What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having some EHTRye tonight. I haven't bought a bottle of this in about a year, and I don't know why because this is some good rye.

Having some EHTRye tonight. I haven't bought a bottle of this in about a year, and I don't know why because this is some good rye.

I'm with you on that, LCW. Which, has got me to asking...Is not the EHT Rye the biggest enigma in American whiskey right now?

I'm with you on that, LCW. Which, has got me to asking...Is not the EHT Rye the biggest enigma in American whiskey right now?

Joe, I'm not sure what you mean. Would you mind elaborating?

Will it show up in the replacement for VWFRR when the current tanked stock is gone, perhaps as a blend with the Sazerac rye mashbill?

Joe, I'm not sure what you mean. Would you mind elaborating?

To me it is something of an oddity for BT/Sazerac because apparently they created a new rye mashbill (which had to be done some 10 years ago) for apparently to this point just the CEHT line.

Except for the 3 one offs in the CEHT line (one of which was just standard mashbill with a bit of excessive weather exposure!) and their various "experimental" whiskies which are typically small runs at best there hasn't been a new mashbill at BT in quite some time has there? There has been BT#1, BT#2 and Sazerac rye which is what every BT/Sazerac/BTAC/Pappy (that isn't tanked) whiskey comes from until the appearance of this new rye mashbill which seems to have come out of nowhere.

Is there another purpose for this new rye mashbill or is it just for the CEHT line? Will it show up in the replacement for VWFRR when the current tanked stock is gone, perhaps as a blend with the Sazerac rye mashbill?

Most curious indeed.

You could be right. I don't know of anything else out there right now that taste like this rye. It's so easy to drink and it has a very good proof. It could easily be the biggest hidden whiskey gem right now. I know that some people will say it's to expensive (and that's fine), but the bottom line is this is some fine rye and while it's here I'm going to enjoy it. Only time will tell what's in store for the future of EHT Rye.

And I'm having some EHT Rye tonight.

This is my theory. Probably can't get the VWFRR profile with just the Saz mashbill.

My guess( and of course that's all it is) CEHT Rye was created to replace the VWFFR after it was tanked and they could control how long it would last. Just waiting for it age 13 plus yrs. They already had the Baby Saz/Handy rye and knew that would replace the Saz 18 when it got old enough. So "BT Rye#1" will be Baby Saz and THH at younger age and Saz18. BT Rye#2 will be CEHT at a younger age and VWFRR at 13+. Call this " Dusty's Theory of Ryetivity".

How old do you guys estimate the oldest BT Rye #1 actually is at present?

The word is that this is the last year for the tanked Saz18, so my deductive powers say at least 17 and ready for Fall '16 bottling. Chuck and others plugged in to the industry would have a better idea of course. I'm just trying to connect dots over here.

Found a few bottles of Baby Saz in the bunker and have been enjoying one of them the last couple of nights. Still amazes me that this rye has such a great flavor profile.

The word is that this is the last year for the tanked Saz18, so my deductive powers say at least 17 and ready for Fall '16 bottling. Chuck and others plugged in to the industry would have a better idea of course. I'm just trying to connect dots over here.

I hadn't heard (or at least had forgotten) that word. That's probably really good news in the sense that the non-tanked should be more plentiful and lead to bigger allocations, which we could certainly do with.

I've enjoyed all of BTs ryes up to this point.

The discussion about CEHT rye being the new VWFRR makes sense to me. In a March premium rye flight at Proof On Main, my fave was the VWFRR, but a close second was the CEHT. It certainly had a lot of the same stuff going on. Not everything, but certainly special.

I don't guzzle them at $70. But I do have them.

Change is good... right? For the most part, I've been on the bourbon train for the past few weeks and felt that it was time for a little change up. :skep:

So tonight, I opened up with a great pour of the 'Knob' then went back to the well for two finger of the Rittlepig.

Wow... just wow! So glad I did! :grin:

I am thinking if I have another pour tonight it will be either my chilled Ritt or the the chilled Templeton bastard vatting I have in the fridge.

Having a little SAOS 7yr rye tonight. Really hitting the spot. I think this is the best MGP rye I've had.

Having a little SAOS 7yr rye tonight. Really hitting the spot. I think this is the best MGP rye I've had.

You have inspired me. I have a pour and a half left in the Baby Saz bottle and after that I'm opening a SAOS 7yr rye.

I hadn't heard (or at least had forgotten) that word. That's probably really good news in the sense that the non-tanked should be more plentiful and lead to bigger allocations, which we could certainly do with.

I've enjoyed all of BTs ryes up to this point.

The discussion about CEHT rye being the new VWFRR makes sense to me. In a March premium rye flight at Proof On Main, my fave was the VWFRR, but a close second was the CEHT. It certainly had a lot of the same stuff going on. Not everything, but certainly special.

I don't guzzle them at $70. But I do have them.

I was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that Medley rye and COK rye were both more typical Kentucky style "low rye" ryes. If so the CEHT rye seems a bit different. But I think at one time BT owned the name for Cream of Kentucky from back in the Schenley days and so perhaps knows the original mashbill and made the CEHT rye to be the same or similar. If The Sazerac rye mashbill is similar to the old Medley rye then a blend of the two seems like a good way to approximate VWFRR going forward.

Somebody here knows the history far better than I and can perhaps clean my musings up!

Bruce, nobody seems to have confirmation but the CEHT is believed to be two grain(no corn). I would be shocked if the CoK was anything but a low rye/corn/barley mashbill. So perhaps the blending theory for the new VWR makes sense. Anyway this discussion requires too much thinking and speculation so I'm going to do something requiring neither-pour a drink!

This evening a good pour of Willett 4 Yr Rye. Sipped a bit, then made the rest into a Sazerac.

Kicked off the weekend with Baby Saz, JEP1776, and then SAOS 7yr rye. While I enjoy all three the SAOS kicked some arse and led to multiple pours and my sleeping in a little late this AM

I've been having a few fingers of KC the last couple of evenings. Followed it up with a couple/three fingers of Rittlepig tonight. Wish the WP component of the RP was a little easier on the pocketbook. :P

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!