BOTM 3/15: Buffalo Trace

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This month marks a first. It's the first time a bourbon has been the BOTM three times. :bigeyes: The main reason for that being, I could do a BOTM of something a bit more obscure or different, but that wouldn't benefit the membership here as a whole, especially the plethora (I love that word :grin:) of new members that are searching for advice on what to try.

A lot has already been said about BT. Some bad, and some good. For me personally, I like it. A lot. There may have been some inconsistencies with it at times in the past, but I honestly think that BT has worked their way through that. I agree that at one time there may have been a hay or grassy flavor. I don't see it all that apparent anymore. I think those nuances have been replaced by a slightly musty nose/flavor that I associate with the smell of a rickhouse. More of a sweetness is apparent too. Nice balance, decent price. You can't ask for much more than that. IMHO, (and yes I know what they say about opinions :deadhorse:) I think BT is one of those bourbons that can best be exemplified by saying that it is a great example of bourbon, or better yet, what a bourbon is, and/or should be. 'Nuff ced'.

So, let's hear what y'all have to say about BT. And once again just a little reminder here, the BOTM is about everyone's thoughts and tasting notes on BT the bourbon. If you want to comment on BT the distillery, good or bad, this ain't the time nor the place for that. Please, do it elsewhere, or not at all. :rolleyes: One other thing, just for sh**s and giggles, y'all may want to go back and look at what was said about BT when it was previously the BOTM.

Cheers, and happy posting!

Joe

BT was one of the bourbons that definitely got me on my journey. My Dad brought me some after visiting their distillery (I'm not sure whether he had ever tried it before that or not), and I really liked it. Before that, I was drinking Crown Royal (so as you can see - he literally saved me from what would have become a wasted youth . . . or rather wasted mid-life!) I still enjoy it, although I'll admit it isn't one I pick up anymore due to having just too damn much whiskey :lol: Yes, I know there is a solution to that, but it is the type of thing I don't crave often enough for its difference to carry a bottle in the cabinet. I do love the bottle though, and the distillery grounds are gorgeous. It was my first distillery tour as well, so it will always have a special place in my heart (and maybe one day, will get back in the cabinet!)

Agree with Joe. Latest bottle I purchased was a single barrel store pick that did not have any grassy or hay flavor. Been 3-4 years since my last bottle. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will pick up more.

I have a bottle in the bunker. I just may have to open one up and give it a shot.

I actually had some last night.

It has grown on me over the last year or so. Nice smooth sweet entry, corn and a little spice, vanilla, maybe some caramel. Nice mouth feel. Good finish, a little heat, but not overwhelming. Spice is there, but I am not sure I can ID it very well.

Overall to me an excellent example of a modern bourbon interpretation. I would recommend it.

Edited by TheEgg

Love this one. It was what I bought after my brother-in-law introduced my to Stagg and I tried to go out and buy Stagg but couldn't. (Darn bourbon boom). So, this one has been with me since the beginning of my enthusiast years. Throughout my journey, I've found that I really really have something for the BT mash #1 which plants BT firmly in my wheelhouse for a good budget pour. It's one I can go to easily when I can't decide what to drink because it always satisfies. I also use it to vat with Stagg Jr. and it performs marvelously in that role. So to sum up, it's a favorite and I'll always have an open bottle on the shelf.

One of my favorite go-to pours! It's been a while for me on this one, so will pick up an Aussie version of this (700ml bottle @ 80 proof) next weekend. Tasting notes to hopefully follow next week :)

BT for me:

Opening nose is like standing in the pouring room during a distillery tour - all warm sugar/caramel/cinnamon with that musty wood undertone. First sip is like a bite of candy apple - some sweetness coupled with apple pie spice. I get no burn which is no surprise; it's 90 proof, and I usually drink BIBs neat so my tongue's already conditioned/charred. Tonight, I had an OGD BIB early on (the new label just to see if I still liked it and I did). For my second, I decided to survey my open bottles, and, serendipitously, grabbed my BT. THEN, I logged on only to discover the BOTM is BT. IN SUM: darn good choice. And, Joe, I did peruse the last BOTM thread. I've never experienced the grassy note some noted, but then, I don't think I tasted BT 90 (other than as an ASmith Bowman redistillate) until 2012.

AND, a restaurant we frequent regularly now carries BT - a product added after I mentioned that I thought their selection was spotty and could be improved and made a few suggestions. At least they took THIS one.:pope:

BT is good...but there is just something missing. I have never had the single barrel expression, next time is see one from a local I will definitely grab one. Also, I find the label humorous, BT might have the longest story/explanation of any bourbon on the bottle...it's a short novel.

havent had this in probably a year and a half, last time was at the KBF in Sept '13, and I was already well lit on Booker's. I may have to revisit it at a bar sometime

BT was my gateway bourbon. I still enjoy it and always have a bottle on hand. I agree that it's a great example of a typical bourbon.

Never had a bad bottle of this and it always struck me as a really good middle of the road classic Bourbon with all the major elements, sweetness, wood and spice, in balance. Over the last few years the local retailer has selected some really special barrels that seem to have those elements amplified and some that really turn up the wood note. Bottles from those selections are just delicious and a bargain in todays market.

I don't know how old BT is but it's probably young enough that there will be plenty of stock going forward, so availability is a plus.

I can't say I have ever noticed an overwhelming hay note as previous posters have mentioned.

I would like to try some of the retailer selected single barrels. I've had several bottles of BT over the years. I think it's ok. I just strongly prefer mash bill #2, and wheated to mash bill #1 (BT mash bill). I would still take regular BT over JB or JD.

This is one bottle I do not have on a regular basis in my collection, I find it ok and can't remember the last time I had a pour of this stuff, but what I do remember about it is that I could drink it. May have to go and get me one and try it again.

I was never too excited about the standard bottling of this, but I've had a good store pick recently. Nice big vanilla.

For the price BT is a very good bourbon. It is one of my favorite, always have a bottle around.

BT for me:

Opening nose is like standing in the pouring room during a distillery tour - all warm sugar/caramel/cinnamon with that musty wood undertone. First sip is like a bite of candy apple - some sweetness coupled with apple pie spice. I get no burn which is no surprise; it's 90 proof, and I usually drink BIBs neat so my tongue's already conditioned/charred.

Harry's absolutely right! BT was one of my first 'real' Bourbons after JB, JD, WT & OGD, and it really opened my eyes. I love the sweetness that comes first, along with the balance of spice and a bit of wood. It's such an easy drinker, at 90-proof, and with little burn when sipped neat, it makes a great summer evening, back yard, lazy day drink. I always have one open, and usually at least one in the bunker. I did have one bottle a couple of years ago that had the barest hint of that grassy note others have commented upon. That one was only slightly less enjoyable and did NOT sour me on the brand. The last several bottles I've had have been fine, even some better than ever, although in fairness they were barrel picks by a local retailer. The first of those from last fall was exemplary, and I bunkered a couple of 1.75's after the first 750. Most of that is gone now, but I don't lament them. They fell in a valiant (& successful) effort to bring me enjoyment.

The first time I had BT several years ago it really impressed me and was certainly a gateway for me, as already stated it was just a great example of bourbon 101. I have always thought of BT as the vanilla bourbon but in the most complimentary way, vanilla notes in a way that was nicely balanced and just a really nice pour. The last bottle I had about 2 yrs ago was less appealing and hasn't been replaced, it seemed the profile had shifted (or my preference had) and I found it less sweet, thinner, just meh.

I have been considering a store pick as the reviews on several of those have been positive and perhaps that last bottle was from the period when they were sorting out whatever was going on with BT. BOTM has got me on the hunt for a solid store pick hopefully showcasing the vanilla again.

I luvs me some BT! It is my favorite daily pour. Although it has been a little hard to find in these parts of late. I usually stock the 1.75L but lately all I have located is the occasional 750. BT is very versatile for me. I enjoy it neat, on the rocks, and in the occasional cocktail. Decent nose, mildly fruity, and with a medium finish on my palate. At the suggestion of another forum member, I have been experimenting with vatting it with Stagg Jr and have had good results.

Like some here I found it to be a gateway or basic bourbon and have not given it much thought lately. This thread has revived an interest and I will go buy a bottle this week and try some this weekend and come back here.

Best regards, Tony

I was late to the BT party, as I'd always mostly drank AAA10, OC10 and ER101 when spending my $$$ on Frankfort distillate. So, when it was introduced, it was easy for me to overlook it. Over time, it gradually peaked my interest when several friends continued to sing its praise.

At this point in my journey, I find it a good example of what a roughly 7 year old 90 proof Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey should taste like. So much so, that I'd list it as my standard example #1 for a new whiskey drinker due to its lack of extremes. Nothing too hot, nothing too cold, just nice and toasty.

So, now I always keep one handy...just in case!

Buffalo Trace was one of the bourbons that I "grew up" on. I really enjoyed it, as it seemed to be a bourbon drinker's affordable bourbon, hitting all the right notes but not going too far in any direction. Unfortunately, I bought a bottle a year or two ago that I did not care for. I think a local place has (or had) a single barrel offering. Maybe I'll check that out soon.

I think BT is one of the most perfect middle of the road bourbons. Perfect balance of sweetness and char. Although it is an easy drinker at 90 proof, it definitely has much more depth than any 80 or 86 proofer I've tried. This was harder to find the past couple of years and I was pleased when our county liquor rep stated we would be getting larger allocations in the future!

BT is a solid pour at what is usually a fair price (although its price has crept up over the past two years in these parts). I can pick it up at a CVS, and I can grab store selects at the local liquor store. I find it to be balanced and have a slightly "dry" finish. It's not a bourbon that I see and think, "Man, I really, really like that stuff," which is what I often think when staring at EC12, OGD114, EWBiB, and FRSB.

BT is a bourbon that garners my respect and patronage. I had one bottle a while back that was a little on the grassy side but have not come across that issue again. For me, BT and Larceny are similar in value and merit. Both are usually in my cabinet on a regular basis. Strangely enough, neither are right now, so I obviously have some work to do.

Friends, Bourbonions, Countrymen, this problem demands a solution.

This was one of my first bourbons. I recently just bought another bottle and also had a fun visit to their distillery. It's not my favorite but it's a very good bourbon and for the price, I don't think you can go wrong.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.