Building Home Bar.....Need your opinion and progress report

johnnybogey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Which would you choose  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose

• Refrigerator with freezer, on the rocks baby
    • Beverage Center, I sometimes like wine too
    • Neither. You need more shelf room for Bourbon

As an alternative to a gap, use a router to create a series of openings in the last 2-3 inches where the heat can escape to improve circulation. Drilling a lot of holes would also probably work. You'd need to be careful not to cover all of them up and remember that they are there for heat so any bottles over them will be warmer than others.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally had some free time this week to continue with my project. I decided to relocate the middle divider to give more clearance for the fridge side to side. So after finishing the trim on the middle counter and doing a dry fit, I realized I didn't install shelves for the smaller cabinet. Doh!!!

For this cabinet, I am thinking about the following two options:

1) slide out drawer to hold glasses, etc...

or

2) Put the shelf closer to the top and make a cutout on the counter (essentially a lid). Easy to open lid for access to glasses inside.

Here is a picture of the current state. FYI, cutting the 45* angles for the trim on my $40 ryobi table saw was a complete failure (yes, I tried calibrating it and lining it up) but still no luck. Not a single corner would line up!!! ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

t8gY8ta.jpg

• 5 months later...

Been a while since I last updated the status of the back bar project. TBH, summer was busy so haven't had a chance to work on it. Well, this week, I fired things up again.

Staining and Ploy. complete. Disappointed that the wood filler I used didn't take the stain well.

The remaining items on the list are:

1) think about getting a TV mount that has a longer arm so that the TV can be centered. I may leave it tilted to the right as shown since we would never be watching from straight on. To be determined.

2) build cabinet door

3) need to find a comfortable lounge chair

4) fill shelves with drink

A picture of the current state.

Ul69Y2N.jpg

Of course, no bar is complete without an Elijah Craig waitstation bar mat. :)

0zhSfFv.jpg

IT'S FINISHED!!!! so excited.

shelved most of the stuff but have a few more to shelve. Will do it gradually, won't want to shock Mrs. Bogey!!! :lol:

All in all, a fun project. By far the most difficult and challenging for me.

Enjoy the pictures!

9YsN2CLl.jpg

e3EKJMtl.jpg

T0nJHtkl.jpg

Beautifully planned, executed, and organized... not to mention filled! You've done well, sir... very well!

Thanks guys!

Beautifully planned, executed, and organized... not to mention filled! You've done well, sir... very well!

Couldn't fill all of it. Still have boxes of open bottles that I need to shelve. Didn't want to shock Mrs. Bogey!!! Figure I will slowly unpack the rest of the stuff, less noticeable. :grin:

Thanks guys!

Couldn't fill all of it. Still have boxes of open bottles that I need to shelve. Didn't want to shock Mrs. Bogey!!! Figure I will slowly unpack the rest of the stuff, less noticeable. :grin:

I've found that when my bar hit a certain saturation point, my wife was less likely to notice a random bottle here and there being added. Mind you, she could be pretending not to notice..... just like I pretend not to notice the new clothes, handbags or shoes that seem to turn up in her wardrobe :skep:

Didn't want to shock Mrs. Bogey!!! Figure I will slowly unpack the rest of the stuff, less noticeable. :grin:

You are wise beyond your years young Skywalker!

You are wise beyond your years young Skywalker!

hahah. Or unpack a bottle each time I polish off one. Must be balance in the universe.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.