Blood Oath

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I hate putting this in the premium section, but so be it. It's officially a race to the bottom; consumers will buy anything. I guess if anyone is too lazy to vat up OGD114, MM, and EC12, you can pay $90 for Luxco to do it for you...

http://www.bourbonbanter.com/bourbon-banter/blood-oath-bourbon-announced-luxco/

"This product is an exquisite union of three well-bred bourbons with various age statements and mash bills. The first, a spicy bourbon with a mash bill favoring rye, barrel aged for a subtle woodiness. The second is a smooth, wheated bourbon and the third is a full-bodied, more experienced, oaky bourbon with a rye-based mash. Each of these complement the other and none overpower the palate, creating an amazing bourbon.â€

Yea, the label looks like the Orphans. Companies are copying Diageo with respect to bourbon. That's where we are now...

Am I missing the part where anybody could buy (at retail) one bottle of each of the brands Luxco is using to make up it's 'Blood Oath', and therefor have 3-bottles, after mixing 'em, that together will cost less than Luxco is asking for one of this new brand????? Not too hard to see the reason for the venture, at least from Luxco's point of view. A little more difficult to see where a consumer with any sense whatsoever would want to buy it, though.

Am I missing the part where anybody could buy (at retail) one bottle of each of the brands Luxco is using to make up it's 'Blood Oath', and therefor have 3-bottles, after mixing 'em, that together will cost less than Luxco is asking for one of this new brand????? Not too hard to see the reason for the venture, at least from Luxco's point of view. A little more difficult to see where a consumer with any sense whatsoever would want to buy it, though.

Well, we are making some assumptions about which "brands" make up the blend, and we don't know in what proportion, so I suppose that's the proprietary value that they're trying to exploit here. I'm not interested in this one, though. It is clever from a marketing standpoint, but I can't help thinking of some of the KBD brands that are less than half the price and more or less the same idea.

To those of you that buy a bottle of this enjoy! :toast:

As for I'll just read the posts. :bs:

Given the stated age range of 6-12 years for the three bourbons in the mix, and the descriptions, I think dcbt's predictions are pretty darn good. I might substitute Larceny for MM since I don't think MM has any extra to be selling to a NDP whereas HH is a known source for NDP's. Either way, I'd rather experiment on my own to determine if this mixture has any promise. I don't need the "privilege" of having Luxco do it for me while charging more than a BTAC bottle for it.

It's like companies are just relying on the hipster business name generator now to pick their new bourbon label...

Thanks for sharing this, but like the others, this is an easy pass at $90. It'd be an easy pass for me at $50 too.

Luxco wants to drive innovation in the bourbon industry. I prefer "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in this case. Lets let those who have been making good bourbon keep making good bourbon and leave the fancy package out of it.

"Luxco Launches New, Hand-Bottled Bourbon" Personally, I love hand bottled bourbons. I find hand bottled bourbons to be much more nuanced than their machine bottled brethren. The machine bottling process tends to bruise a bourbon overriding some of the more complex flavor profiles. In fact, in a SBS, I can pick up a slight hint of latex. :lol:

"Luxco Launches New, Hand-Bottled Bourbon" Personally, I love hand bottled bourbons. I find hand bottled bourbons to be much more nuanced than their machine bottled brethren. The machine bottling process tends to bruise a bourbon overriding some of the more complex flavor profiles. In fact, in a SBS, I can pick up a slight hint of latex. :lol:

Maybe Luxco had an old 4-bottle, manually operated filler that many smaller outfits (and even A. Smith Bowman of VaG fame) still use and decided to put it back to work. That would allow them to avoid the Tito vodka-type lawsuit alleging false advertising. I'm still mystified at the price they think they want to charge unless that wooden box and its excelsior are hand-made from imported logs.

• 1 month later...

So no one fell for it? It's all over several stores in Texas and doesn't seem to be moving fast...

I keep refreshing the "Bourbons You Passed On" thread hoping to see it there, but alas, no luck.

Finally saw this in a store today. Decided to check out a few reviews - didn't find many, but they seemed to be of the "this is pretty good but not worth the price" variety. The bottle is gorgeous though. I passed.

Maybe Luxco had an old 4-bottle, manually operated filler that many smaller outfits (and even A. Smith Bowman of VaG fame) still use and decided to put it back to work. That would allow them to avoid the Tito vodka-type lawsuit alleging false advertising. I'm still mystified at the price they think they want to charge unless that wooden box and its excelsior are hand-made from imported logs.

Admit it - you have been dying to use the word excelsior :)

Admit it - you have been dying to use the word excelsior :)

We can ALWAYS count on Harry for excellent word choices. Not only does he have excellent taste in whiskey (and a large trunk in which to store it) he's also highly literate.

I'm only teasing him because I'm jealous he got to use it before me.

I picked up a bottle yesterday for $72. Since I get a free Glencairn etched glass for registering my bottle the price feels a little better. I really like some of the marriage bottles like the annual 4RSmBLE, so I thought it was worth a try.

Strong medicinal smell upon opening, but went away after ten minutes of being open. I did get a number of contrasting notes and complexity without a heavy alcohol burn at only 98.6 proof. I can taste the spicy rye but also sweeter bourbon under tones with vanilla, caramel and chocolate. The more I let it rest the more enjoyable I find it. I enjoy the contrasting tastes and complexity.

I have no issues with whiskies like this as long as they don't pretend to be distilling it. Is it worth $70+ with a free glass. Maybe not, but I like the adventure of trying new whiskey's when I can.

A friend of mine bought a bottle for around $80. He said it was actually quite good, enjoyable. Not worth $80, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.