What's your favorite bourbon bar ?

LakeJ
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Living on Long Island especially out towards thee end I really don't have any good bourbon bars. It's mostly microbrews and wine. In 2012 I had the pleasure of doings the Kentucky Bourbon trail and finished it. I stayed in Louisville and fond that I felt quite at home at Dish on Market. The bourbon selection was smaller then others but at around 50 or so bottles at the time I had no complaints. The huge chocolate brownies they sold went quite well with the bourbon back at the room. So fellow SB members what's your favorite bourbon bar ?

Living on Long Island especially out towards thee end I really don't have any good bourbon bars. It's mostly microbrews and wine. In 2012 I had the pleasure of doings the Kentucky Bourbon trail and finished it. I stayed in Louisville and fond that I felt quite at home at Dish on Market. The bourbon selection was smaller then others but at around 50 or so bottles at the time I had no complaints. The huge chocolate brownies they sold went quite well with the bourbon back at the room. So fellow SB members what's your favorite bourbon bar ?

My house, better selection than any bar I've ever been to.....

Jack Rose for all the whiskies. Prices are high for trendy stuff, but their selection is so enormous that there are always reasonably priced pours that I want to try.

Otherwise, my house.

First Place? My House, of course, because the guy stocking the shelves likes exactly the stuff I like!

Second place, for a local bar is a place in Wyandotte, MI (about 5-6-miles from my house) called Bourbons, Brews & Bayou. Pretty good selection of Bourbons; but not way out with Pappy, GTStagg and WLW or anything of that rarity.

A better selection, including some of those, is a place in Ann Arbor, where I attended a function put on by Mike Veach. It's on Main St. and it's called something Crow or Crows... or Raven's... Yeah, Raven's I think is it.

The proprietor there had a quite a nice collection on display. I don't know if that would qualify as a 'favorite', since it's 30-miles or more from home, and I basically never go that far for a pour.

Dish understands a good value. You can go there at lunch and get a handmade big burger, fries, and any bourbon priced at $6 or less (think WT101, OGDBIB, Fighting Cock, etc), all for $10. When Mrs Fox worked downtown and I went to school downtown, we met there a lot.

Across the river theres a place called "Feast" that offers a decent selection at great prices, and some of the best BBQ around.

Youll notice my 'bars' also are restaurants.....I dont often go out to a place that is only a bar

Dish understands a good value. You can go there at lunch and get a handmade big burger, fries, and any bourbon priced at $6 or less (think WT101, OGDBIB, Fighting Cock, etc), all for $10. When Mrs Fox worked downtown and I went to school downtown, we met there a lot.

Across the river theres a place called "Feast" that offers a decent selection at great prices, and some of the best BBQ around.

Youll notice my 'bars' also are restaurants.....I dont often go out to a place that is only a bar

I'm going to be in Louisville in a few weeks and I may have to try Dish. The menu looks great.

I will be in Louisville in October and will have to try Feast.

My bar, just because it represents a better value and selection than what is near me.

Besides that, I'd say the Butcher and The Rye in Pittsburgh, search the rye forum for my epic flight posting.

As others said, Dish is great, good breakfast too! Doc Crows isn't bad for selection, but my favorite Louisville spot may come as a surprise, but I really like the lobby bar at Brown Hotel. High and low end selections and a great lobby atmosphere.

B

My house, better selection than any bar I've ever been to.....

Exactly! Although I haven't been there in some time, Slow's BBQ in the D had great BBQ, craft beer, and a very good bourbon selection.

Jack Rose in DC is pretty amazing. In Louisville I like Bourbons Bistro. I'd like to find a set of the glasses they use for flights...

post-5040-14489822005617_thumb.jpg

I hear very good things about Jack Rose. I'd like to visit one day. The Brown Hotel lobby bar is on my to do list in October.

I hear very good things about Jack Rose. I'd like to visit one day.
It's honestly worth an overnight trip. There are whiskies available that you will likely never get another opportunity to try, though many of those are going to be costly. Regardless, they self report as having the largest whisk(e)y collection in the Western Hemisphere.

If you do visit, I recommend coming right when they open, around 5 PM. You'll get the best service and a guaranteed seat at the bar.

I will be in Louisville in October and will have to try Feast.

he just opened a new additional "Feast" on Main or Market streets in downtown Louisville too.

It's honestly worth an overnight trip. There are whiskies available that you will likely never get another opportunity to try, though many of those are going to be costly. Regardless, they self report as having the largest whisk(e)y collection in the Western Hemisphere.

If you do visit, I recommend coming right when they open, around 5 PM. You'll get the best service and a guaranteed seat at the bar.

Good to know about getting there early. Going to be down in DC for a bachelor party. That is one of the places we plan on going.

Good to know about getting there early. Going to be down in DC for a bachelor party. That is one of the places we plan on going.
I'm not sure how it would be on a weeknight, but on the weekend it can get pretty crazy.

Another WashDC place (well, places - there are two bars with the same name) is "Bourbon" (website http://www.bourbondc.com/). The Adams Morgan one has better food IMO which often gets overlooked; both have a wide selection and even some scarce bourbons (for a price, of course), and the upstairs at the AM one is often less crowded. If you don't see what you want, ask as it may be on the "other" floor. I wanted to try 4R's OESV, and they went downstairs and grabbed it off the 12-recipe lineup for me. Wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly. They do not pressure as long as you don't monopolize.

Do not confuse these sisters with "Bourbon Steak" which is the bourbon & steak bar/restaurant in the Four Seasons Hotel. As with most Four Seasons offerings, it is exquisite but expensive. On the other hand, the person who has selected the recent 4R barrels for Bourbon Steak's "house barrel select" knows what he or she is doing, and that's not just my humble opinion, so if you are a fan of 4R, it might be worth your time to wander in for a taste if you can afford it.

Hate to drink outside since I'm well stock at home. But locally Hardwater in SF but they don't pour 1 oz I think :) and Sauced BBQ in Livermore.

Not a lot in my neck of the woods that I can consider great bourbon bars. All have the standards. However, when I go to Jackson, MS once a month for meetings I end up at The Man Ship. Great food and a 5 page bourbon list which includes all of the BTAC with multiple years, Pappy for reasonable prices, and a slew of other quality offerings from 4R, Trace, Beam, etcetera. Really solid place if anyone is ever passing through. Owner is a great guy too.

The Century Bar in Dayton, OH. The selection is as good as it can be in a control state but the ambiance is why you should go. No TVs, no food, just handmade cocktails and great pours of whiskey. A must stop if you are in the area!

My bar, just because it represents a better value and selection than what is near me.

Besides that, I'd say the Butcher and The Rye in Pittsburgh, search the rye forum for my epic flight posting.

As others said, Dish is great, good breakfast too! Doc Crows isn't bad for selection, but my favorite Louisville spot may come as a surprise, but I really like the lobby bar at Brown Hotel. High and low end selections and a great lobby atmosphere.

B

butcher & the boar in minneapolis isn't too bad.

I don't have a favorite bar for bourbon. Beer, but not bourbon. Just curious, any Cincy guys here know of decent bourbon bars in downtown Cincy? Going to a workshop at the Duke Energy Center.

We're going through a massive boom in American/Southern themed bourbon/cocktail and BBQ places here in Australia. Sadly they don't carry the 'easy on the wallet' prices that a typical BBQ joint will in the USA, but they do serve excellent food, and the list of bourbons can often be around 50 or so on offer. I couldn't pick just one favourite in the city of Brisbane, but can narrow it down to 3 or 4:

1. The Gresham (www.thegresham.com.au) Hands down the best bourbon selection I've seen here. And, a BYO food policy means you can pair a great pour with any cuisine you like from nearby take-out eateries.

2. Mighty Mighty (www.mightymighty.net.au) Awesome BBQ, with a great selection of bourbon on offer

3. Papa Jacks (www.papajacks.com.au) Great New Orleans influenced cocktail bar with French-inspired southern food.

4. The Bowery (www.thebowery.com.au) No food (that I know of), but a great New York Speakeasy style bar with a bourbon selection to match.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.