Whats your simple syrup recipe?

ramblinman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is seasonal, but I use a 1.5 to 1 ratio and place 5 or 6 fresh fig leaves on top and cover. Make sure leaf stems are removed and leaves washed. Let steep for 8 to 10 Minutes. 

0821181151b.jpg

• I like it 1

• 10 months later...

I use honey on a 1 : 1 ratio. I like it much better than the standard granulated sugar mixture. I have a favorite cocktail, Borbon Y Abejas, that I use it in. It’s very similar to an Old Fashion. 

• 8 months later...

I make it on a drink by drink basis, 1:1.

My son tried to make a pint or so for me, and store it in the refrigerator. It became moldy pretty quickly. And I really have no ongoing use for a pint of simple syrup.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:54 AM, ratcheer said:

I make it on a drink by drink basis, 1:1.

My son tried to make a pint or so for me, and store it in the refrigerator. It became moldy pretty quickly. And I really have no ongoing use for a pint of simple syrup.

Add a little splash of vodka and it will keep for a few months.

• I like it 1

On 11/10/2020 at 7:01 PM, Bret Bret said:

Or Everclear

Now that’s funny, I don’t care who you are. :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Sometimes these things just pop in your head and you have to say them before your common sense takes over.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Sometimes these things just pop in your head and you have to say them before your common sense takes over.

LOL! I resemble that remark. ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 11/10/2020 at 8:01 PM, Bret Bret said:

Or Everclear

On 11/11/2020 at 10:30 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

It is also quite true. Everclear works perfectly well as a preservative for simple syrups or other syrups if you happen to have it on hand.

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had any luck with a low carb or keto version of simple syrup?  The low carb diet is working well for my gut and butt size so need to stay true to it. 

22 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

Has anyone had any luck with a low carb or keto version of simple syrup?  The low carb diet is working well for my gut and butt size so need to stay true to it. 

Stevia would probably be your best bet.  I haven't used it in simple syrup, but my daughter uses it all the time and swears by it.  A bit too in-your-face sweet for me, but worth a try.

6 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

Stevia might work. My wife has had good results with allulose. It dissolves easy and tastes good.

On 12/14/2020 at 5:44 PM, BMartin42 said:

I'll third the Stevia. It is supposed to be interchangeable with sugar (in other words a cup of Stevia is equivalent to a cup of sugar in recipes). I find it to be a little sweeter than sugar so I usually use a little less. However, be forewarned, some may experience gastro related side effects. 

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, BDanner said:

I'll third the Stevia. It is supposed to be interchangeable with sugar (in other words a cup of Stevia is equivalent to a cup of sugar in recipes). I find it to be a little sweeter than sugar so I usually use a little less. However, be forewarned, some may experience gastro related side effects. 

Also, go for the organic - non gmo

40 minutes ago, Bret Bret said:

Why?  Does it taste better?

On 12/18/2020 at 4:51 PM, Bret Bret said:

Never really understand all the noise from the anti GMO crowd. DNA is actively digested in the stomach by pepsin’s so even if it could cause you to grow a third eye (which might not be such a bad thing, especially if it grows in the back of your head. The back up camera in my car seems useful and I think that third eye could be too!) it is denatured long before it could ever get the chance.

Now, if you decide to snort the Stevia maybe you have something...

I used Crown Bourbon Barrel aged maple syrup over the weekend in some 4R Yellow old fashioneds, worked a treat. 

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Never really understand all the noise from the anti GMO crowd. DNA is actively digested in the stomach by pepsin’s so even if it could cause you to grow a third eye (which might not be such a bad thing, especially if it grows in the back of your head. The back up camera in my car seems useful and I think that third eye could be too!) it is denatured long before it could ever get the chance.

Now, if you decide to snort the Stevia maybe you have something...

Wow!  Lumped in with the anti GMO crowd for wanting to eat healthy.  To stay on thread, I think I'll mix myself a rainwater and pure-grain alcohol cocktail to protect my precious bodily fluids!

41 minutes ago, beasled said:

I used Crown Bourbon Barrel aged maple syrup over the weekend in some 4R Yellow old fashioneds, worked a treat. 

With you on that.  A bit too thin for pancakes, but perfect for old fashioneds.

Edited by Bret Bret

17 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Wow!  Lumped in with the anti GMO crowd for wanting to eat healthy.  To stay on thread, I think I'll mix myself a rainwater and pure-grain alcohol cocktail to protect my precious bodily fluids!

Didn’t really lump you into the anti GMO crowd so much as you did that on your own, right?

On 12/18/2020 at 4:51 PM, Bret Bret said:

Just my take on the topic in general and not necessarily directed solely at you and your bodily fluids! ?

I will leave the rest, if any, to the PRC thread, which I rarely venture in to.

45 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I will leave the rest, if any, to the PRC thread, which I rarely venture in to.

Very wise man.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.