What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened the WRR. First pour seemed a little bland to me, this second one appears to be opening up. This calls for more work.

A bit of an overpour (jumbo size:shocked:) of Dickel in my glass. Thank God it wasn't a barrel proofer, 'cause I have no choice but to finish it!

Whistlepig store select single barrel. I had a pour of the standard bottling the other night, which was solid as always, but polished off the bottle so couldn't do a SBS. This store select single barrel was quite good, and did taste different from what I recall. All good though--still a fan of WP.

I have a bottle of Punt e Mes I'm trying to use up so for the past couple of days I've been doing a Manhattan-off of sorts. Now playing with bitters (Fee's barrel-aged, orange, cherry, chocolate, and grapefruit) to see which trips my trigger. All with Bulleit rye so far because it's cheap and plentiful. When I have a bitters combo I think I like, I'll switch around whiskies (Bulleit, Baby Saz, Ritt, HW Double Rye, and maybe something like FRSiB). If I can kill the PeM before I lose interest in all this , then I'll maybe grab Antica, Vya, and/or Dolin and finish the machinations. So the answer is enough Bulleit rye tonight to type this long post ;) ...

Ritt/WP blend 'cause, I just couldn't resist.

How is it tonight? I haven't cracked my recent blend just yet but my experiments that led me to commit to the larger volume blend were fantastic.

How is it tonight? I haven't cracked my recent blend just yet but my experiments that led me to commit to the larger volume blend were fantastic.

For me, it makes two very good rye's even better. Just a lovely, easy drinking pour... with a great nose!

For me, it makes two very good rye's even better. Just a lovely, easy drinking pour... with a great nose!

That was my experience with my experiments. I'll report back soon with a report on a well mingled larger batch.

Jefferson's 10 yr. Lordy is this good stuff!

I have a bottle just waiting to be opened. But, not tonight! :cool:

I'm having a large pour of Rittenhouse. Although I've been limiting myself to one pour most nights, I've noticed a trend in that I'm now pouring no less than three fingers at a time. Maybe a smaller glass is in order.:shocked:

I'm having a large pour of Rittenhouse. Although I've been limiting myself to one pour most nights, I've noticed a trend in that I'm now pouring no less than three fingers at a time. Maybe a smaller glass is in order.:shocked:

I almost bought a bottle of this today as I hadn't seen it before and have been venturing out from bourbon into Rye a bit now but ended up with a bottle of Templeton instead at the suggestion of the store clerk. I am probably going to crack it later tonight when I am done working.

I almost bought a bottle of this today as I hadn't seen it before and have been venturing out from bourbon into Rye a bit now but ended up with a bottle of Templeton instead at the suggestion of the store clerk. I am probably going to crack it later tonight when I am done working.

IMHO that was a big mistake. Don't mean to offend but Templeton is just an overpriced, low proof, NDP bottling.

No offense taken. I am new to bourbon, and even newer to rye, so I don't even know what NDP (guessing something to do with Indiana?) stands for or means yet and just having fun learning and trying all the different brands/bottles I run into.

Any thoughts on redemption? I was eyeing that too.

No offense taken. I am new to bourbon, and even newer to rye, so I don't even know what NDP (guessing something to do with Indiana?) stands for or means yet and just having fun learning and trying all the different brands/bottles I run into.

Any thoughts on redemption? I was eyeing that too.

NDP = Non Distiller Producer. It usually does have something to do with Indiana since the distillery called MGPI, located there, provides most of the whiskey to NDP's including Templeton.

It's good whiskey, but we tend to get irritated when folks like those at Templeton make up a fake history story about their brand and do their best to convince you they distilled it. They usually charge a higher price for it too.

Finished off a bottle of JEP1776 last night (I do love me some good Indiana rye) and have two - three pours left in my first bottle of MWND so I expect tonight it will get finished off as well.

Great minds - we killed the last few pours in mine last night as well! I learned that while I really love that whiskey, I shouldn't waste it with a cigar (at least for me, the smoke just overwhelmed everything I love about it).
Yeah, its not one I'd expect to hold up in the presence of smoke. Regardless, it was a great bottle, start to finish. Hopefully this year's releases is as good, and as widespread. I've come to dread the fall release schedule, but not for this one. This one was easily available for well over a month or two, 'round these parts. And as I've said, I love the play this is riffing, and the label is among my favorites of any whiskey. Just all around a fun whiskey. It really blew past my cynicism about American whiskey lately, and reminded me of why I love it. It'll be replaced with a Bernheim wheat, which is another one I love and don't have to think too hard about when drinking.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!