What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

. . . . but less intense than I would expect from a whiskey of its proof---just about any American straight whiskey is more assertive.

True alas for just about any Canadian, as well as the majority of Scotch and Irish blends. To their credit they're not trying for the bold and assertive taste of the American style, and some of their efforts are remarkably well crafted, yet, it is what it is.

Had a new to me, 2oz espresso cup filled with 1oz Baby Saz, 1oz fresh dark roast espresso and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. WOW! that's mind blowing, especially if you like espresso. I have no idea why I have never had that before, but it will become a staple for me!

Johnny boy, I think you've hit on something there. I've not had it yet but my taste buds are already in overdrive. Can't wait for Saturday morning!

I recently picked up a bottle of Alberta Dark Batch, and I've been sipping on it this week. It's an interesting flavor profile, but less intense than I would expect from a whiskey of its proof---just about any American straight whiskey is more assertive.

Johnny boy, I think you've hit on something there. I've not had it yet but my taste buds are already in overdrive. Can't wait for Saturday morning!

Pour #2 of the day is Hudson Manhattan Rye, neat. I like it, but I'll take Taylor EH Taylor Rye over this any day. Won't be buying again considering the price point.

Had a pour of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye, first time for me. Dam, this is tasty stuff. Had a second healthier pour, took my time and really enjoyed this stuff. I'll really need to go through a few more pours, but I am thinking that this is going to become one of my top tier Ryes!

Had a pour of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye, first time for me. Dam, this is tasty stuff. Had a second healthier pour, took my time and really enjoyed this stuff. I'll really need to go through a few more pours, but I am thinking that this is going to become one of my top tier Ryes!

I also find that the subtleties of this Canadian rye do lead one to keep reaching for more.:yum:

Did a rye flight with a couple friends last night.

Started with Willett 2 y/o. The bottle has improved somewhat since it has been open. Still some immature, maybe "raw" alcohol notes but there are some good flavors there as well. I think this one could be really good with more age. By the way, anyone seen the 3.5 yr. out there yet?

Next we had a freshly opened bottle of EH Taylor Rye. Wow! Now I see why it gets the love around here. Really good and different. I picked out some marshmallow and vanilla notes. This was the favorite of the night for everyone. Looking forward to spending more time with this one. Like everyone, I wish that the price was lower.

Finished up with Michters Barrel Strength. I don't love it as much as I did when I first opened the bottle but it is still REALLY good. It would be an easy buy again if the price was lower.

Ritt BIB for the first time in a verrrrry long time. My first bottle of this was the previous label and my current is of course the new label. My first crack at this just didn't work for me. I think it's because my only rye experience prior to it was 95% MGP and 100% Alberta. The barely legal rye mashbill of Ritt was too bourbon like for me. Well, tastes evolve. I decided to give it another shot and wow, how good is this? I'm appreciating it in a whole different way.

Ritt BIB for the first time in a verrrrry long time. My first bottle of this was the previous label and my current is of course the new label. My first crack at this just didn't work for me. I think it's because my only rye experience prior to it was 95% MGP and 100% Alberta. The barely legal rye mashbill of Ritt was too bourbon like for me. Well, tastes evolve. I decided to give it another shot and wow, how good is this? I'm appreciating it in a whole different way.

...and it mixes quite well with that 100% Alberta, doesn't it? :grin:

...and it mixes quite well with that 100% Alberta, doesn't it? :grin:

It certainly does!! Still have some of that admixture on hand as well!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!