What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nice pour of a local pick SAOS 8yr. Love that warm, orange marmalade finish :yum:

Had a single of Alberta springs for dinner. Should had a double.

Went well with the smoked pork chop.

B

Enjoyed several pours of SAOS rye while grilling a bone in ham on the Weber yesterday. Of course the glaze had a OGDBIB base.

A glass of KC rye with a ice ball poured by my neighbor and enjoyed with a cigar. KC rye never disappoints me.

Last night, I opened my first bottle of High West Double Rye. I had picked up four of them a few weeks back at a deal of six bottles, from a Von's. They cost me $27 ea., a very fair price. Had a nice first pour, neat and was amazed at how Rye forward it is, very heavy, rich mouthfeel. Lots of Rye comes at you, from all directions, even on the finish. So far, I am really liking it. I try again in a week or two and see if opening it and letting it sit, for a while, mellows it down a bit. If your a fan of Rye, you should try this.

In an effort to tame the heavy Rye Hit from the High West Double Rye, I put together a 60/40 one drink blend of 60% H.W. Double Rye & 40% Bulleit Rye, which turns out to be about 95.2 Proof. WOW! this is a very good blend. I may have to mix up a healthy batch of this.

In an effort to tame the heavy Rye Hit from the High West Double Rye, I put together a 60/40 one drink blend of 60% H.W. Double Rye & 40% Bulleit Rye, which turns out to be about 95.2 Proof. WOW! this is a very good blend. I may have to mix up a healthy batch of this.

Glad you liked it but not sure how that helps the "rye hit" as you basically added even more rye content to the already high rye percentage in the bottle. Maybe the presumably slightly older Bulleit helped to tame the young 2yo MGP rye that likely makes up a majority of this whiskey.

Glad you liked it but not sure how that helps the "rye hit" as you basically added even more rye content to the already high rye percentage in the bottle. Maybe the presumably slightly older Bulleit helped to tame the young 2yo MGP rye that likely makes up a majority of this whiskey.

Yes, my idea was to tame the excessive Rye of The H.W. Double Rye, just a tad and it seemed to work out very well. Oh Ya!, there is still plenty of Rye but a bit tamer than The H.W. Double Rye on it's own. I just opened my first bottle of the Double Rye a day or two ago. So far, I find it to be a bit extreme by itself. I have four bottles of it, due to a sale I happened on. I am going to try a similar mix using Rittenhouse in place of the Bulleit.

Opened a Baby Saz retrieved from the bunker. An amazing rye and as my first introduction to rye it is still my favorite.

Bulleit old fashioned to start the weekend. It went down very quickly due in part to the generous amount of ice in it.

Just finished off three fingers of the Alberta Dark Batch. That sure is some easy drinking...

Before starting our single malt tasting and Game of Thrones viewing last night we began the evening with a nice pour of Saz 18 to prime the palate as it were! Delightful as always with a rich almost brown sugar/cinnamon thing happening last night.

My brother-in-law came down from MN. for the weekend and after mentioning his recent rye kick I decided it was time to open the Saz 18 and Ritt 23 I've been hanging onto. Why the hell did I wait so long to open these? They're both amazing!

My brother-in-law came down from MN. for the weekend and after mentioning his recent rye kick I decided it was time to open the Saz 18 and Ritt 23 I've been hanging onto. Why the hell did I wait so long to open these? They're both amazing!

Dam right brother, drink the best stuff you have, as often as you can, while you still can!

Just finished off three fingers of the Alberta Dark Batch. That sure is some easy drinking...

Alberta Rye Dark Batch is newly available here. I would be interested in your comments on it. What's it like? How does it compare or not to a US rye? What's it better than? Worse than? Thx.

Alberta Rye Dark Batch is newly available here. I would be interested in your comments on it. What's it like? How does it compare or not to a US rye? What's it better than? Worse than? Thx.

It definitely has a Candian profile to it, but with a strong sherry element. Just enough spice to make it interesting, but a far cry from an US straight rye.

Today, I will enjoy a nice pour of High West Double Rye, in celebration of my 74th Birthday and the Birthday of our Country.

I will also enjoy a nice pour of Rittenhouse Rye, in honor of Chris Kyle, an American Sniper and all the other Warriors who have fought for and have died, over the years, for our country!!!

Opted to start celebrating Independence Day with a blind sbs of some unaged rye whiskey - including the George Washington Rye distilled at Mount Vernon. I also threw in a HH Trybox Rye and BT's rye dog - but diluted the latter two to 86 proof to match the GW rye. I'm not a big white dog fan (or even a small one to be candid). The HH I thought had promise, as it was fairly cloudy after adding the water to dilute it (more so than the BT), but I overwhelmingly preferred the GW rye. Both the nose and the palate were thick and syrupy compared to the other two, and it had more going on (although corn was still the big theme coming across in all three). I thought the BT was not quite as thick, but more going on than the HH.

Not sure what I'll do with the rest of the BT and HH (maybe portion out in barrel experiments), but the GW Rye I'll actually enjoy neat. Happy Birthday USA! :toast:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!