Your Top 5 Ryes

Hedonist
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I would buy these again in order:

THH

SAOS BP

HWRR

SAZ Jr

Dickel / Bulliet

KC Rye

JB green label

SAZ 18 (too expensive currently)

I won't be buying these again: 

Pikesville, Rittenhouse, Alberta Dark Batch, WT101 rye.

11 hours ago, ken_mays said:

I would buy these again in order:

THH

SAOS BP

HWRR

SAZ Jr

Dickel / Bulliet

KC Rye

JB green label

SAZ 18 (too expensive currently)

I won't be buying these again: 

Pikesville, Rittenhouse, Alberta Dark Batch, WT101 rye.

I'm curious what attracts you to the top list, but not the bottom batch.  I don't see an obvious thread as far as age, mashbil, proof, etc.  Thx.   M-H

1 hour ago, Madhatter said:

I'm curious what attracts you to the top list, but not the bottom batch.  I don't see an obvious thread as far as age, mashbil, proof, etc.  Thx.   M-H

In a word, flavor.  Complexity of flavor.  Rittenhouse pretty much tastes like nothing in particular but ethanol to me, Pikesville the same but more so. WT adds notes of acetone, no surprise since most WT offerings taste primarily like sour acetone in general to me.  With Alberta I find the sherry overpowering everything. 

Edited by ken_mays

Most of you that have been members here a while know that I'm not a rye guy. I will say that I have tried though. And I'm still trying. (FWIW, I'm the self proclaimed, and some times referred to as, the Weller/wheater whore of SB. :D) That being said, I have purchased and tried a few ryes over the years. Here are my top five ryes, in no particular order.

1. VWFRR. This was before it became impossible to find, and the price was still less than $55.00                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

2. Rittenhouse 23 yr old. I got a deal on some of these a number of years ago at $100 off a bottle. Retail was $170.00. Got 'em for $70.00, plus 10 % off for buying a three bottle case. :o And I bought multiple three bottle cases over a two-three year time span. This can be verified by a few members here who ultimately benefited by my good fortune. ;)

3. Rittenhouse BIB. The older version.

4. Baby Saz. A private selection bottling that was pretty darned good. Sweet and sassy.

5. Knob Creek Rye. I tried this at a tasting this past summer, and also again recently. Nothing fancy, but not too bad.

Cheers! Joe

I've played this game before and it changes daily. 

Therefore, I proclaim my love for all rye as well as my inability to 'settle' on five. 

They all bring something unique to the party, so I'll just keep drinking...

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Most of you that have been members here a while know that I'm not a rye guy. I will say that I have tried though. And I'm still trying. (FWIW, I'm the self proclaimed, and some times referred to as, the Weller/wheater whore of SB. :D) That being said, I have purchased and tried a few ryes over the years. Here are my top five ryes, in no particular order.

1. VWFRR. This was before it became impossible to find, and the price was still less than $55.00                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

2. Rittenhouse 23 yr old. I got a deal on some of these a number of years ago at $100 off a bottle. Retail was $170.00. Got 'em for $70.00, plus 10 % off for buying a three bottle case. :o And I bought multiple three bottle cases over a two-three year time span. This can be verified by a few members here who ultimately benefited by my good fortune. ;)

3. Rittenhouse BIB. The older version.

4. Baby Saz. A private selection bottling that was pretty darned good. Sweet and sassy.

5. Knob Creek Rye. I tried this at a tasting this past summer, and also again recently. Nothing fancy, but not too bad.

Cheers! Joe

I will attest to Joe's generosity.  Does it surprise anyone that I haven't opened it yet?  Waiting for the right time.  I think the next time my daughter and 

SIL are here from Long Island, this bottle will get opened as he is a rye Manhattan drinker.

17 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

I will attest to Joe's generosity.  Does it surprise anyone that I haven't opened it yet?  Waiting for the right time.  I think the next time my daughter and 

SIL are here from Long Island, this bottle will get opened as he is a rye Manhattan drinker.

Are you planning to make Manhattan's with Ritt 23? That would be one heck of a Manhattan! As much of a cocktail guy as I am not sure I could bring myself to make them with Ritt 23 even if I had a lot of it in hand.

Since I don't have any Ritt 23 on hand it is an easier decision... B)

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Are you planning to make Manhattan's with Ritt 23? That would be one heck of a Manhattan! As much of a cocktail guy as I am not sure I could bring myself to make them with Ritt 23 even if I had a lot of it in hand.

Since I don't have any Ritt 23 on hand it is an easier decision... B)

For my daughter and SIL, I would.  My SIL is way beyond great.  He's a great husband, father, and SIL.  Very smart and very high achieving without pushing it on you.

On 1/9/2016, 6:23:25, bigtoys said:

Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye

vW Family Reserve

Lock Stock & Barrel

Willett 8 yr old

High West Rendezvous 

That LSB is interesting, I see it around, it gets both some praise and some sideways glances - what do you like about that one? I just dont' know if I can do 130$ for the bottle when I can get great CEHTRye and WPSiB store selections.

When people refer to Pikesville do they always mean the 110? I have a bottle of it and love it. Never tried the bottom shelf Pikesville and didn't think its rep was worthy of being in anyone's top 5. Thx

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2016‎ ‎3‎:‎19‎:‎15‎, Charlutz said:

When people refer to Pikesville do they always mean the 110? I have a bottle of it and love it. Never tried the bottom shelf Pikesville and didn't think its rep was worthy of being in anyone's top 5. Thx

Would have to confirm with each individual but most likely it refers to the new 6yo 110 proof. The prior Pikesville version had very limited distribution.

25 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Would have to confirm with each individual but most likely it refers to the new 6yo 110 proof. The prior Pikesville version had very limited distribution.

Ok, thanks. The bottom shelf version is stacked deep in the Total Wine and local ABC stores, plus many family shops here in Maryland so I didn't realize it wasn't widespread. Guess that's an attempt to market the Maryland rye history and 'Pikesville' familiarity (Baltimore suburb) locally. I do love the 110. Top 2 for me. 

1. THH (only had a one oz. pour in a bar one time, but found it outstanding).  I'll have to try again. 

2. Pikesville 110

3. Rittenhouse BIB. This is somewhat of a value pick but I love the flavor as well and drink it a lot plus have no issue putting it into cocktails because the price is so reasonable. 

4. Baby Saz. Yes, it's mellow but I like it as an easy pour. 

5. HW Rendezvous. Just got a bottle of this. Need to spend some more time with it but it's ahead of:

Bulleit - do not care for this at all. 

Alberta Dark Batch - I've come to grips with the sherry overtone but it's too strong and masks the rye. 

Knob Creek - I like this but not top 5. 

CRNH - I tried it after it came out on Murray's blog but just found it too plain. Will try it again  

I'm new to rye and haven't tried WT101 or some of the other well touted ryes yet. This list may change if I discover something new. 

Edited by Charlutz
Auto correct

48 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I'm new to rye and haven't tried WT101 or some of the other well touted ryes yet. This list may change if I discover something new. 

You may be new to ryes but you have covered already a fair swath of the producer spectrum.  Throw in something from Smooth Ambler, Wild Turkey, Dickel, Willett, and Woodford (not widely distributed) and you're an expert.  Enjoy the range of ryes, rye mashbills, and finishes.  It is a good time to be a rye fan.

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

Ok, thanks. The bottom shelf version is stacked deep in the Total Wine and local ABC stores, plus many family shops here in Maryland so I didn't realize it wasn't widespread. Guess that's an attempt to market the Maryland rye history and 'Pikesville' familiarity (Baltimore suburb) locally. I do love the 110. Top 2 for me. 

Yes, Maryland and a few surrounding areas seemed to get the majority of the old Pikesville in the past. Still seems to be some question as to whether HH intends to keep making it.

TOP 5 Huh? that would be:

Doug's green ink and black ink 22's and LeNells 1 and 2. All barrel proof and probably the 4 finest ryes ever produced. As to the fifth one, who knows............who cares.

11 hours ago, BourbonJoe said:

TOP 5 Huh? that would be:

Doug's green ink and black ink 22's and LeNells 1 and 2. All barrel proof and probably the 4 finest ryes ever produced. As to the fifth one, who knows............who cares.

Wait . . . you mean people actually drink/drank those?!?!?! ;)  

• 7 months later...

1) Rittenhouse BIB

2) Sazerac (Standard)

3) James E Pepper*

4) George Dickel Rye*

5) Old Overholt

*It's been a long time since I've had Bulleit, but I'd probably slot it in place of either of these.

Edited by BDanner

1.) Rip Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

2.) Tanked Saz 18

3.) HH Pikesville Rye 6/110

4.) High West Midwinter Night's Dram

5.) All the Ryes I haven't tried yet.

Thought I had posted mine long ago. But here goes:

1. Doug's Green

2. Rathskeller 

3. Neil/Doug Black

4. Ritt 25

5. Van Winkle Old Time Rye 12. 

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:10 PM, Old Dusty said:

1. Doug's Green

2. Rathskeller 

3. Neil/Doug Black

4. Ritt 25

Hmm, think I will just pop down to the local store and pick up one of each of these to see if I like them too... :lol:

That would be one heck of a fun tasting even if I did have to bring my pet beaver!

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Hmm, think I will just pop down to the local store and pick up one of each of these to see if I like them too... :lol:

That would be one heck of a fun tasting even if I did have to bring my pet beaver!

SB's new mascot...the beaver.

On September 29, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Old Dusty said:

1. Doug's Green

2. Rathskeller 

3. Neil/Doug Black

4. Ritt 25

Those old Doug's ryes must have been incredible if they were up there with Rathskeller. I tried the Rathskeller at Jack Rose in DC a couple years ago and it was probably the best whiskey (of any type) I've ever had.

7 hours ago, Kpiz said:

SB's new mascot...the beaver.

Those old Doug's ryes must have been incredible if they were up there with Rathskeller. I tried the Rathskeller at Jack Rose in DC a couple years ago and it was probably the best whiskey (of any type) I've ever had.

They were all for the same source-a bulk lot from Bernheim that KBD aquired and supposedly rebarreled. It makes sense because the bottle yields from each barrel were exceptionally high for the age. All of them that I have tasted were awesome especially the versions bottled at cask strength. But even the lower proof like Vintage 21 and the Bonilli bottlings are fantastic.  Still have a few on my bucket list-LaNell's Red Hook and the Ledroit picks-Iron Fist and Velvet Glove. 

Just read this thread - I could go with a beaver as a mascot.

Top 5 ryes?  In the order I seek them:  Pikesville 110, Ritt, WT Rye101, pick'em, LE's recently released that I fall on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.