Our ongoing observations about whether the boom has peaked

BigBoldBully

On 6/19/2020 at 11:28 PM, JCwhammie said:

Someone posted this in a local FB group. People have lost their minds if they're paying $50 for proofed down white dog, let alone if it's posted for $299 on some secondary site. But it's rare, so it must be a collector's bottle, right? 

20200619_222126.jpg

Yuck, a fool and their money I guess.

Hmm this gives me hope, I wonder if I can flip my Death's Door. It's been sitting on my shelf for like ~10 years so it must have historical value too.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Hmm this gives me hope, I wonder if I can flip my Death's Door. It's been sitting on my shelf for like ~10 years so it must have historical value too.

If you want to fully maximize your patience, wait for hysterical value.  That’s when the big bucks come in... ?

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

A local chain released their Buffalo Trace pick yesterday at 4 stores at 10am. Apparently lines started forming around 9am. A person on another forum I belong to got there at 9:40 to line up. She got 2 of the last 3 bottles. That store had 96 bottles and sold out in 4 minutes. For Buffalo Trace. !?!?!?!?@

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

A local chain released their Buffalo Trace pick yesterday at 4 stores at 10am. Apparently lines started forming around 9am. A person on another forum I belong to got there at 9:40 to line up. She got 2 of the last 3 bottles. That store had 96 bottles and sold out in 4 minutes. For Buffalo Trace. !?!?!?!?@

The boom marches one. Locally, it's the frenzy over the WTMK17 BIB. Every past WTMK has been easily attainable and sat on the shelf for months. 

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, flahute said:

The boom marches one. Locally, it's the frenzy over the WTMK17 BIB. Every past WTMK has been easily attainable and sat on the shelf for months. 

Here too.

They were lottery and or hidden in the back with the Weller SR and Eagle Rare 10.

I can still go find decades and revival on shelves, dust on the boxes, but cornerstone and 17BiB went straight to taterville.

Just calling it now, but Russell’s store picks are next , I fear...

Edited by 0895

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Here too.

They were lottery and or hidden in the back with the Weller SR and Eagle Rare 10.

I can still go find decades and revival on shelves, dust on the boxes, but cornerstone and 17BiB went straight to taterville.

I agree 100% on the Russell's being next......

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Here too.

Russells picks were unappreciated outside of us hardcore fans for a long time. I liked it that way. Unfortunately, I too have noticed the uptick of tater interest.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Not really a surprise to me. Past WTMK releases have either been low proof, vague NAS (10-20 years!) or novel (finishes etc). This is the first high age statement with a decent proof, exactly what the market demands. 

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 1

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

What were they marked at? I noticed that any barrel picks these days seem to carry a price premium. Three Old Elk barrels were released near me.  Two were 5 years old and one 6 years... $59.99, $69.99, and $69.99. I just don’t see why I would buy any of those rather than several bottles of WT101 or a bottle of RR.

5 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

What were they marked at? I noticed that any barrel picks these days seem to carry a price premium. Three Old Elk barrels were released near me.  Two were 5 years old and one 6 years... $59.99, $69.99, and $69.99. I just don’t see why I would buy any of those rather than several bottles of WT101 or a bottle of RR.

They were $28.99 or $26.99 with one of their "VIP" cards, kinit 2 per customer.

16 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

I’ve seen a couple of ps Old Elks at store in my are. One was a wheater, and was highly recommended by the store manger. It was $69.99. I believe the other was $59.99. I passed, but but did buy a couple of other things. 

Biba! Joe

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

It used to be when a store purchased a barrel pick they would price it slightly less than regular version.  Now, it seems like store picks are priced at a significant premium.  

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Russells picks were unappreciated outside of us hardcore fans for a long time. I liked it that way. Unfortunately, I too have noticed the uptick of tater interest.

Along with a significant uptick in price.  Even in the low $50s, it is still a good value, especially if you can find a stellar store pick.

Edited by mbroo5880i

29 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Along with a significant uptick in price.  

Yes........that too unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

It used to be when a store purchased a barrel pick they would price it slightly less than regular version.  Now, it seems like store picks are priced at a significant premium.  

Yeah, the store got a deal on the price for purchasing a whole barrel.  Also, suddenly a lot of inventory of a particular brand.  Pass the value on to the customers and recoup some cash.  Those were the days.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

That store had 96 bottles and sold out in 4 minutes. For Buffalo Trace. !?!?!?!?@

No doubt local Facebook groups spread the word either the night before or in real time.  You can't win a race against social media.

My local Facebook group is an absolute shit show. The admins who run the group fashion themselves as doing the public a "service," but in reality they are the world's worst taters and are the ones chiefly responsible for driving the tater behavior craziness.  I'm also convinced they are also benefitting financially the most from the secondary market. They are the problem.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

50 minutes ago, Kepler said:

No doubt local Facebook groups spread the word either the night before or in real time.  You can't win a race against social media.

My local Facebook group is an absolute shit show. The admins who run the group fashion themselves as doing the public a "service," but in reality they are the world's worst taters and are the ones chiefly responsible for driving the tater behavior craziness.  I'm also convinced they are also benefitting financially the most from the secondary market. They are the problem.

Agree. Mostly I just sit back and watch. Case in point was a post where someone posted that they could get 2 bottles of Weller Full Proof for $200 each before tax so they said $250 to cover tax and their trouble.  People were clamoring and fighting over who would be the ones to get the "deal of the century". There were discussions about how it would just be flipped immediately for $500.  Sigh.

I can just hear the hammering sounds o' them rackhouses a-multiplyin'...

Nothing is forever, and demand continues to beget supply.

The roots of a drinker's paradise continue to push greedily outward through the soil.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

Agree. Mostly I just sit back and watch. Case in point was a post where someone posted that they could get 2 bottles of Weller Full Proof for $200 each before tax so they said $250 to cover tax and their trouble.  People were clamoring and fighting over who would be the ones to get the "deal of the century". There were discussions about how it would just be flipped immediately for $500.  Sigh.

Maybe your local excise police should participate in this sort of bidding.  Do it under a made up name.  Make sure they're the highest bid. ?‍♂️ Surprise!  Confiscate everything: booze, computers, cell phones.  

• 1 month later...

Auction ended earlier today for a bottle of the legendary LeNell Red Hook Rye.  20K gbp hammer plus 10% buyer’s premium equates to over $29K at today’s exchange rate.  If the bottle is collected in the U.K., then additional 20% VAT is added.

3B9480F7-930D-4043-B21B-A02C1DB3F7EA.jpeg

10 hours ago, parksmart said:

Auction ended earlier today for a bottle of the legendary LeNell Red Hook Rye.  20K gbp hammer plus 10% buyer’s premium equates to over $29K at today’s exchange rate.  If the bottle is collected in the U.K., then additional 20% VAT is added.

Congratulations on your winning bid Gene!  But shouldn't you have posted this in the "What did you purchase today thread"?  ;):lol:

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Congratulations on your winning bid Gene!  But shouldn't you have posted this in the "What did you purchase today thread"?  ;):lol:

To quote one Billy Joel:

”You may be right/I may be crazy/But it just might be a lunatic you’re looking for”

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, parksmart said:

3B9480F7-930D-4043-B21B-A02C1DB3F7EA.jpeg

This whiskey ranks up there with the best 2 or 3 whiskies I've ever tasted. There is no way I'd ever pay that however!