Dad's Hat has hit Chicago

shoshani
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

post-8-1448982211294_thumb.png

Picked this up at Binny's. $45, or basically a dollar per percentage point of alcohol by volume.

It's not quite there yet but it's pretty damn good, and I think it shows a lot of promise. The only thing that's missing is a decent finish, it really doesn't have much of a finish at all. It's young - the label says aged over 6 months, the website says they use small barrels. If they ever get to where they can age this for 2-4 years in standard 53 gallon barrels, I think they're going to have something outstanding on their hands.

It reminds me of the Sazerac profile (Baby Saz and CEHT Rye at any rate), probably because there's no corn in its mashbill. Rye and barley, but it doesn't have the minty notes that MGP rye has.

It reminds me of the Sazerac profile (Baby Saz and CEHT Rye at any rate), probably because there's no corn in its mashbill. Rye and barley, but it doesn't have the minty notes that MGP rye has.

Might be worth noting the mashbill of the Sazerac rye line (Baby Saz, Handy, which is essentially selected barrels of barrel proof Baby Saz, and at some point in the near future Saz 18, if it isn't being blended in already!) and the CEHT Rye line are reportedly very different. Baby Saz is a "barely rye" rye at 51% or so while CEHT rye is thought to be more like 90% rye (although to my knowledge Sazerac hasn't shared any confirmed details on the mashbill).

I find them to be fairly different in taste and even texture which I suppose is in part from the difference in corn content.

Wait until they start releasing their 2 year old rye to the public outside PA. I had a sample last evening at a local bar and it was one of the best whiskies I've ever had. I have 2 bottles on special order for our "State Stores." I can't wait for them to arrive!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the kind words. We are going to keep trying to make it better and better. We had a limited release of one barrel of Straight Rye. We are shooting for a wider release of Straight Rye in the fall - it will be over 3 years old. It will depend on how much we like it. DHR

FWIW, a place here in WashDC features DHR in its Manhattans along with its (obscenely expensive but oh so excellent) loin tip burgers. I was pleased but surprised to find out DHR - considering the age - tasted a lot older in the Manhattan. In BOTH of them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.