What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks Squire and amg. All of the OGD suggestions really make me think it is will be up my alley.

Last night I enjoyed my first pour of Baby Saz. It is closer to Rittenhouse than most any other ryes, IMO. Next up will be a Sazerac with Baby Saz and Herbsaint.

Enjoyed a couple of High West Double Rye Manhattans, using Noilly Prat Rouge. Until a week ago I had never used Noilly Prat and now I wonder why, it's a fantastic Vermouth. I must say, I am on the fence with High West DR as a sipper, but it really shines in a Manhattan.

I realize it's Canadian, but it will get lost over in the "wee dram" thread: I'm finally able to see why so many like the Lot 40 2012 release. It's tasted completely off to me for the year and half I've had the bottle. Only half a bottle left and it's finally tasting sweet and juicy with good rye spice. I don't know what took so long for my taste buds.

I'm following with my batch of Rittlepig. I mixed this up a while ago and liked it right off the bat. I'm not always in a rye mood so I let it sit for a long time until tonight and holy smokes has this turned into something special. I can't thank Paddy enough for suggesting this vat. This is good enough to warrant another Whistle Pig purchase for the sole intent of creating this blend.

Officially on a rye kick. Followed up the above with SAOS 8yr cask strength rye. Beautiful whiskey. Need to be sure I snag a couple more before they disappear.

I went to a rye tasting with a couple of buddies last night. On the table were Rebel Yell Rye, Dickle Rye, Crown Royal Rye, Templeton Rye, Bulleit Rye and Woodford Reserve Rye. Most folks here know I'm not a rye guy. :rolleyes: I must say I was pleasantly surprised. All the ryes were from LDI distillate except maybe the Woodford Rye, and to me, there wasn't a stinker in the bunch.

Here's some tasting notes from what I can remember. :skep: The thoughts and notes are mine, but are pretty much a consensus of the three of us.

Rebel Yell Rye-Maybe just a tad light, but nice flavor. Good mix of fruit and spice. Kinda reminded me of Four Roses Yellow Label in that aspect.

Dickle Rye- This one seemed to pack the most "punch". Right up front spice flavor. May a bit tannic and/or dry.

Crown Royal Rye-This one was a bit light too, but I actually liked it a lot. Light and sweet, with a slightly flora flavor. Real easy sipper for me.

Templeton Rye-Templeton had a bit of a kick to it too. Mostly spice (nutmeg?) to me, but with a very slight hint of something sweet underlying that I couldn't quite put a handle on. I wouldn't call Templeton rich or oily, but it did have a slightly viscous mouthfeel.

Bulleit Rye- This was probably the best of the bunch. A good robust flavor but not overbearing at all. Rich, sweet and spicy, all balanced out in an extremely good way.

Woodford Reserve Rye- Not bad, but not good either. This one was hard to figure out. Slightly tannic/bitter, and the flavors going on are/were hard to describe. A head scratcher for sure. Drinkable, but… To all three of us, it was our least favorite.

We got to taste some good ryes, and made a couple of new friends at the same time. I also ran into a guy I used to work with. I found, or maybe a better term would be, regained a little more respect for ryes. All in all a really fun night. :cool:

Cheers! Joe

I realize it's Canadian, but it will get lost over in the "wee dram" thread: I'm finally able to see why so many like the Lot 40 2012 release. It's tasted completely off to me for the year and half I've had the bottle. Only half a bottle left and it's finally tasting sweet and juicy with good rye spice. I don't know what took so long for my taste buds.

I'm following with my batch of Rittlepig. I mixed this up a while ago and liked it right off the bat. I'm not always in a rye mood so I let it sit for a long time until tonight and holy smokes has this turned into something special. I can't thank Paddy enough for suggesting this vat. This is good enough to warrant another Whistle Pig purchase for the sole intent of creating this blend.

We definitely have similar tastes, as was immediately endeared to the '12 Lot 40 (to the point of bunkering it).:grin:

And dang:yum: if you don't have me craving a three finger pour of the Rittlepig 'bout right now!

What was your ratio on the Rittlepig?

Sipping some Royal Oaked Rye by a local micro distiller Motor City Gas. I think the bar maid said it has 30% corn in the mash and it's pretty tasty considering how young it is and the fact they do the small barrel thing. I think I like it more than their bourbon I had to start with.

We definitely have similar tastes, as was immediately endeared to the '12 Lot 40 (to the point of bunkering it).:grin:

And dang:yum: if you don't have me craving a three finger pour of the Rittlepig 'bout right now!

I finished up last evening with a small pour of the RP. Now I'm starting the weekend off with a serious dose of CR Northern Harvest!

Sazerac 18 (2007) and Zombie Dust Pale Ale, two classics that pair together perfectly!5f14236377e55b848e864aa5383af639.jpg

Having some more CEHT tonight. The bottle started with lots of creamy cinnamon, but lately I've been getting more floral rye notes.

Continuing my rye kick tonight. Started with Baby Saz and oh mannnnn......when it's on it's really on. Sticking with that profile I'm into some '14 Handy no. Will probably finish with the last pour of that SAOS 8yr cask strength rye.

CR Northern Harvest hit on all cylinders tonight. I had opened the bottle 6 or 8 weeks ago and taken a couple of jiggers off it. Seemed much improved tonight. Turned four or five friends onto it as well and it was very well received.

CR Northern Harvest hit on all cylinders tonight. I had opened the bottle 6 or 8 weeks ago and taken a couple of jiggers off it. Seemed much improved tonight. Turned four or five friends onto it as well and it was very well received.

Started with a bit of Dickel rye before moving to some Jeff 10. Kicking myself a bit for not buying more of this up when it was laying around at $35.

WT81

not the greatest rye but hitting the spot on this scorching hot/humid summer day!

Opened one of the KC Rye bottles I picked up last week for $16.98 for a 750ml. I love KC Rye to begin with but at about 1/2 the price of what it costs in Indy, I love it even more!

Finishing the night off with some JPS 25y Rye. I love this rye. Lots of wood, chocolate, and a soft coffee.

CEHT BiB Rye (2014 expression) tonight.

Shared with a bunch of local friends so we made a pretty serious dent in a fresh bottle - universally appreciated. Ginger, cherry, orange zest and toasted almonds on the nose, good thick mouth feel, mulled apple cider heavy with allspice and nutmeg on the palate and a lingering finish with a gingerbread bite on the end. I think 100 proof nails it here - dense and well balanced, but smooth. it opens with a little water or ice but loses the oily mouth feel and drops richness quickly.

It's on the pricey side, but I don't regret the purchase in the least - nor will I mind the expense to refill that spot on-deck with a '15 version.

Lot 40, Baby Saz (still really impressed with this one), Senior Saz '14 (a perennial favorite), and WT101 Rye. You would think that the WT101 Rye would be lackluster following Handy but it's holding its own very nicely.

WT101 Rye worked through half the liter and not hating it but not loving it either, seems a little rough. needs more time in the barrel.

Still on my rye kick that started early last week. Lot 40 again - while it's tasting good I'm going to keep the party going. Then some Baby Saz and boy, this one is really agreeing with the taste buds in a way it never has. It's been this way for a few days now so I'm thankful I have a number of these bunkered. For a switch, I moved onto the CEHT Rye. Haven't had this in months and my currently rye thirsty palate is liking this more than I ever have. This is really a unique rye profile and I'm appreciating it in ways I wasn't expecting that actually has me considering a repeat purchase which I thought was off the table given it's price.

The ever changing palate is a fickle mistress.

For a switch, I moved onto the CEHT Rye. Haven't had this in months and my currently rye thirsty palate is liking this more than I ever have. This is really a unique rye profile and I'm appreciating it in ways I wasn't expecting that actually has me considering a repeat purchase which I thought was off the table given it's price.

I'm the same way with the CEHT rye. I go back and forth on whether to get another bottle almost from pour to pour. At $75 it's too pricey to be a regular, but it's so unique, I'll probably keep one around as a change of pace — of course, my opinion might change the next time I have a glass!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!