What bourbon is best for cooking?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been corresponding with someone who cooks as a serious hobby and uses bourbon in lots of sauces and gravies. We have been talking about what bourbons to use. I don't cook much, so I'm no expert, but I have always subscribed to the theory that you should always use the best ingredients you can afford, so good bourbon would be recommended for the best results. Does anyone have a contrary opinion? Any particular brands that you think cook better than others?

--Chuck Cowdery

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a real good cook but I do enjoy expermenting with different recipies from time to time. I once had a locally respected

wine merchant and amateur gourmet cook tell me to cook with the best and drink the rest. Might also apply to bourbon I suspect.

Theron

"Cook with the best and drink the rest" makes sense to me. By the way, I should have mentioned in the original post that my correspondent and I settled on Old Fitzgerald 1849 for his recipes.

--Chuck Cowdery

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.