EH Taylor Cured Oak

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Talked to the GA Sazerac Rep on Thursday, was told there's a total of 50 bottles allocated for GA. Going to be around $70. I'm going to get one if any way possible and going to look for additional ones when I head up to KY Easter Weekend. I've enjoyed every EHT I've ever purchased (missed out on sour mash and Tornado) and would like to try a 17 YO expression

Talked to the GA Sazerac Rep on Thursday, was told there's a total of 50 bottles allocated for GA. Going to be around $70. I'm going to get one if any way possible and going to look for additional ones when I head up to KY Easter Weekend. I've enjoyed every EHT I've ever purchased (missed out on sour mash and Tornado) and would like to try a 17 YO expression

You aren't missing anything with tornado. It sat on shelves a long time for a reason. It was ok but not that much different from buff trace. The sour mash was not universally loved although I kind of liked it. Seems to me that those items are valued more as "collectors items". That said I'd buy one of these for $70 because I wanna try it and I'm not that smart ?

50 bottles for the whole state! There are more than 50 Ga members on this site alone.

50 bottles for the whole state! There are more than 50 Ga members on this site alone.

Definitely wont make it down to Columbus.

Damn. That means probably 20 or less for MO. I'd have a better shot at winning a Pappy lottery, especially if flippers catch word.

I had a bottle of the BTEC extended drting time and it was one of my more enjoyable pours last year. still gonna be excited about this and hope though.

where did you get that info? pretty disappointing if true

You aren't missing anything with tornado. It sat on shelves a long time for a reason. It was ok but not that much different from buff trace. The sour mash was not universally loved although I kind of liked it. Seems to me that those items are valued more as "collectors items". That said I'd buy one of these for $70 because I wanna try it and I'm not that smart [emoji1]

I have to disagree - to me the tornado was the best best one of the bunch. The other expressions have been uninspiring to my taste

I found it hard to believe myself, but he swore that was the case. Since it's going to be near impossible to find down here, I'm going to hit a couple of KY stores on my way up Easter Weekend and keeping my fingers crossed. If I wasn't a big fan of EHT, I wouldn't even bother. But I really liked the single barrel and the BP....

where did you get that info? pretty disappointing if true

I am the GM of a local package store and got this information directly from the regional Sazerac Rep. I asked while I was on the phone with him trying to get a firm date of delivery of a store select barrels of OWA and Buffalo Trace we have coming. I've know him for several years and he's always been straight with me.

I picked up 2 bottles and immediately opened one to give it a try, since I left 3 on the shelf and thought I would go back for more if I liked it...

You immediately notice the color. It has a very dark reddish-copper color. The nose has tons of sweet vanilla and oak, emphasis on the sweet. The taste was sweet and creamy with vanilla and oak, a slight cinnamon kick, and something fruity. The only thing I could think of for the fruity taste was orange peel.

I was impressed. I really enjoyed it. So, I went back today around noon... and the bottles were gone.

Not surprising. After the one bottle I had of 129 proof EHTBP disappeared I swore I'd immediately buy whatever came next because it's delicious and reasonably available. Not sure about the available part now.

No, I wasn't surprised at all. In fact, I kind of expected it. I thought they would be gone, but if they weren't, it was a bonus.

For those that have had this, how does it compare to ER17? I'm sure the slight bump in proof helps it a bit, but I was wondering if the extended seasoning for the staves really makes a big difference. I missed the BTEC that did this so I'm curious to see. I've never been a big fan of ER17, so if the Cured Oak is similar I won't put too much effort in getting a bottle.

Since I'm going to be in KY next weekend, thought I'd call some of my old stores to see if any of it had come in yet. According to everyone I talked to, it hasn't arrive in Luavull yet...and that included Liquor Barn and the rest of the "big boys". If they had any, I'd have paid for it with a credit card and picked it up next week. So the search goes on.

So I was lucky enough to purchase a bottle last night. Tried it and went got two more bottles. Here are my thoughts. Aroma: Big vanilla aroma, orange, and a spicy wood presence. Palate: Sweet vanilla, subtle orange cream notes, and sweet woodsy spice that is truly enjoyable. Flavors are big, but seem very balanced. Mouthfeel is very silky and enjoyable. At the proof, it provides a nice amount kick. But be careful, because it goes down smooth enough to keep hacking away at the bottle.

So I was lucky enough to purchase a bottle last night. Tried it and went got two more bottles. Here are my thoughts. Aroma: Big vanilla aroma, orange, and a spicy wood presence. Palate: Sweet vanilla, subtle orange cream notes, and sweet woodsy spice that is truly enjoyable. Flavors are big, but seem very balanced. Mouthfeel is very silky and enjoyable. At the proof, it provides a nice amount kick. But be careful, because it goes down smooth enough to keep hacking away at the bottle.

Thanks for sharing your tasting notes.

I called a few places by me today (NY) and looks like it still hasn't made it to the state. I believe NJ received their share though.

Word here in Virginia is that our state (ABC controlled) got 15 cases. They went fast!! None were left/available after a few days earlier this week. I managed to get a case, and gave a few to buddies here. I must say, I'm an EHT fan, but this one was bold and different. Very tasty. And the wooden box was pretty cool to get too :) I'll either save the extra bottles for my collection, or trade one off. Well worth the $68/ea...

And Mardbrown, I loved your taste review. Excellent.. My palate is still developing, so I'm not the best at reviews. :) I had a hardywood earlier, so my tastes are off a bit anyway :)

Edited by jtlcville

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.