What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Alberta Rye Dark Batch is newly available here. I would be interested in your comments on it. What's it like? How does it compare or not to a US rye? What's it better than? Worse than? Thx.

There's a thread, with some brief notes that I posted here...

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that thread. Certainly sounds like a dram to contemplate, while drinking it.

Having some CEHT tonight. Much different than I remember last, but still enjoyable. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a bottle since I bought this one almost two years ago.

Had some SAOS 7yr last night, going to look back on one of these $33 bottles one day and say for the price that was a great rye.

Summer is back with a vengeance here so several pours of baby saz over ice were needed last night.

... If you like port wine and Canadian rye, I'd definitely give it a go!

Do you mean you mix them? What proportions do you recommend? :crazy:

Just finished reading the JB Rye (new green label 90 proof) thread. I have an open bottle of it which I forgot about (I only use Ritt or Saz for Manhattans so . . .). Hence, tonight will be a taste or two of the new JB Rye Green 90.

tonight will be a taste or two of the new JB Rye Green 90.

Read the same post and it appears that it's not getting a lot of love.

I haven't seen it here yet so after tasting I am very interested in what your opinion is Harry.

Read the same post and it appears that it's not getting a lot of love.

I haven't seen it here yet so after tasting I am very interested in what your opinion is Harry.

A bit surprised you haven't gotten it yet TT. Haven't bought any but I think it is available down here in the "big city" as I recall.

There's a thread, with some brief notes that I posted here...

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?23740-Alberta-Rye-Dark-Batch-from-Beam-Suntory/page5&highlight=alberta+dark+batch

Better than/worse than? I think it's pretty unique. Definitely Canadian, but I'm a fan. If you like port wine and Canadian rye, I'd definitely give it a go!

I would not call it bad, but it seems that all I can really taste is the sherry.

As promised, I reopened the JB Rye green 90 about 4 PM today. I last tasted it shortly after buying it several months ago. Nose was a bit heftier than JB Yellow 80 but still had that sweet pea with maple syrup aroma I get from the yeast (I'm guessing) in young (under 8 yr) JB offerings. It smelled like a rye - grassy or grainy - but that aroma was there. FWIW, that aroma doesn't bother me in anything other than JBW, and I usually can't find it in, say, KC, and can barely find it in JBB. The first taste was warm and classic rye - grain and mint. The mint didn't hit me like MPG rye; this was subtle. It was easy to sip, but it clearly wasn't baby Saz or Ritt. The 90 proof helped the finish hold up. Again, it wasn't overwhelmingbut was pleasant. On hot days, like today, it was fine neat. In short, it's a nice step up from JB Yellow or Old Overholt and smoother than KC Rye. I'd use it for batches of Manhattans or for introducing persons to "rye". It now has a place on my shelf but is not something I'd drink every day. But then, I would choose high rye bourbons over a classic rye for sipping,anyway.

I do like having the choice, too, and it is a step up from the JB Yellow and Old Overholt. Like JBB with its 8 year aging and 86 proof or even the new JB Bonded, the new JB Rye is a solid offering, in my opinion, and (but?) like those other two Beam products it has no rough edges. Tonight, I'm going to have some Wiser's Legacy which I found while getting the JB Rye green 90 out. The WL is sweeter than what I usually drink, but I like it better than most Canadian whiskies so I keep it around for a change of pace every few months.

I wonder what else is back there . . .

Do you mean you mix them? What proportions do you recommend? :crazy:

Just finished reading the JB Rye (new green label 90 proof) thread. I have an open bottle of it which I forgot about (I only use Ritt or Saz for Manhattans so . . .). Hence, tonight will be a taste or two of the new JB Rye Green 90.

Thank you, TT. Paddy, that ambiguity in your post was just too good to pass up; I had to take the cheap shot. That said, I've been passing on the Alberta just "because". However, I really liked the Abe Bowman port finished bourbon from awhile ago so, if I can remember the next time I'm in an appropriate shop, I will look for this. (Edit - took out a wrong reference to an other spirit).

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Just finishing a healthy JB Rye Manhattan using Moilly Prat Rouge. It's pretty dam good! A whole lot better than JB Rye on it's own, at least for me.

Had a couple Rittenhouse Old Fashioneds. Very refreshing but I think I prefer the spiciness of Bulleit. Any other high-rye/similar recipes that are relatively inexpensive? I enjoy Bulleit as a rye mixer, however I feel that it is overpriced at $28-30 around me.

I would advise WT101R, just a couple dollars more but a larger bottle so you can make more Old Fashions.

I would advise WT101R, just a couple dollars more but a larger bottle so you can make more Old Fashions.

Good suggestion. I will keep an eye out for it.

Old Grand Dad BIB or 114 would be worth a try. I use the BIB as my basic high rye cocktail mixer go to.

The Dickel rye is pretty similar to the Bulleit (being that they're both MGPI) and is a few bucks cheaper around here.

Having some Alberta Rye dark batch to start the evening off. I have to give our neighbors to the north credit on this one. A very good, different tasting rye. I'm going to have to pick up another bottle soon, almost done with this one.

post-9285-14489822599136_thumb.jpg

Last night sbs of baby Saz and SAOS. This bottle of Saz is just bursting with spice flavors and I'm loving it. I do hope the other 3 in the bunker are from the same bottling.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!