What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

VWFRR to combat the midweek blahs.....

Can't help but be happy when drinking this.

B

I would love to give CEHT rye a try. If I run across it at a reasonable price, I will take the plunge.

Tonight, I am in a sad mood. One of my co-workers is leaving for a new job tomorrow. We have worked side-by-side for about 8 years. He is younger than me and in that upward career path mode. I am giving him a bottle of FR Barrel Select OBSV and some Oklahoma Sooners shot glasses as a going away present.

Me, I am drinking a little Knob Creek Rye and wondering where the time went.

Sipping some Royal Oaked Rye by a local micro distiller Motor City Gas. I think the bar maid said it has 30% corn in the mash and it's pretty tasty considering how young it is and the fact they do the small barrel thing. I think I like it more than their bourbon I had to start with.

CR Northern Harvest hit on all cylinders tonight. I had opened the bottle 6 or 8 weeks ago and taken a couple of jiggers off it. Seemed much improved tonight. Turned four or five friends onto it as well and it was very well received.

So a couple of weeks later you still feel the same?

I really liked the CRNH - and I usually don't like Canadian stuff.

I do! It is what it is... and it will not take water well at all IMO. Straight up, or with a few drops, I actually felt that it improved after being opened a few weeks. Beyone a few drops, this dog will not continue to hunt due to its gentle nature...

I don't know about it being a regular, but I'll certainly not hesitate to be a repeat customer.

Tried some of the new Pikesville. There's definitely a family resemblance between it and Rittenhouse. It's richer and a little thicker. It's my first pour out of the bottle and I haven't tired it and Rittenhouse side by side, but my first impression is that while it's better, I don't think the increase in quality is worth the $25 to $30 increase in price. In other words, it's good but I'm not sure it's $50 good.

Got my SA 8YO SB Cask Strength Rye this week. Popped this morning to taste. Hey, its Saturday:cool:. Decided to do an informal SBS with the Michter's BP Rye. Both neat in a Glencairn. Color is about the same. Nose on the Michter's is more muted while the nose on the SA is brighter with more baking spice > edge goes to the SA. Palate on the Michters is very balanced - nothing really stands out - some vanilla, some rye spice, a bit sweet and some burn. Palate on the SA is a more laser like rye profile. The sweetness is up front and balanced by the rye spice > edge goes to the SA. Finish on the SA seems more memorable due to that laser like rye focus on the palate. These are quick impressions, but for my $$ I prefer the SA. I look forward to seeing how they evolve in the bottle. Happy to have both, but intend to buy more of the SA before it flies away.

Edited by El Vino

Had some Redemption Rye, Batch 4 last night. Just a couple drops of water to tame the proof. The best this has ever tasted to me. Definitely a rye, but had a chocolately thing going on. So good I had to pour another wee bit.

I just got back from a short vacation in Wisconsin where I picked up a handle of America's cheapest rye, Fleischmann's. I've been nipping on it for the last couple days and, for a whiskey that costs about $16 a HANDLE (after rebate), it's quite impressive. I started a separate thread comparing the current version (which no longer calls itself straight rye) to the old Barton product.

Haven't had a rye in a while and it was too warm today for a top shelf pour from my cabinet so I decided to crack open the Bulleit rye that has been in there for a while. Pretty tasty but it just reminds me how much I prefer bourbon over Rye. I have a GD Rye down in the bunker to try eventually and I think that is about it other than the open Alberta dark I put back in the bunker because I wasn't enjoying it.

Nice pour of an SAOS 8yr courtesy of the folks from Liquor World in Bardstown (well - not "courtesy" like it was free or nuthin!) My first ever SAOS purchase, and haven't regretted it or any since!

I ended a beautiful Saturday evening with a nice three finger pour of Rittlepig blend then promptly moved back over to bourbon today.

Baby Saz to start the evening. Following up with EHT Rye. I'm on another rye kick.

Big ol pour of THH '2011, which I'll dutifully nurse after recalling it is a school night :)

Three fingers of CR Northern Harvest. I blame Steve's post (from last night) for my current situation!:rolleyes:

Three fingers of CR Northern Harvest. I blame Steve's post (from last night) for my current situation!:rolleyes:

I will shoulder that burden as I sip on another Baby Saz this evening. I'll likely move onto some Turkey rye after this.

Work is giving me a beat down this week, and the end is not in sight yet. Having a little pick me up.

a5e6a7fb78a6541d13191ebaa9060864.jpg

B

Work is giving me a beat down this week, and the end is not in sight yet. Having a little pick me up.

B

The beat down is on and it's only Tuesday? I'd say your reward is justly deserved.

B

Well done - if that won't cure what ails ya . . . pour another :)

Couple oz of Lot 40 on a Wednesday night for me.

Trying to work through a bottle of Redemption 7 year. Vatting it 50:50 with some 2 year Willet to

try and soften it a little.

Had my first pours of the CR North Harvest Rye and the Alberta Dark Batch. Started with the CR because I expected less to come from it.

Wow, what a surprise. This is the best CR I've ever tried. The rye comes through and lingers on the tongue. Next up was the ADB. The color of this is much darker than the CR and as I expected the taste was much deeper too.

I really enjoyed both all evening but since I prefer 100 proof ryes I doubt I'll purchase anymore of these.

Ding, ding what these 90 proof bottles tells me is if our northern friends would provide us with some barrel proof or cask strength offerings NDP's like WP would be blown out of the water.

Come on Canucks, start exporting what those south of the border really want!

Had my first pours of the CR North Harvest Rye and the Alberta Dark Batch. Started with the CR because I expected less to come from it.

Wow, what a surprise. This is the best CR I've ever tried. The rye comes through and lingers on the tongue. Next up was the ADB. The color of this is much darker than the CR and as I expected the taste was much deeper too.

I really enjoyed both all evening but since I prefer 100 proof ryes I doubt I'll purchase anymore of these.

Ding, ding what these 90 proof bottles tells me is if our northern friends would provide us with some barrel proof or cask strength offerings NDP's like WP would be blown out of the water.

Come on Canucks, start exporting what those south of the border really want!

Thanks for those notes on the CR NHR! I picked up a 50 mL to try, and keep forgetting about it!

And speaking for forgetting, reached back in the cabinet for a Collingwood 21yr Canadian Rye I hadn't touched yet this year. Bought this thinking I'd use it mainly for mingling, but it is one of the most satisfying 80 proof pours I've got.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!