BigBoldBully

Our ongoing observations about whether the boom has peaked

kcgumbohead
17 hours ago, flahute said:

You are talking about people like me and if I'm being honest I'm telling you that I have too much bourbon which means I'm going to be cutting back on my purchases while becoming way, way more picky about the barrels I'll be willing to select.  

I resemble that remark!! This is exactly where I am Steve. I have what I like in sufficient (at the very least) quantity and now purchase VERY selectively. The items I have in quantity though I would repeat were I back in time so I am very glad to have them and glad that I will be enjoying them into the foreseeable future. That said I wouldn't want me for a future customer as purchases going forward will be few and far between.

• I like it 2

DCFan
8 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Oops. Really just a tongue in cheek comment that statistics in general are often misleading, manipulated, or perhaps incomplete. Failed attempt at humor with my made up statistic about made up statistics.

Bob, nothing to apologize for because you were right on the money. ;) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics

• I like it 3

PaulO

Here's another aspect - major grocery chains have gotten into the liquor business.  They have a lot of inventory too. 

I was in a large grocery store the other day.  I was surprised to see a baker's rack type shelf standing next to the bourbon area.  On that shelf they had: KY Owl $119.99, Yellowstone in a tube $99.99, Yippe-Ki-Yay $79.99, and some other pricey mystery juice. 🤣

• I like it 1

Richnimrod
9 hours ago, PaulO said:

Here's another aspect - major grocery chains have gotten into the liquor business.  They have a lot of inventory too. 

I was in a large grocery store the other day.  I was surprised to see a baker's rack type shelf standing next to the bourbon area.  On that shelf they had: KY Owl $119.99, Yellowstone in a tube $99.99, Yippe-Ki-Yay $79.99, and some other pricey mystery juice. 🤣

Would they have allowed you to buy the entire rack, including all the bottles displayed?    I can't imagine how you resisted such a temptation..... ^_^

• I like it 1

macdad
On 10/21/2019 at 9:09 AM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Oops. Really just a tongue in cheek comment that statistics in general are often misleading, manipulated, or perhaps incomplete. Failed attempt at humor with my made up statistic about made up statistics. 

I got your humor!  Made me laugh!

FasterHorses

I think  for "us" it has peaked. For the industry...it's in it's infancy

Edited by FasterHorses

PaulO
On 10/22/2019 at 7:43 AM, Richnimrod said:

Would they have allowed you to buy the entire rack, including all the bottles displayed?    I can't imagine how you resisted such a temptation..... ^_^

Now I remember.  They had Heaven's Door too.

I opted for Eittenhouse BIB @ $20.99.

Seriously, some of these stores should hire me as a consultant.  

musekatcher

I cut way back on purchases, having acquired a collection, and got into single barrel buys at a local distillery - I can't drink it fast enough, lol.  Its been nice to gift some nice whiskey to friends.  Also, frustrated with availability, I worked my way thru all the KSB's out there, and found several modest offerings that are nice enough, always available, and modestly priced - in otherwords, they are under the radar. 

Just noticed last week, Virgin Bourbon is not on my shelves anymore?  Any news?  It wasn't my go-to, but always assuring when I went in the store, and there were many dozens of fifths on the shelves at my ankles.  

The Black Tot
6 hours ago, musekatcher said:

Virgin Bourbon is not on my shelves anymore? 

In the world of bourbon, virgins don't last long.

• I like it 3

kcgumbohead
6 hours ago, musekatcher said:

I cut way back on purchases, having acquired a collection, and got into single barrel buys at a local distillery - I can't drink it fast enough, lol.  Its been nice to gift some nice whiskey to friends.  Also, frustrated with availability, I worked my way thru all the KSB's out there, and found several modest offerings that are nice enough, always available, and modestly priced - in otherwords, they are under the radar. 

Just noticed last week, Virgin Bourbon is not on my shelves anymore?  Any news?  It wasn't my go-to, but always assuring when I went in the store, and there were many dozens of fifths on the shelves at my ankles.  

The age statement was dropped a couple months back. Perhaps you’re seeing the transition to NAS. It will be back but as a potentially younger and possibly more expensive virgin.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 1