Your Top 5 Ryes

Hedonist
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It is very interesting to see CEHT Rye get so much love. I haven't tried this one yet - may need to be my next purchase with all of the glowing accolades that many state.
Edited by petrel800

It is very interesting to see CEHT Rye get so much love. I haven't tried this one yet - may need to be my next purchase with all of the glowing accolades that many state.

It's a wholly unique rye on the market currently. There really isn't anything like it out there. It has a solid flavor at 100 proof. I'm a fan and though I struggle with the price, I'll probably buy another when my current bottle runs dry.

The last bottle I had just didn't taste like it was worth $79.99, but that was at least a year ago. Maybe this needs re-visiting.

It's a wholly unique rye on the market currently. There really isn't anything like it out there. It has a solid flavor at 100 proof. I'm a fan and though I struggle with the price, I'll probably buy another when my current bottle runs dry.

Thanks! I am also seeing the WTRRR on quite a few lists - still haven't pulled the trigger on that one - but would prefer it to come in closer to 100prf. Is the cask strength going to be limited release or readily available?

Thanks! I am also seeing the WTRRR on quite a few lists - still haven't pulled the trigger on that one - but would prefer it to come in closer to 100prf. Is the cask strength going to be limited release or readily available?

The new NAS "single barrel" rye is supposed to be a regular addition but unlike the 110 proof of the bourbon it will be 104 proof. Still pretty respectable of course but running about $60 (or more...) a bottle. Not terrible I suppose but for that much perhaps a minimum age statement would be nice.

The last bottle I had just didn't taste like it was worth $79.99, but that was at least a year ago. Maybe this needs re-visiting.

My all time list would look like this:

1. Rath

2. V21

3. VWFRR

4. Saz 18

5. WT Xmas rye

Other honorable mentions are: Ritt 23 and 25yr, H22 and H25, a couple of different Willett 25yr ryes, THH, the "dusty" WT101.

Edited by KySalesRep
Changed mind

My all time list would look like this:

1. Rath

2. V21

3. VWFRR

4. Saz 18

5. WT Xmas rye

Other honorable mentions are: Ritt 23 and 25yr, H22 and H25, a couple of different Willett 25yr ryes, THH, the "dusty" WT101.

Wow Dan, that's a legendary lineup that for some reason made me recall the old Yankee's 'Murderer's Row' (Earle Combs, Mark Koenig, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Bob Meusel, and Tony Lazzeri).

I guess they do have something in common, both being the best of their era and now long gone... but, not forgotten! :toast:

• 3 months later...

I would rank like so:

1. Willett Bonili 24/110

2. Willett Bonili 24/90

3. VWFRR

4. Sazerac 18

5. Baby Sazerac

I wonder how the profile in the 2015 VWFRR is? I'm not so sure the BT rye as seen in baby Saz and THH will be on par... :skep:

I would rank like so:

1. Willett Bonili 24/110

2. Willett Bonili 24/90

3. VWFRR

4. Sazerac 18

5. Baby Sazerac

I wonder how the profile in the 2015 VWFRR is? I'm not so sure the BT rye as seen in baby Saz and THH will be on par... :skep:

BT has had rye over 13 years old for a few years now. What makes you think they're suddenly switching the profile this year?

BT has had rye over 13 years old for a few years now. What makes you think they're suddenly switching the profile this year?

Harlan Wheatley has already said in public that VWFRR has some BT rye in it since at least last year at a dinner I attended (which I relayed somewhere on this board when it happened) so I have to think we can expect more and more each year. The original rye blend can't last forever!

Harlan Wheatley has already said in public that VWFRR has some BT rye in it since at least last year at a dinner I attended (which I relayed somewhere on this board when it happened) so I have to think we can expect more and more each year. The original rye blend can't last forever!

Good point, those who are able to purchase a VW rye this year would not have other bottles with which to compare it so good, solid rye, even of a slightly different profile, isn't going to be noticed by most consumers.

Good point, those who are able to purchase a VW rye this year would not have other bottles with which to compare it so good, solid rye, even of a slightly different profile, isn't going to be noticed by most consumers.

True, most won't. But a few on this board may get the chance to compare!

It is the one Van Winkle I still try to look for. I have a 2012 and another bottle that I can't find a laser code on. It might be under the label but I haven't been able to spot it. It has a B bottle number and I got it in 2011 so it seems likely that is the correct year but I had expected to find a laser date.

Possibly both are prior to the addition of any BT rye but no way to know for sure without confirmation from the source I suppose. It was a bit curious when thye started lettering bottles with an A again in 2010 so maybe the formula changed then although I think it started with the bottles with a C bottle code. At least most sites seem to suggest that was the case.

Heck, there may be few folks here who still have a bottle from the late 90's/early 2000's that was rumored to be Medley rye only before it got tanked and combined with COK. Anything before 2010 is likely to be BT rye free. Not that BT rye is necessarily a bad thing! Just different. I have a 2013 C bottle open currently and it tastes perfectly lovely.

As you can see from the number of posts, I am a bit of a newcomer to the bourbon/rye evaluation world. But, in the past two years, the most enjoyable for me have been

1. Whistle Pig - The Boss Hog 12 Yr

2. Col. E.H. Taylor Rye

3. Willett 4 Yr

4. High West Rendezvous

5. Whistle Pig 10 Yr

As fun to drink, without taking them too seriously, I've had Alberta Rye Dark Batch, Willett 2 Yr, and Angel's Envy. Looking forward to meeting Pikesville, Michter's Barrel Strength, and Lock, Stock, & Barrel in the coming year. The rye area is quite the flavor playground.

True, most won't. But a few on this board may get the chance to compare! . . . . It is the one Van Winkle I still try to look for.

Heck, there may be few folks here who still have a bottle from the late 90's/early 2000's that was rumored to be Medley rye only before it got tanked and combined with COK. . . . .

On 11/29/2015, 4:09:14, Madhatter said:

As you can see from the number of posts, I am a bit of a newcomer to the bourbon/rye evaluation world. But, in the past two years, the most enjoyable for me have been

2. Col. E.H. Taylor Rye

3. Willett 4 Yr

4. High West Rendezvous

5. Whistle Pig 10 Yr

As fun to drink, without taking them too seriously, I've had Alberta Rye Dark Batch, Willett 2 Yr, and Angel's Envy. Looking forward to meeting Pikesville, Michter's Barrel Strength, and Lock, Stock, & Barrel in the coming year. The rye area is quite the flavor playground.

I am right there with you on #2 - 5 - I have never had the WPBH12 but your post is making me re-think it, now I just need to find that expensive bottle!

Does it just blow the CEHT Rye out of the water or is it close?

1 hour ago, jakerthesnaker79 said:

I am right there with you on #2 - 5 - I have never had the WPBH12 but your post is making me re-think it, now I just need to find that expensive bottle!

Does it just blow the CEHT Rye out of the water or is it close?

I tasted the CEHT Rye and the Whistle Pig 12 Yr side-by-side at a tasting last year.  Yes, the Whistle Pig was demonstrably better - it had a great blend of power and balance, that were in perfect harmony with each other.  I described it as aggressive and uncivilized - but in the best possible way.  On the Taylor, I used every adjective in the book - chewy, vanilla, smokey, caramel, leather, peppery, woody.  But it did not have the seamlessness of the Boss Hog.  

Put another way, the Taylor at #2 was closer to #3-5 than it was to the Boss Hog. But, based on cost and the other ryes I owned, I purchased the CEHT bottle, and let the Boss hog go, as just a great tasting memory.

After tasting Pikesville, it has definitely entered my Top 5.

SAOS BP, HW MWND, Pikesville, CEHT, Ritt

Edited by KyleCBreese

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had many ryes yet, I thought I wouldn't like them until I tried my first one a year ago. So far I've had 6 and 4 of them I've really enjoyed. I have yet to open my Pappy and EH Taylor ryes.

My top 4:

Sazerac 18

Rittenhouse BIB

Whistle Pig 10

CR Northern Harvest

On 12/3/2015, 3:20:22, Madhatter said:

I tasted the CEHT Rye and the Whistle Pig 12 Yr side-by-side at a tasting last year.  Yes, the Whistle Pig was demonstrably better - it had a great blend of power and balance, that were in perfect harmony with each other.  I described it as aggressive and uncivilized - but in the best possible way.  On the Taylor, I used every adjective in the book - chewy, vanilla, smokey, caramel, leather, peppery, woody.  But it did not have the seamlessness of the Boss Hog.  

Put another way, the Taylor at #2 was closer to #3-5 than it was to the Boss Hog. But, based on cost and the other ryes I owned, I purchased the CEHT bottle, and let the Boss hog go, as just a great tasting memory.

That is a great way to compare it, I appreciate it!

On 11/29/2015, 4:09:14, Madhatter said:

2. Col. E.H. Taylor Rye

3. Willett 4 Yr

4. High West Rendezvous

5. Whistle Pig 10 Yr

Let me know what you think about the Michter's BS, Pikesville, and the WTRRSBR, I have all and havent opened them yet...you are right there are just too many to keep up with!

• 3 weeks later...

Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye

vW Family Reserve

Lock Stock & Barrel

Willett 8 yr old

High West Rendezvous 

Edited by bigtoys

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.