What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As for me, I'm three fingers in on a pour of Dickelized (charcoal mellowed) MGP swamp rye. Right in my wheelhouse. :grin:

Almost grabbed a bottle of this today, will go back for it soon (it's at the top of my list but got a couple ryes in the bunker) and hope it's still there. I started the night with a taste of temptation (i know, i know) ......

Yes, it is good as well as too damn expensive. I think WTRR is a good alternative, as it brings the similar musty barnyard experience for a little less change.

As for me, I'm three fingers in on a pour of Dickelized (charcoal mellowed) MGP swamp rye. Right in my wheelhouse. :grin:

That is some solid advice. I've only had the Russel's Rye once in a bar (it's 6yrs old if I recall) and it was pretty good. That will be my target when the CEHT runs dry.

Nice call on the Dickel. Another good one.

i guess it has more to do with it being barrel proof than anything else. Most whiskies, to me at least, seem to be richer/more complex/more enjoyable as the proof goes up.

For example, if I dint know better, Id tell someone they were full of s#^t if they told me JBB and Booker's were the same things at different proofs/selection.

Ive not had any SAOS that wasnt barrel proof, as Ive so thoroughly enjoyed the barrel proofers that Ive just stuck with them. I dont care to test the inverse of my idea........

I certainly agree that barrel proofers are generally richer and more complex than their proofed down versions, however I've also had some of the Willett barrel proof ryes (which is LDI) and those seem to stick closer to the typical LDI profile. I haven't had one of their 8yr's yet, so my comparison is not apples to apples.

Finishing off the night with a half pour of Willett 6yr rye. Mmmmman that's good stuff. Worth the $65 to me.

I've been going back and forth between WP and Ritt that past couple of days. Working on a couple of fingers worth of DSP 1 Ritt at the moment. Very nice!

Knob Creek Rye. Not the most complex but a little different than the typical LDI. I know Beam has only one rye mashbill, but having not tried Old Overholt or JB Rye, I have always wonder how they compare. Typical price is in the upper $30s. I found this one in the mid-$20s so I bought one.

Knob Creek Rye. Not the most complex but a little different than the typical LDI. I know Beam has only one rye mashbill, but having not tried Old Overholt or JB Rye, I have always wonder how they compare. Typical price is in the upper $30s. I found this one in the mid-$20s so I bought one.

I like that KC Rye, Broo. I have a couple of slots that I put

the different ryes in. The KC goes into the "spicy punch me in the nose" slot, along with WT Rye. The extra proof and age puts it at a much higher enjoyment level as compared to the other Beam ryes, for me.

In another slot, tonight, I am again digging on my favorite rye, TH Handy. It's herbaceous and smothered with gooey baking spices. Hugely thick and chewy, and I absolutely love this whiskey. Perfect on this cool and damp evening.

I've been on a rye kick most of the week and have been enjoying the change of pace. I never know when these kicks are going to happen, and when they do, they can last for a week or more. The past two nights, I've been becoming friends with the WT101 Rye for the very first time. It's not readily available in our market but there is one store around here that tries to get in some of the whiskies that the big box stores overlook. I don't get to that store very often so I bought this bottle last summer sometime and stashed it one of my satellite bunkers and forgot about it. The current rye kick got me thinking about it so I dug it out and put it on the "on deck but I can still go to it if I really want to" shelf.

First impressions: dang! this is really good. Again, a nice departure from the LDI ryes. Not as much mint and dill. Heck, there's less mint than I get from some of the 4R bourbons. There is a good spicy rye kick paired with some candy sweetness that tickles the taste buds in the right spots.

I've only had two pours of this so far so more are needed (tough job) to confirm if this is the consistent experience I'll get from it. If it holds up to the standard of the first two pours I can see it being a regular in the rotation.

Now......before some of you old timers rake me over the coals.....I've never had the old Turkey rye so I have nothing to compare this to.

On a side note, can anyone tell me how similar or different this one is from the RR6yr rye?

Writer's block seems to be getting the best of me, so I decided to pour a little Rittenhouse Rye in my coffee. Took a wee nip of it before dumping it in, and it tasted great. Definition of a staple whiskey right there: tastes great by itself, yet I feel zero guilt fortifying my coffee with it due to the fact that it's cheap and easy to find.

On a side note, can anyone tell me how similar or different this one is from the RR6yr rye?

Very similar... same mashbill, plus two years of age on the RR (although it is giving up proof points). RR is the more refined/balanced of the two. Both good solid rye's!

I'm still :frown:waiting for the WTRR barrel proof rye!

Very similar... same mashbill, plus two years of age on the RR (although it is giving up proof points). RR is the more refined/balanced of the two. Both good solid rye's!

I'm still :frown:waiting for the WTRR barrel proof rye!

Thanks Paddy. RR rye sounds like one to be on the acquisition list. Based on what I've tasted thus far, I fully support your demands for barrel proof rye!

Tonight, I'm following Joe's lead with a thick tasty pour of THH '14. Handy was my first rye and remains my favorite.

Enjoying a pour of a Willett mingle (includes 4yr - 25yr WFE Ryes). No idea of the ratios as this is the conglomeration of "test mingles" I had done a couple of years back, but it is delicious!

I've been pouring WP, Ritt, Rittlepig blend and Dickel all week.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm done with MGP rye other than Dickel (with the exception of my bunker:grin:), as it consistently serves me very well, is readily available, and is fairly priced.

I've been pouring WP, Ritt, Rittlepig blend and Dickel all week.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm done with MGP rye other than Dickel (with the exception of my bunker:grin:), as it consistently serves me very well, is readily available, and is fairly priced.

Thanks for that. Ryes are slim pickings up here, and I have a bottle of Dickel (and Ritt and Alberta) in the on deck shelf to try, so I will have to try and bunker more of it if/when I can find more.

Edited by fozzy71

Having another taste of the Store Select Barrel Proof Whistle Pig from World Beverage in Duluth. It is totally unlike the 10/100 WP. I've got a bottle of the Old World Madeira finished 12 YO (sourced from MGP). Had some at the tasting and from a friend and loved it. But holding off on cracking open yet another bottle until I get my opens down to a manageable level.

When in Rome...Templeton. While I am in Iowa, and it's kind of from here.....

Cut me a break, it's the best I can do while at the in laws.......

Hitting the old honey hole tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Beam green label rye. Not as dry as KC rye IMO. Lots of pine in the nose, and it carries over to the palate. The trademark Beam yeast flavor is present and accounted for, with a slight bit of the grassy notes found in OGDBIB.

I find it complex enough to be interesting, and cheap enough to be a staple. I prefer it over Rittenhouse, which is a very pedestrian rye to me. Nothing stands out in RH except the heat. While some may call it well balanced, I just find it boring.

I will try the Dickel Rye because I really like Dickel 12, but I think the Bulleit Rye is a good all around rye.

I will try the Dickel Rye because I really like Dickel 12, but I think the Bulleit Rye is a good all around rye.

I really liked bulleit, and got another in the bunker, but think it's about time to crack my dickel I have on deck

I really liked bulleit, and got another in the bunker, but think it's about time to crack my dickel I have on deck

I'm curious why you are bunkering so many readily available, midrange bottles. Perhaps leave a little room for growth in income and growth in taste?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!