New Wild Turkey Master's Keep, bottled at 86.8 proof

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Quick question: We keep hearing the pricing of $150. Where is that from? Is there something from WT stating such?

Nope. Just speculation at this point derived from the cost of Diamond and assuming the worst.

I would characterize it as a guesstimate based on the price of Diamond, which is selling for $130 to $150 around here.

Oh. No announcement by WT? So, the blogger r mused on the price on his blog and it got here...?

That seems like a reasonable estimate...

Hmmm, so it went from there, to...

;)

Oh. No announcement by WT? So, the blogger r mused on the price on his blog and it got here...?

No, no, no......none of that sensible talk here. We need to bitch about stuff.

No, no, no......none of that sensible talk here. We need to bitch about stuff.

Oh yes by all means less bitch more about something we have little information on and no taste of, yes please.

The only thing better than bitching is bitching about bitching. I, for one, found the complaining posts interesting because many of them included information about Wild Turkey's recent activities, even though I already knew some of it.

Is there a taboo on complaining about trends people do not think are good for the enthusiast community? That seems like an increasing theme lately.

Is there a taboo on complaining about trends people do not think are good for the enthusiast community? That seems like an increasing theme lately.

Not that I'm aware of. Although smokinjoe was getting pretty cranky toward the end of last year.

I don't think there's anything wrong about expressing frustration about the perception of negative industry trends. What I find is the pronouncement of absolutes based personal perception and opinion rather than facts. There are a number of bottlings folks really like that I don't. I don't feel the need to bitch about them. I just let others enjoy what they want rather than try to oppress the conversation with my opinions.

Not that I'm aware of. Although smokinjoe was getting pretty cranky toward the end of last year.

Must I keep reminding you people...? I'm not cranky...

I'm that...:

What's with all the YouTube links in most all your posts Joe?..:grin:

I'm that...:

Joe's just mad because the goat won't return his texts.

I'm going to guess a price point of 80. That WT knows Diamond was overpriced, and this won't be the same degree of fancy bottle. Less cost to them, more sales.

Still lame at 86. And I wouldn't buy any turkey below 100.

The only thing better than bitching is bitching about bitching. I, for one, found the complaining posts interesting because many of them included information about Wild Turkey's recent activities, even though I already knew some of it.

Nah. The culture of SB, the original and for years only internet source for bourbon, has always been one of meticulous and accurate information, if not a few accompanying dustups. More important now that everybody over the age of 8, has a connection and way to blab. As to taboos, my own personal are Reddit and any drink with vodka :grin:.

Joe's just mad because the goat won't return his texts.

That's one sweet piece of animal.

The goat, not Joe. Just to clarify.

That's one sweet piece of animal.

The goat, not Joe. Just to clarify.

Glad you cleared that up. There is nothing worse than a truculent goat!

Except maybe a truculent goat standing directly behind you... :skep:

It's not taboo at all, and to suggest such is just plain silly. But, don't expect that since you may be arguing a point that you feel is in the best interest of the enthusiast community, that it is not open to challenge here. Depending on what you say and how you say it, there is no guarantee that your position will not be countered by other whiskey enthusiasts who may think differently or interpret things in another way.

It's not taboo at all, and to suggest such is just plain silly. But, don't expect that since you may be arguing a point that you feel is in the best interest of the enthusiast community, that it is not open to challenge here. Depending on what you say and how you say it, there is no guarantee that your position will not be countered by other whiskey enthusiasts who may think differently or interpret things in another way.

Indeed. Expressing opinions and hearing opinions about those opinions is what forums like this are about. It would be really dull if that didn't happen.

Edited by Josh

Has anyone tasted a cask strength whiskey that was better watered down to 90ish proof? I feel like water opens up certain pours but I can't say I've ever thought the watering down added some heretofore undiscovered charm. Not saying it's impossible but it seems like many hyper aged products are 90 proof or so, maybe there's something to it. I also understand that differentiations are important in your portfolio but man this just looks cash-in to me.

I've argued the above on other forums. It's always a few magic drops that make everything wonderful - as though all the water added to downproof the original barrel were somehow non-magical and the release proof point always a few drops too high above ideal.

Water is water, as far as I'm concerned.

The difference with high proof spirits is that you can add as much water as you want to dilute it to whatever ABV you want. This is the "whiskey concentrate" idea. Often, if one does the math (admittedly not my strong suit), an expensive barrel proof whiskey can be a better value than a middle or lower shelf 80-90 proof offering. At worst one usually comes close to breaking even.

We're veering a little off topic but that's how I think about it. Or to put it another way, the lower the proof, the more water you're buying.

I got it. Everything is always good.

• 3 weeks later...
I've argued the above on other forums. It's always a few magic drops that make everything wonderful - as though all the water added to downproof the original barrel were somehow non-magical and the release proof point always a few drops too high above ideal.

Water is water, as far as I'm concerned.

See E-pistle 2009/03 "The Chemistry of Water and Whisky" by Nabil Mailloux. Apparently whisk(e)y adjusts to downproofing and it can be reawakened by adding just a drop or two of water. There is a chemical process going on that has nothing to do with "watering down" your drink.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.