What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Spring/Summer 2015

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Shared a bottle of 10th Anniversary Kilchoman (a distillery only bottling I am told. One of the bottles I acquired while dashing about Scotland the last couple of weeks) with a fellow SB/GBSer over the weekend. A blend of single malt whisky from several years including some 10yo which is oldest this 10yo distillery has released to date for obvious reasons! Might be the best one to date for me that hasn't been finished. The 3yo port matured from last year was pretty darn good and they had some very limited bottlings of finished whisky on display but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately as I could not carry much more!) but they were distillery only and sold out. A PX sherry with deep color looked particularly intriguing.

I've not really been a fan of this bottle previously, and maybe it's the Gurkha Seduction cigar I'm pairing it with, but this Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 18 is hittin' me square in my wheelhouse tonight. Syrupy thick and sweet. A great heft to it. Warming on a cool damp and drizzly night. The nose is more than worth the price of admission. I drink and enjoy bourbon more than Scotch, but my friend BigRich is spot on in saying that scotch goes better with a cigar. They really are made for each other.

I like a nice carefree value pour of Scotch now and again, and for my money ($17 a bottle after a tidy discount for buying 6) Speyburn 10 usually hits that spot. Very light on the caramel use, if any is used at all, which I appreciate. And while some may describe the flavor as vomitous, I prefer to think of it as more of a delightfully recycled barley citrus, a note I have detected in much dearer bottles. Plus it's good as a mixer, whereas even in that role blends typically leave me wanting something of more substance.

Aberlour A'bunadh is one of my favorites, I always enjoy it. As my Irish friends would say, it's a big feckin whiskey! Speyburn is just the opposite to me. I enjoy it's youthful freshness, lots of green grass and fruits. I think it's a great value purchase. I picked up a few more of the Glendronach 15 yo Revival today, so that's what I'm enjoying tonight.

I like a nice carefree value pour of Scotch now and again, and for my money ($17 a bottle after a tidy discount for buying 6) Speyburn 10 usually hits that spot. Very light on the caramel use, if any is used at all, which I appreciate. And while some may describe the flavor as vomitous, I prefer to think of it as more of a delightfully recycled barley citrus, a note I have detected in much dearer bottles. Plus it's good as a mixer, whereas even in that role blends typically leave me wanting something of more substance.

Cracked open my bottle of Highland Park 12 tonight. I was anxious, thought I was ready to make the jump from sherry heavy single malts to something with less sherry influence.

HP12 seemed to fit the bill given the review.

Well, let's just say, I don't think single malts are for me. I get smell and get from this HP12 is medicinal and band aids.

I think there is something wrong with me.

Cracked open my bottle of Highland Park 12 tonight. I was anxious, thought I was ready to make the jump from sherry heavy single malts to something with less sherry influence.

HP12 seemed to fit the bill given the review.

Well, let's just say, I don't think single malts are for me. I get smell and get from this HP12 is medicinal and band aids.

I think there is something wrong with me.

Don't give up quite yet. There are tons of extraordinary single malts out there that are unpeated (or lightly peated) without any sherry influence which may prove more to your liking. Have you tried Old Pulteney 12 yet? I've had great luck turning people on to single malts via OP12. Glenmorangie Original is also foolproof and won't break the bank.

Don't give up quite yet. There are tons of extraordinary single malts out there that are unpeated (or lightly peated) without any sherry influence which may prove more to your liking. Have you tried Old Pulteney 12 yet? I've had great luck turning people on to single malts via OP12. Glenmorangie Original is also foolproof and won't break the bank.

LOL. I actually have both. Picked them up based on recommendations. Tried them and couldn't get with it and turned to bourbon/rye.

I think I'll revisit those bottles. Thanks unclebunk.

LOL. I actually have both. Picked them up based on recommendations. Tried them and couldn't get with it and turned to bourbon/rye.

I think I'll revisit those bottles. Thanks unclebunk.

I think single malts are more of an acquired taste than bourbon, particularly ones that are peated. At least that's been my experience when trying to introduce certain whiskeys to family and friends.

My first introduction to malts was with elderly relatives in Scotland who poured me two or three fingers of Laphroaig. Looking back, I would be hard-pressed to think of a worse choice to give a newbie when trying to get them to appreciate single malt scotch. So, you can well imagine my reaction, as well as the reactions of my relatives who were certain that I was born wearing a big girls blouse. I steered clear for more than 10 years and continued to drink Irish whiskey exclusively but eventually came around and now Laphroaig is one of my hands-down favorites. Yet even to this day, I know many hardcore peat-heads who absolutely hate the stuff. Again, it's about acquiring the taste of something that is so foreign to us, whereas bourbon at least has a bit of sweetness and immediately recognizable flavors and aromas (dark cherries, tobacco, butterscotch, etc.). Keep an open mind and try the Old Pulteney and Glenmorangie again, ideally on a blustery winter evening by a fireplace. That's what worked for me!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.