What rye did you purchase today Spring/Summer 2015?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes I know it is hard to believe it's spring when it's below 20* and the ground is covered with snow but for some of us there are lot of trees blooming and neighbors cutting grass so it's time to move on.

A bottle of JEP1776 and RITTBIB.

I bought a SAOS 8 Year BP while in Covington, KY today. I paid $45 which I thought was a great price. I just purchased one last week in Indy for $60.

WT101R and I know I said previously that I was done with Woodford Reserve I couldn't pass up on a bottle of the rye so it came home with me too.

WT101R and I know I said previously that I was done with Woodford Reserve I couldn't pass up on a bottle of the rye so it came home with me too.

Well now we get to rely on you for a thorough review of this rye.

I bought a bottle of Russel's Reserve Rye $35 as I haven't visited the expression for some time And all I can say is Where have you been? I am really enjoying and hope the new TTB label SKU posted for 103 proof version comes to fruition. That will be amazing!

I bought a bottle of Russel's Reserve Rye $35 as I haven't visited the expression for some time And all I can say is Where have you been? I am really enjoying and hope the new TTB label SKU posted for 103 proof version comes to fruition. That will be amazing!

Me too - I am eagerly awaiting more news on that one!

For anyone looking, Whistlepig's Old World Sauternes finish is out in Maryland. Whistlepig as a whole is a pass for me, but I figured I'd let you guys know.

For anyone looking, Whistlepig's Old World Sauternes finish is out in Maryland. Whistlepig as a whole is a pass for me, but I figured I'd let you guys know.

How many arms and legs are they asking for that one? I see Binny's has it for $120 for a 90 proof bottle. Umm, yeah. Pretty spendy for a low proof bottle that lacks the proven reputation of something like VWFRR so while I will certainly try it if offered a sample it is not likely to be one I will seek out to buy given all of that tunnel rat's baggage.

How many arms and legs are they asking for that one? I see Binny's has it for $120 for a 90 proof bottle. Umm, yeah. Pretty spendy for a low proof bottle that lacks the proven reputation of something like VWFRR so while I will certainly try it if offered a sample it is not likely to be one I will seek out to buy given all of that tunnel rat's baggage.
I saw it for the same price at one of my local stores. As I said to the salesperson who asked me if I wanted a bottle, "that don't don't hunt," and proceeded to go on a long rant about the lack of transparency in Whistlepig's business practices. Thankfully he's known me for a couple years and is tolerant of my occasional outbursts.

That said, if Whistlepig does a Port Finished rye in this series, I will probably end up caving and buying it. Because I am a huge hypocrite. Who am I to let principles get in the way of my hobby?

Thanks for the heads up GB. I probably won't bite on this, as I'm satisfied to stick with the proven 10yr/100 proofer (at a barely tolerable cost of $80 here). I guess I'm old school enough that I can only stand so much BS, and only find it tolerable when I really like it. :grin:

Speaking of, I just snagged another of Vermont's finest today...uh, err, I mean Canada's finest! :o

I saw it for the same price at one of my local stores. As I said to the salesperson who asked me if I wanted a bottle, "that don't don't hunt," and proceeded to go on a long rant about the lack of transparency in Whistlepig's business practices. Thankfully he's known me for a couple years and is tolerant of my occasional outbursts.

That said, if Whistlepig does a Port Finished rye in this series, I will probably end up caving and buying it. Because I am a huge hypocrite. Who am I to let principles get in the way of my hobby?

Hah. What I actually said was "That dog don't hunt." Which is much cooler than what I originally typed.

Thanks for the heads up GB. I probably won't bite on this, as I'm satisfied to stick with the proven 10yr/100 proofer (at a barely tolerable cost of $80 here). I guess I'm old school enough that I can only stand so much BS, and only find it tolerable when I really like it. :grin:

Speaking of, I just snagged another of Vermont's finest today...uh, err, I mean Canada's finest! :o

The reviews are solid enough that I'd buy WP 10/100 if it were $50-$60, but $80 is outside of my tolerance for Canadian Rye.

The reviews are solid enough that I'd buy WP 10/100 if it were $50-$60, but $80 is outside of my tolerance for Canadian Rye.

I am with you. I would probably buy a bottle in the $50 to $60 range, even given the disclosure issues because the reviews are good and there is some certainty that it is Canadian Rye. I won't buy a bottle at $80.

Found HW MWND for the first time under $100. Actually for the first time under $199. Bought both bottles based on how much you all rave about it. And because I love Rendezvous so much.

Saw the Redemption barrel Proof 6yo Batch 3 on the shelf on special for $47. It is usually high $50's to $60. I have seen some of the older age stated Redemption BP's starting to come out (at typically much higher prices) so maybe they are making room? In any case I like the 6yo Batch 3 and have some already in the bunker so I don't really need more.

So naturally one of them came home with me...

Saw the Redemption barrel Proof 6yo Batch 3 on the shelf on special for $47. It is usually high $50's to $60. I have seen some of the older age stated Redemption BP's starting to come out (at typically much higher prices) so maybe they are making room? In any case I like the 6yo Batch 3 and have some already in the bunker so I don't really need more.

Hard to pass up at that price! The 7-year batches have been going for $70-$80 here, and the 10-year is so expensive that I know I'll never try it.

That is a great price on that; while only 6 yrs, I really like the batch 3 as well.

I picked up a 375 mL of George Washington Rye Whiskey from the Mt. Vernon distillery. Way too expensive for what it is, but bought into the whole "chance to taste history". They explain on the tour how they make it, including using historical tools to mash/ferment, cart the distiller's beer to the stills, etc. I'm looking forward to picking up some HH and BT rye white dog later this month, and bringing all three down to 80 proof for a blind sbs. They bottle the GW at 86 proof (although the tour guide said they would have usually distilled it to 80 and sold, although if someone wanted "medicinal" at 100 proof they might do a third pass on some to hit that).

Found HW MWND for the first time under $100. Actually for the first time under $199. Bought both bottles based on how much you all rave about it. And because I love Rendezvous so much.

Excellent. Which Acts did you get? I have Act 2.1 and thoroughly enjoy them. Let us know your thoughts.

Baby Saz, $39. Ten bucks cheaper than what I saw at a different store yesterday.

Passed on Whistlepig 10 for $77 but I have a feeling I might make a return visit this weekend.

Hard to pass up at that price! The 7-year batches have been going for $70-$80 here, and the 10-year is so expensive that I know I'll never try it.

Andrew, I can fix the last four words of your post. PM me before the next Indy get together if you are going and remind me to bring you a sample.

Andrew, I can fix the last four words of your post. PM me before the next Indy get together if you are going and remind me to bring you a sample.

Thanks! I'll try to remember that.

• 2 weeks later...

Veered from my original intention and picked up a bottle of AE Rye. I like a pour of good rum from time to time so I'm hoping I'll like this variation.

Veered from my original intention and picked up a bottle of AE Rye. I like a pour of good rum from time to time so I'm hoping I'll like this variation.

How much did you have to pay and can you PM me the store info assuming it's under $50?

nevermind, just google searched it and doubt it's under $50 here with our stupid liquor taxes. Let us know how you like it either way.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!