What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm in agreement with this assessment as I think most rye lovers here are. Had several nice pours of my old reliable RITTBIB last night.

Correct. Dang, I like it a lot but the price just gives me pause.

Couple pours of Dickel rye last night...pretty decent for ~$17 a bottle.

I love Dickel and at $17 a bottle, I'd buy a case. Cost $24.99/$25.99 in my area!

I think CEHT rye is wonderful too, and agree on the pricing.

But I don't think it's going to stay this expensive. Whistlepig, CEHT and Willett just kind of got the jump on the premium rye movement (apart from annuals from BT and VW).

They're cranking it out of the stills now, and ryes like these can come of age reasonably quickly. There's going to be a fair bit of competition soon. I think time is on our side with CEHT and WP pricing.

I think CEHT rye is wonderful too, and agree on the pricing.

But I don't think it's going to stay this expensive. Whistlepig, CEHT and Willett just kind of got the jump on the premium rye movement (apart from annuals from BT and VW).

They're cranking it out of the stills now, and ryes like these can come of age reasonably quickly. There's going to be a fair bit of competition soon. I think time is on our side with CEHT and WP pricing.

I do hope you are right. If CEHT rye comes down in price, I'll be stocking up with multiples.

If I'm right about the coming surge in supply, I don't think we'll need to think about bunkering for a very long time.

It's going to be a change in mindset for us W Nevrosa types, that's for sure!

Enjoying a nice rye vatting of some WFE 4yr & WFE 25yr. Found my sweet spot is a 4.5:1 ratio (heavier on the 4yr).

Had a new to me, 2oz espresso cup filled with 1oz Baby Saz, 1oz fresh dark roast espresso and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. WOW! that's mind blowing, especially if you like espresso. I have no idea why I have never had that before, but it will become a staple for me!

Small pour of VR23 followed by some WP Boss Hog. That is some really spicy pig. Just opened the bottle so will have to let it sit a while.

Been working my way through some SAOS standard rye and some CEHT Rye - I have to say the recommendations around here for that one were spot on. If I could find that around 40$ or 50$ it would be my everyday drink.

Since it has been a while I broke out the 2011 Thomas handy. What an exquisite whiskey.

Ya know, I am sipping on a '13 Saz 18 at the moment, and again, my mind drifts back to a comparison with the Handy's I've had. Outside of the "once it's gone, it's gone" factor, I can't say there is any other reason for me to prefer it to Handy. THH is indeed, exquisite. :toast:

Ya know, I am sipping on a '13 Saz 18 at the moment, and again, my mind drifts back to a comparison with the Handy's I've had. Outside of the "once it's gone, it's gone" factor, I can't say there is any other reason for me to prefer it to Handy. THH is indeed, exquisite. :toast:

It is one of my favorites. I have a local store that always gets tons of btac. They always overcharge for the others but leave the handy at msrp. I try and pick up one each year

A pour of Michter's Barrel Proof tonight. Not as magical as the first couple pours from this bottle but still really good. Very long finish.

SAOS 8 YO 58.4% from Ezra's. Halfway through the bottle now. In a Canadian glencairn with three cubes while grilling steaks on a beautiful night. None of the flavors were as clear/sharp as when first opened. Still really enjoyable, just not able to hold the near 'Handyesque" goodness as when first opened. Maybe it was the ice...

SAOS 8 YO 58.4% from Ezra's. Halfway through the bottle now. In a Canadian glencairn with three cubes while grilling steaks on a beautiful night. None of the flavors were as clear/sharp as when first opened. Still really enjoyable, just not able to hold the near 'Handyesque" goodness as when first opened. Maybe it was the ice...

Funny, I had a pour of my SAOS 8 year CS rye last evening over ice, and I didn't think the ice did it any favors. First couple of sips before the ice melted were delicious, and then a bit downhill from there. Made a mental note to drink this neat or opened up with just a bit of water.

Had a little Rittenhouse neat last night after combining a couple bottles. I love this stuff so much in cocktails. This may have been the first time I tried it on its own.

I recently picked up a bottle of Alberta Dark Batch, and I've been sipping on it this week. It's an interesting flavor profile, but less intense than I would expect from a whiskey of its proof---just about any American straight whiskey is more assertive.

I recently picked up a bottle of Alberta Dark Batch, and I've been sipping on it this week. It's an interesting flavor profile, but less intense than I would expect from a whiskey of its proof---just about any American straight whiskey is more assertive.

I find that to be the Canadian 'style'. Now, I'm probably end up back in my bottle of this stuff tonight.:grin:

I find that to be the Canadian 'style'. Now, I'm probably end up back in my bottle of this stuff tonight.:grin:

That's exactly how I feel about this one and the new CR. I like rye/bourbons that say "wow, get a taste of that!"

Back on topic a JEP Manhattan, sweet!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!