Bacon Infused Bourbon

fozzy71
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am going to try this recipe starting tomorrow* hopefully.

I will be using Elijah Craig Small Batch Bourbon and Tyson Natural Applewood Smoked Bacon.

gsmvP30.png

I already had a few glasses of Woodward Ltd tonight but I just poured 2 oz's out of the ECSB to make room for the bacon grease tomorrow.

More pics to follow of the process. I already have a empty bottle of ECSB for the mixing/infusing process and it is one of my fave bourbons, especially at the under $30 price range. I bought a glass decanter from amazon just for this to put the finished product into.

Obligatory pics of my liquor cabinet shelf in it's current state to compare to what it looks like in a week after the infusion process is done....

fJ8fO3B.png

I think I poured my grease into the bourbon a bit too soon/hot as it made some sizzling sounds but mistakes are expected I suppose...

Pics from the process and the salad I threw the bacon into afterwards:

I ended up with 5 slices in the pan which gave me 2 ounces of grease minus what I spilled.

UDbEPlj.png

YgGKLzp.png

Here it is right after I poured it in and shook it around some.

UTsqQNt.png

Here it is after it has cooled and been shaken up a couple times:

jLtLalx.png

The salad ~350 calories

• ~ 2 cups baby leaf spinach
  • ~ 1/2 cup kale
  • 1 cup cauliflower
  • 92g of chopped tomato
  • 2 TBSP of Kraft Fat Free Ranch
  • 5 strips chopped Tyson Applewood Smoked Bacon

IqvTetF.png

Edited by fozzy71
*Copying my posts/quotes I made on a local gunowners forum on 26Feb2015

I tried this once. Not impressed. Waste of good bourbon.

Now take that bacon and put a bourbon/maple syrup glaze on it - then you got something.

I cooled the bourbon in the fridge and then filtered through cheesecloth to get rid of the fat. Still didn't care too much for it.

I did this pretty much the same way you did but with Old Fitz BiB and brought some to the Gazebo once. It wasn't particularly popular, but I did enjoy it in a cocktail or two.

I recently made a cocktail that called for a piece of bacon to be dropped in the glass as a garnish after the cocktail was mixed. It was basically a Manhattan with bacon added - called 'The Dirty South' (recipe from The Silver Dollar in Louisville.) It worked well and I'd definitely make it again. There wasn't an overwhelming bacon taste with the drink, but I did have a kick-ass piece of bacon infused with the cocktail flavor to eat at the end :grin:

I did this w EW black label and found that it was great in a Bacon Maple Old Fashioned. Use the bacon washed bourbon and maple syrup instead of simple syrup. Tasty but prob wouldn't go to the trouble of making the bacon bourbon again.

I also made a batch, and found it to be more like liquid bacon with subtle hints of bourbon (very salty/greasy, despite being chill filtered several times). If you have a cocktail that calls for it, probably worthwhile. Although as long as you're having fun with your bourbon - carry on :cool:

Would not recommend, couldn't even finish a 2oz pour. Too bacony/salty.

Just because something can be done...doesn't mean it should be done.

I picked up some vermouth and bitters to try and drown it in a manhattan....... also picked up a bottle of ec12 today to remember what it is supposed to taste like :D

that's unfortunate that two great things can't come together and make an even greater thing... guess I'll just have to wash down the bacon with some bourbon neat.

I can't comment on a specific preparation, but my experiment with bacon fat infused FRYL in a spicy Bloody Mary with a skewer of cheese, salami and pickled veggies was spectacular. The bourbon and bacon added a rich flavor that complimented the acid tang of tomato and vinegar.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this again finally,... in a manhattan, and promptly dumped out what was left. Waste of a perfectly good ECSB. I got another in the bunker thankfully that I will be cracking open and moving it up my list of next/new buys as well to try and wash this from my memory.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol! I did this once and I still can't decide if it's good or awful. It's laying around somewhere in my house... probably should throw it out.

• 9 months later...

I just did this with EW BiB. It turned out fantastic. Maybe it has to do with what bourbon, bacon is used as well as infusion time. In mine you get bacon front loaded and then a nice EW BiB finish.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am 90% sure my error was using a plastic measuring cup for the hot grease (which caused it to melt) instead of glass pyrex.  I won't be doing this again now that I am a vegetarian.

3 hours ago, fozzy71 said:

I am 90% sure my error was using a plastic measuring cup for the hot grease (which caused it to melt) instead of glass pyrex.  I won't be doing this again now that I am a vegetarian.

Bacon is MEAT??  Who'd a thought . . .

BTW, long time no read.  Good to see your posts.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
welcome back Fozz even if he don't eat meat.

I had a cocktail in Glasgow that used bacon infused bourbon, and it was delicious.  Thinking I might try this again, but using a LOT less bacon than the last time around.  The cocktail didn't scream bourbon by any means, but it also wasn't like drinking bacon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.