What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm curious why you are bunkering so many readily available, midrange bottles. Perhaps leave a little room for growth in income and growth in taste?

No reason other than I am fairly new to this and have been on a bit of a spending spree that I am trying to get under control. Thanks for the reminder.

I will try the Dickel Rye because I really like Dickel 12, but I think the Bulleit Rye is a good all around rye.

The two are identical as far as I'm able to tell.

A thoughtful dinner guest last night brought along a Baby Saz for me, knowing that I don't really care for wine. While I don't necessarily agree with the selection process (fancy bottle), it's hard to argue with the results. A little sip neat, and a very good manhattan...Have to have them over for dinner more often...

I'm fairly new to whiskey & cocktails, so I haven't tried much, but I like it more than the Ritt I currently have open. The Ritt has a wine-y sort of taste for me that I'm finding hard to work with. The Baby Saz is drier with a touch more spice. I'll have to taste them side-by-side to confirm this opinion. Wish I'd set aside a little Bulliet (the first bottle I tried, before the Ritt) so I could compare them all...

Another great bottle of 8 yr SAOS barrel strength. I bought several of these when Eric had them in stock and they do not disappoint!

Ritenhouse 100 BIB after a couple different vattings, 1 of which was OGD114 + Ritt, think I liked the vattings better,...........

Tried chasing the end of this cold last night with some Willett rye mingle. Didn't get either job done, so will wait a few more days before diving back in :(

HW MWND Act 2.7. My first impressions of this was - a stinky gym bag. After several months open, the stinky gym bag aroma is gone and I finally see what everyone likes. Am I the only one that caught that off aroma?

HW MWND Act 2.7. My first impressions of this was - a stinky gym bag. After several months open, the stinky gym bag aroma is gone and I finally see what everyone likes. Am I the only one that caught that off aroma?

I've not had Act 2.7, but have had a number of others. I haven't detected anything close to what you describe.

^^A bad cork can turn a wine bad. Can the same thing happen with whiskey? I realize that it blew off with time, but the whiskey itself is stable, no?

^^A bad cork can turn a wine bad. Can the same thing happen with whiskey? I realize that it blew off with time, but the whiskey itself is stable, no?

I suppose. Just saying I've never got the "stinky gym bag" thing that you did. If you had specified possible cork taint at first, I might have commented on that.

I've not had Act 2.7, but have had a number of others. I haven't detected anything close to what you describe.
I got PORTPORTPORTPORTPORTPORTPORTPORTPORTPORTPORTPORTPORT and minty MGP rye from act 2.2.

It was standing when I bought it and has been standing ever since. Looking at it now, the stain on the cork is pretty far up, but who looks for that when you buy a bottle?

Yes, bourbon corks can be tainted and defective. I once returned a PVW to the store because the cork had a smell like wine cork taint and affected the taste of the bourbon. The clerk had a look of disbelief when I told him. He called the manager. The manager, with the same look of disbelief, pulled the cork and smelled it. Without a word he handed me a cash refund.

A tainted cork can have that stale gym smell or the smell of moldy, wet paper.

Edited by Madhatter

The stinky gym bag thing is funny. I got just that out of a bottle of Knappogue Castle 17 single malt. Funny thing is, it went away after about an hour of sitting open.

Last pour from a BMH 18yr Rye. Shouldn't have started with this, as it will be all downhill the rest of the evening

Continuing my recent KC revisit with a little of the rye over the past few evenings. I'm enjoying the subtle interplay of this easy drinker...

I saw a reference to a rye and ginger in another thread (thanks for the suggestion!), and decided it was perfect compensation for the yard work I just did.

I saw a reference to a rye and ginger in another thread (thanks for the suggestion!), and decided it was perfect compensation for the yard work I just did.

I try to reward myself daily, just for still being here. If find that ginger and rye (i.e. my AE rye descriptor) always play well together.

For me, about three fingers of KC in my glass.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!