find, at least not locally.

Top 5:

LeNell's No.2

Doug's #1

Doug's #2

LeNells No.1

E.H. Taylor 100% Rye

This is the list of someone who's been in this hobby for some time.

I agree with the comments above - strange to see CEHT mixed in with those legendary bottles, but cool to see. It was one of my first ryes when I started the journey and I still highly regard it after trying so many others since then.

• 3 weeks later...

If we ignore rarity, and go with stuff you can find today, my list is as follows:

1. VWFRR

2. Saz 18

3. HW Rendezvous

4. Baby Saz

4A. Ritt - DSP 354

5.WT101 - New or old, it's all good

If we can include the best stuff we've ever had, then my list would be as follows:

1.Old Overholt '57

2. Mt. Vernon ND Rye '70s - Thanks, Mike.

3. VWFRRR

4. Saz 18 - pre-tank

5. Redhook Rye - 2oz pour for $12 at Vessel in Seattle....memories.

Edited by humchan2k

1. Ritt 25 yr.

2. Ritt 21 yr.

3. BTAC Handy

4. Ritt - DSP 354

5. HW - Double Rye

I've got others I haven't opened (or tasted) that would probably top the list... :bandit:

I really don't have a lot of rye around. I haven't had 2 and 3 for a few years, but remember them fondly:

1. CEHT Rye. Expensive but delicious

2. BTAC Thos. Handy barrel proof

3. Baby Saz

4. WT Rye 101

5. KC Rye

Note: there's not a wide scale between the two, although the three BT ryes are far sweeter and less spicy than WT and KC. I'm also impressed with Old Potrero 19th Century, but it's difficult to find so I can't really put it on a favorites list.

Two ryes I've never had the chance to try but hope to some day are Dad's Hat and Tom's Foolery. I suspect either would find their way to my top five list, displacing something currently therein.

• 5 months later...

It is very interesting to see CEHT Rye get so much love. I haven't tried this one yet - may need to be my next purchase with all of the glowing accolades that many state.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.